• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

Associate
Going to Cali said:
3801d33.jpg

That is a seriously tasty mod :eek:

Associate
True enough, but now you also have an alternative option that avoids the hassle of changing multiple components and offers an upgrade path whilst you wait for DX10/Vista/AM2 to shake itself out?

If we're really honest, sensible doesn't usually come into it when we're upgrading our PC's. I didn't really need to change my graphics card and processor 4 times in the last 18 months now did I?! :D

Soldato
hmm, need to price up a new system, also will wait till the 31st of march before i order card may come on this week only.

also the pci-e version of this same card is 40 quid cheaper so it doesn't seem to be that expensive compared to the pci-e card.

if i want the same card on pci-e then its gonna cost me more than £40 to get a new board and cpu.

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
hmm, need to price up a new system, also will wait till the 31st of march before i order card may come on this week only.

also the pci-e version of this same card is 40 quid cheaper so it doesn't seem to be that expensive compared to the pci-e card.

if i want the same card on pci-e then its gonna cost me more than £40 to get a new board and cpu.

There is a PCI-E 7800GT for £149+vat, would offer the same performance (or more due to the AGP bridge), but without 512MB (which makes no difference currently)

Caporegime
so....

who can tell us why we had to fork out for PCI-e when they can make cards run the comparative speed 3 generations into the PCI-E march after AGP has "died"?

its clear they can make cards like the 7800GT/X run just as fast via AGP as PCI-e.

the cynic in me says blatant cash in to bring costs down and to force. yes force. user upgrade paths?

Caporegime
Nickg said:
so....

who can tell us why we had to fork out for PCI-e when they can make cards run the comparative speed 3 generations into the PCI-E march after AGP has "died"?

its clear they can make cards like the 7800GT/X run just as fast via AGP as PCI-e.

the cynic in me says blatant cash in to bring costs down and to force. yes force. user upgrade paths?

Just the usual bs of evolving tech, to me pci express is good for one thing, multiple vid cards and nothing else yet. AGP bandwidth has STILL not been saturated yet, ati or nvidia could bridge the x1900xtx or 7900gtx to agp with no problems, god only knows they done enough bsing about how good thier bridge chips are yet they've barely been used. If an x1800xt came to agp id dive on it, seen tons of people wanting it done yet nothing. :(

Maybe this kind of release by gainward could make ati and nvidia take more notice of agp users.

Last edited:
Soldato
its about time us agp users got some good cards. games like fear been taking the wee out of us. gonna have to get one of these cards. just gonna wait and see if the price drops or if someone else comes out with another card to rival this one.

Caporegime
Cyber-Mav said:
its about time us agp users got some good cards. games like fear been taking the wee out of us. gonna have to get one of these cards. just gonna wait and see if the price drops or if someone else comes out with another card to rival this one.

Im considering shifting over to an amd shuttle setup, at the mo ive a 4ghz p4 setup. Im gonna wait a bit as well to see whats in the pipeline for agp, i could see maybe a 256mb x1800xt to compete with this.

Back
Top Bottom