Gobsmacked about the Philips Fidelio X1

daz

daz

Soldato
Treated myself to a late Christmas present and ordered these and a Fiio E17 earlier today. Also ordered a replacement cable. Looking forward to trying them tomorrow.

Soldato
Cool daz let us know how you find them and mention differences between cables:)

What are you upgrading from?

Also we should put an update on this thread for any price drops. I have it sub'd so we can inform each other this way for those waiting for a sale:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Had my X1's a couple of weeks, and friggin love them. :D

Currently listening to some White Stripes - Seven Nation Army, at a decent volume :D

Still using the original cable, but will replace it soon, plus they're just being driven by onboard sound from my mobo and with spotify free (only 160 kbps bitrate) so by no means the best audio quality!! :)

Will get myself a decent USB DAC/AMP soonish, and will get spotify premium too.

Soldato
Aune T1 my friend highly recommended

Oh my that's nice, and cheaper than the Fiio E09/E07K combo I was looking at. It has line out too (I'd be wanting to add a stereo speaker amp for a pair of bookshelf speakers at a later date, seems the best way would be USB DAC/AMP - line/pre out - stereo amp) so that's good.

daz

daz

Soldato
I haven't been able to spend as much time listening to them as I'd have liked today, but I am initially very impressed. :)
They are replacing my Audio Technica ATH-A900 which up until now I thought were fantastic. When I initially listened to the X1s, I wasn't quite blown away like I thought I was going to be. BUT, when I then put my old headphones back on, the difference was pretty staggering both in terms of detail and in terms of bass, warmth and the "smoothness" of the sound.

They are a *very* open headset and so you can't use them in quiet places but if you live in a flat or somewhere where you're not able to crank your speakers up as loud as you would like then I can see that you will be very happy to use these instead.

I still need to do some more testing with cables and with/without DAC, but I'll leave that for a bit later. :)

Soldato
They are a *very* open headset and so you can't use them in quiet places but if you live in a flat or somewhere where you're not able to crank your speakers up as loud as you would like then I can see that you will be very happy to use these instead.

Having not owned a set of open back headphones before, I was quite surprised at how "open" these are :D:eek:

Certainly not a pair you'd use on a train, the whole carriage would be able to tell exactly what song you're listening too, none of this tss-tss-tss-tss that you sometimes hear from cheap earbuds played too loud on the train/bus. :D

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of buying - people in the same (quiet) room will get treated to your taste in music, but next door/parents/neighbours won't be able to hear. :)

Also not the best if you want to listen to something in the same room as a TV, they let in as much sound as they leak out. Otherwise, fanbloodytastic!! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Aye had you not mentioned it in GD I'd have stumbled upon this thread and gone Philips? Wtf?!

I got a neat-o stand for them today in the mail. Bit on the pricey side but then again with the design of the X1 it is pretty deserving of a nice place to be displayed on!

av_rooms_headstand_2.jpg

Caporegime
A very nice headphone stand for some very nice headphones. :)

I just put mine back in the box when I'm not using them.

Could you point me in the direction of that stand though? No idea how pricey you are talking...

Soldato
That is a nice stand. I have a curved 8mm thick acrylic one, will upload pics.

Don't bother playing with fiio anymore, I had an e7 and this T1 demolishes it.
The tube is DAC stage not amplifier as you might expect. Therefore the tube is used ONLY if you use it via USB. If you use it to amp a signal the tube is not used.
Get it from the forest like me. You may have to pay 10-11 quid import VAT.
Will take a few days to arrive.totally worth it just to look at on your desk.you can try different tubes too though I have not done this yet.
There is a big thread on the T1 on headfi.
Get upgrade version of it BTW as only bit more, it gets you a slightly better tube.

Thanks daz, keep any more impressions coming.

Ah that first 'open headphone' moment is amazing, you've done well with these it seems:D yes they leak sound but I don't bother anyone in my room with that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye had you not mentioned it in GD I'd have stumbled upon this thread and gone Philips? Wtf?!

I got a neat-o stand for them today in the mail. Bit on the pricey side but then again with the design of the X1 it is pretty deserving of a nice place to be displayed on!

av_rooms_headstand_2.jpg

Is that the s-flex cable from the rainforest? What's it like, as good to the touch and as anti tangle as the original Philips cable?

Nice stand too :D

daz

daz

Soldato
I have to say I really can't notice a difference with the cable I got from Amazon. If there is a difference, it's very subtle (to me). Perhaps it's that particular cable, perhaps it's Spotify or the music I listen to isn't the right music.

Man of Honour
What one did you get daz?

Is that the s-flex cable from the rainforest? What's it like, as good to the touch and as anti tangle as the original Philips cable?

Nice stand too :D

That's correct!

The stock cable is braided so gels nice but the SFlex is so soft yet still strong and slim profile that you can bend it around virtually anything and it feels like silicone. IMO it feels nicer than the stock cable and the metal ends look and feel really classy!

Associate
Mate, JUST GET THEM I AM TELLING YA, you will sell your 598's like I did, just wait until they are back at £151 on that rainforest site. To be honest I was going to get the HD700 for £600, however Once I saw the Fidelio at nearly 44 percent off, I just couldn't pass on that deal.

Just order them and return them if you dont like them, BARE IN MIND, replace the cable ! I suggest the S flex mini 3 metre which cost me around 13 quid. The stock one is horrible.

Also a lot of people compare it to the HD600's, which is a definte upgrade to the 598's.

Well I did it and ordered them yesterday along with the Fisual cable so will be turning up today hopefully. Panicked a little bit because they were showing as only 12 in stock. Will let you know what I think.

You people on the the forum do end up costing me money! :p

Back
Top Bottom