Gobsmacked about the Philips Fidelio X1

Associate
I hate threads like this, suddenly looking at a set of new headphones even though they're not as a good a deal as a week or two ago ;)

I have seen these pop up on a number of forums and they always get raved about for the money (particularly as they are $50 off in the US at the moment too).

My one question is that purely from a gaming standpoint, is the upgrade enough (I know it's subjective) to warrant it in your opinion?

I currently have been using for just under 2 years a set of Sennheiser HD 598's on a Creative ZxR (PC), Astro MixAmp (consoles) and Fiio e9+e7 (music). Whilst I listen to music occasionally the main use of any of my headphones is gaming.

I get the impression from threads like this - http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...ng-guide-updated-1-9-2014-shure-srh1840-added that if you into Single Player games the answer might be 'yes' but thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I play TF2 almost daily and these are better than the HD598/HD595 I had. You can use Amazon's excellent returns policy to try them out a couple of days and see what your ears make of them of course :)

Soldato
Honestly, there's a point of diminishing returns. I kept trying to upgrade from Goldring NS1000s based on whatever was the current forum FOTM. Always ended up disappointed.

At the moment I usually use Goldring DR150 or NS1000s for everyday, HD600 for best. I also have a set of MAudio Q40s for a passive closed headphone that doesn't leak but generally prefer the NS1000s. Also have some Sennheiser IE6s. DT770 pros and A900s have been and gone, along with numerous other highly rated headphones that just weren't much better than what I already had.

Of course if you're spending a lot it's always worth trying before you buy. There's always the odd set that comes up at a price that's worth trying on spec because you won't lose much if you sell then on.

However, I will say that HD598 (which I tried in a store ) to HD600 is quite an upgrade

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's the USP of the X1 though, that they have the best features and performance of many headphones out there from the HD650's warmth to the bass response of quality closed back cans and the open soundstage a lot of people like and the physical band design of an AKG. Throw in the build quality of high end headphones to boot...

Even at £50 more than couple of weeks ago (now £200~) I agree with many others, that they are one of the best open back headphones out there given the current price compared to what they should sell for and to get better sound you will be looking to spend silly money extra.

Like I said, get off Amazon and try for yourself for a few days straight because you can return with no quibbles.

Cans like this have not existed before, I was dubious at first hence why I bought both HD598 and these at around the same price.

Soldato
To be honest I think I was spoiled a few years ago when HD555s were £40 and HD595s were £70. They gradually crept up in price and then we're replaced by the HD5x8s. As a result (after trying them) I've since regarded the HD5x8 series as being horribly over priced.

I'd be tempted to try the X1s but not really in the market for new headphones at the moment.

Man of Honour
Oh indeed, I bought the 555 for around that price too and I think the 595 were around £65 so was really chuffed to get such good bargains.

Feeling the same at having paid 151 for the X1 and can see them outliving the ownership time of the Sennheisers. The one reason I didn't get the DT880 Pro was because of reports of the sound stage not being as wide as Senns while the same guys commended the X1 for being wider.

Associate
Thanks chaps.

I'm going to mull this over, but might pull the trigger at some point.

Some absolute bargains in this thread mind. HD595 for < £70, and HD 600's for £120! I paid about £160 for the 598's just under 2 years ago. Although they have been used a lot over that time.

Soldato
Are we expecting x1s to go for £150 again anytime soon? Or indeed creep up over £200?:(

These will smoke my 598s? I may have to sell them then.

Associate
Tough choice isn't it - I'm in the same boat. Annoying when you miss these sorts of deals. I suspect my 598's are probably good enough but the allure of new toys is strong.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say "smoke", the 598s are excellent but the X1s are comfortably better especially the bass and they feel ten times better for build quality and use of materials. That and you can replace the cable with a normal 3.5mm jack cable whereas on the 598 you cannot (needs to be twist lock ended).

If both were still at the same price then X1 no question.

Gangster
Associate
OP
Thanks chaps.

I'm going to mull this over, but might pull the trigger at some point.

Some absolute bargains in this thread mind. HD595 for < £70, and HD 600's for £120! I paid about £160 for the 598's just under 2 years ago. Although they have been used a lot over that time.

Mate, JUST GET THEM I AM TELLING YA, you will sell your 598's like I did, just wait until they are back at £151 on that rainforest site. To be honest I was going to get the HD700 for £600, however Once I saw the Fidelio at nearly 44 percent off, I just couldn't pass on that deal.

Just order them and return them if you dont like them, BARE IN MIND, replace the cable ! I suggest the S flex mini 3 metre which cost me around 13 quid. The stock one is horrible.

Also a lot of people compare it to the HD600's, which is a definte upgrade to the 598's.

Last edited:
Gangster
Associate
OP
I wouldn't say "smoke", the 598s are excellent but the X1s are comfortably better especially the bass and they feel ten times better for build quality and use of materials. That and you can replace the cable with a normal 3.5mm jack cable whereas on the 598 you cannot (needs to be twist lock ended).

If both were still at the same price then X1 no question.

You got it spot on mate. To be honest the 598's are overpriced, but with sennheiser you are paying for quality AND the name. If Sennheiser sold the X1's I believe they would charge double the asking price philips is asking for.

Phillips was bought by Funai Electric Co. And have also stated that they will release more high end headphones along the lines of the Fidelio X1 range. http://www.newscenter.philips.com/m...ertainment-business-to-funai.wpd#.UtQC755_v7g

TLDR: Buy the Fidelio X1's while you can, before they get discontinued, and bring out a "X2" which more then likely cost a lot MORE for similar peformance!

The Rainforest site has them on sale every now and then, just keep a eye out :)

Soldato
I think they shop in the past, that or they have flux capcitors.

TO be honest, if the X1 is warm, almost as good a soundstage, comfortable, look wayyyy better and have any kind of depth or impact to bass, that is 'smoking' the 598's.

I use an AUNE T1 USB/DAC (tube DAC stage) and my 598s are great, but last night I put my beyers in and then I really heard what the music sounds like.

There is this fine line where people talk about bass reproduction and if you want ANY, you are deemed a basshead and therefore not an audiophile. By extension, any cans you do like are therefore not audiophile grade and brand snobbery also plays a part.

I am going to keep one eye to the price of these and watch stock numbers too, if they hit £160 or under I will pull the trigger.

You need bass in music, its a large component pure and simple.
My senns just don't have it.

And 50mm drivers just sound frikkin COOL:D ( i mean I like the idea of 50mm, not sure i've heard drivers that size:))

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I thought the bass on the HD555 and HD595 (595 is more defined, detailed bass) were fine. they didn't go deep like the X1s but they were punchy and detailed. How the X1 differs is that it produces tight and low down bass without any distortion and with all the detail you'd expect from floorstanding speakers.

My Tannoy V4s shake the floors and you can feel the thump in your chest as gun fire blazes in an action movie, you get that same feeling in your head with the X1. In music it's the same except it's the musician's bass or the bellow of male vocals and the bass is strong where it needs to be and not everywhere like on "basshead" headphones *points at Dr Dre* :p

Associate
I bought a pair of these for £150 as well, great cans (and an additional 3.5mm jack cable). Previously had a variety of Beyers (which drop lower in the sub bass), but these are fantastic for the price. Next set of cans for me will be a pair of Denon D7100.

Soldato
Another thing where in the hell did you guys get the HD600 for £100. WHERE DO YOU GUYS SHOP

That was a one off. Play were selling them for £100 couple of years ago I think now. They either quickly sold out, or the price was adjusted not long after due to some error; can't remember exactly. Those who did manage to grab a pair, got a real good buy.

Soldato
Yep got my HD600s from Play.

I regard headphone RRPs a bit like the non-sale prices for DFS sofas though. Most headphones I've bought have been roughly half RRP or less. Just got to wait for a deal.

Last edited:
Associate
I nearly ordered these today, but common sense has kicked in. I'm going to think about these but if they go down will pull the trigger.

Tbh I was looking at the HD 600 or HD 650 becuase I've ended up using the 598's way more than I thought I would. For gaming I get the sense that anything more might be overkill (i.e. AKG K 702 65 Anniversary, HIFIMAN HE-400 etc.) for my set-up.

Oh and thank you for all the input. Very valuable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom