• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

Soldato
Man my eyes nearly jumped out of my head when I saw this thread.

Have a 6800GT at the moment and would love to get one of these babies, but £300 is just way out of my league. No doubt they will fly off the shelves though.

I've been toying with selling the GT today and maybe adding £150 cash along with the proceeds from the 6800, but money's tight at the mo so no go. Also, I could probably upgrade to PCI-E with that kind of money.

But Gainward should be commended for doing this.

Associate
Hi,
In my opinion Nvidia and ATI have in a way, through good marketing etc, encouraged a lot of people to splash out on new hardware even though a fast agp system would still be enough,(who can really tell the difference between 60fps and 120fps anyway,especially as several games now have frame rate caps)Agp systems can still play games at good frame rates and this card proves it further,it also makes me wonder why Nvidia spent time designing a bridge chip and then hardly use it?,maybe this card will push Nvidia to make some faster AGP cards.Also if you have a fast agp system what is the piont in upgrading, when Vista is only around the corner and you will probably need a major upgrade again.I don't think there is any reason why a 7800gtx,or even a 7900gt/x cannot be agp after all the whole bandwith issue was obviously just a lot of sales hype towards PCIe and more importantly SLI(double the profits), finally (deos anyone actually know how fast a card has to be to exeed the AGP bandwith?). :)

Associate
Going to Cali said:
Very interested in this. Is it a significant upgrade from an X800XT @ 500/500?
Also, I use an sff and have the case modified to fit an arctic cooler. Is there specs anywhere which show if the cooler is the same size as the ATI 4 rev2 cooler as I would need to know the card fitted before I bought one?

3801d33.jpg

that sff looks real cool

great finish

Soldato
That is really nice

Finally a decent upgrade from my X800Pro on AGP! :D

It's great that it's got a quiet cooling solution on it too - I've got a Zalman VF700Cu on my X800 as I want a quiet PC so I didn't want a noisy fan on the 7800GS

It's a shame that it hasn't appeared in a months time. I really can't afford it until the 2nd May unfortunately at which point they'll probably have sold out :(

Soldato
Some people might just be settled on a SKT754 setup with a nice clocking 3700+ or 4000+ DTR. Having single channel mem doesnt really show in real life performance either.

shrek2 said:
OCUK have 900 units???? Whatever

Why, you got a problem with that? OcUK have most of the UK stock on everything. They sell the most and bring us new products, like limited editions like the Gainward cards etc. No need to have that attitude is there?

Associate
Bennah said:
Why, you got a problem with that? OcUK have most of the UK stock on everything. They sell the most and bring us new products, like limited editions like the Gainward cards etc. No need to have that attitude is there?

If you believe that mans spin I feel sorry for you. He is a salesman afterall.
"We are da only retailer in da universe to have stock" :)
"nvidia never do pricedrops" :)

Caporegime
Bennah said:
Some people might just be settled on a SKT754 setup with a nice clocking 3700+ or 4000+ DTR. Having single channel mem doesnt really show in real life performance either.

ok...

but why not just get a s754 pci-e mobo and pci-e card?

Soldato
It depends if people just dont feel like changing mobo's. My best mate is still on a DFI skt754 board with a 3400+ clawhammer and a 5950 ultra, great fast setup that didnt cost much tbh. He would probably get one of these cards if he wasnt considering going dual core.

People often just like the simple upgrade to change the cpu or graphics card, without changing the mobo. They find it less complicated etc. There is definatly a market out there or Gainward wouldnt be producing the cards. Most systems out there are AGP that have been bought from computer shops etc.

I using a AGP setup right now. P4 2.2a, 768mb pc3200 and a ti4200. I wouldnt mind playing NFSU2 on here, but with buying a 7800 GT, I will be bottlenecked on the cpu. Dont really want to start to plough money into this. I feel that a lot of people out there, will end up buying one of these cards but be cpu bootlenecked...

OcUK Staff
OP
shrek2 said:
OCUK have 900 units???? Whatever

Yes we do!! :rolleyes:
400 Arriving end of this month and then a further 500 arriving approx 2 weeks later. Which leaves 100 units to other UK Resellers/Etailors.

shrek2 said:
If you believe that mans spin I feel sorry for you. He is a salesman afterall.
"We are da only retailer in da universe to have stock" :)
"nvidia never do pricedrops" :)

OK for proof email [email protected] who is in charge of Gainward UK and I am sure he will be more than happy to confirm the 900 units en-route to OcUK. :D :p

Associate
In comparison to a 7800GS its very well priced. Of course, the 7800GS is overpriced compared to its 7800 bethren on PCI-E ;)

I also think a lot of people are forgetting that besides the extra 256MB or ram, this card also has very high ram clockspeeds (compared to the 7800GT) and also has an artic cooler on it. So, its not so badly priced, perhaps £40 too much compared to a 7800GT.

Soldato
I wouldnt fall for the sales hype....900 units, OCUK are not gonna sell out any time soon at £280.

This card has 'This week only' stamped all over it come late April,early May...£200 is a fair price, but £280...no way.

A 'wait and see' approach is the sensible route for this.

Caporegime
I don't see the point in them releasing the high-end cards on AGP, even if they can, as everyone on AGP will just say '**** that i can get the exact same card on PCI-E, and get the PCI-E mobo to go with it for the same price/cheaper'. :)

Soldato
If you're on Socket 940 then it's worth it

The FX53 was released on Socket 940, still a quick CPU, so it seems a shame to buy a new motherboard, CPU, memory and PSU just to go PCI-E with Socket 939

I'm in this situation so that's why it's great news that they've released a high end card on AGP. This'll tide me over till DX10 when I move to AM2/dual core

I just hope they're still around at the beginning of May

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
I don't see the point in them releasing the high-end cards on AGP, even if they can, as everyone on AGP will just say '**** that i can get the exact same card on PCI-E, and get the PCI-E mobo to go with it for the same price/cheaper'. :)

But your forgetting about idiots like me who bought a Dell with a custom Mobo and Case design, which will not take ANY other Mobo's or PSU's, so the ONLY upgrade option your left with is the Gfx card or a completely new Pc.

Thats why i dont understand why anyone would even contemplate buying one of Dell's XPS line of 'gaming' Pc's as they will never be able to upgrade anything...

Back
Top Bottom