Frankly obscene Ring 42.8% subscription increase

Soldato
I would definitely consider the Reolink as a replacement to my Nest if it dies, seeing as they have a PoE version now. Or potentially the UniFi doorbell now that I have a Dream Machine Pro. Staying away from the unifi cameras though, very overpriced for what they are IMO. Maybe if money was no object.
I have the POE version. Hasn’t failed me!!! It’s amazing!!!

Associate
I almost fell off my chair when I had the renewal price come through :eek:

Cancelled my subscription yesterday.

Reolink sounds like a decent package, I'll have to look into it.

My plan is to get away from all Amazon subs by this time next year.

Soldato
Just to verify, if you want picture alerts with Reolink you have to subscribe but there is a way around it with Pushover.

Account, id rather have something I can access just locally with no email account creation. If app requires account to connect to camera that would be the same thing.
You’d need the app to set anything up, but you don’t actually need a Reolink cloud account. You create a local account to sign into your doorbell which is how I have it currently.

To clarify what @SexyGreyFox is saying, the Reolink has a very standard option to send still images via email. If you want to setup Pushover to leverage that and end up with rich notifications- you can. Or you can just receive the emails. Personally because at the moment I only have the sd card storing video right (until I setup my FTP), I have the emails turned on, and setup a rule to send them straight to my gmail trash. So they stay there for 30days and at least I’ll have something in case someone does nick the doorbell.

But once I’ve got my office sorted I’ll build a little NAS and use that as an FTP server as well. Easy.

Edit: The only thing you can’t do DIY with Reolink is the native rich notifications. You have to sub to their cloud service for that. But Pushover works fairly well, it was a little too slow for me but then again my front door is only 6ft odd from the pavement.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
To clarify what @SexyGreyFox is saying, the Reolink has a very standard option to send still images via email.

I actually forgot how good that is, I don't need Pushover

reolinkemailnot.jpg

Associate
Was on the monthly plan so cancelled and signed up for a year at the old price. The price jump is a joke but I’m limited to what I can get but will look at other options next year.

Soldato
You also can't configure intelligent motion notifications where it detects people. Not sure if you can still setup all the detection zone stuff either and tweak it.
You also lose snapshot captures which are useful as you get a picture every 15 mins going back a fair way.
With sub, it’s just a door bell with video intercom function.

I ran it without sub for years but then got 2 punctures the same tyre on our new car 3 days apart and wife found a nail sitting up under another tyre one morning so decided to regain the sub.

No more punctures but won’t be renewing sub as got alternative camera in the house pointing at the car now.

Last edited:
Soldato
My subscription doesn't end till December so I will see what happens with this, I like the functionality with Ring and I do have a doorbell, internal ringer and a second camera.

Will see how this all pans out and where people go with devices...

Soldato
Is there a price increase for the multi device subscription as well? I think I'm paying £80 a year for 5 doorbells / cameras

Associate
Is there a price increase for the multi device subscription as well? I think I'm paying £80 a year for 5 doorbells / cameras
from the ring FAQ for this:
Are prices changing on March 11, 2024 for other Ring Protect subscriptions?

No. The March 11, 2024 price increase only applies to the Ring Protect Basic plan.

Associate
Does anybody have an EZViz door bell? How do you get on with that? How do you find the native app?
in laws just replaced theirs was naff.

The subrsiption was the thing that made me try 2 other cameras first before giving up and getting the ring one.

Knew this was coming, have cancelled and renewed at £34.99 and will look to replace by next March. Will liekly compile a list of alternates from this thread.

Associate
Was it simple enough to do this, didn't throw up any errors? My renewal is due in May.
Just done it. I had a yearly payment. Logged into Ring, cancelled the basic package, got a refund for £22, and just renewed (all done within 30 seconds)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom