Godzilla Minus One

Associate
I love the more recent godzilla films and by which I am not counting the abomination that was Matthew Broderick.

This and the new Monarch series is gonna be great kaiju action. Cant wait!

Associate
Not a close follower of the Godzilla franchise by any means, though I typically catch the western releases when they're released (blasphemous!).

Have they purposefully designed it to be closer to the Western version? Last I remember with Shin Godzilla, it was a bit of a weird veiny red design. That latest trailer looked pretty damn good though.

I grew up watching the old 70's rubber costume films and loved some of the monster designs - there were some good ones in the 90's (japanese dubbing and dialogue excepted...) but I really enjoyed the 2014 and 2019 films, especially Ghidorah. The third one was horrific so I'm hoping the TV show brings it back again.

Shin Godzilla was a different take on the franchise, where it's basically a life form that evolves to survive and expand. The film cut the concept short, but there were many other forms it had in the original script including a huminoid, before spreading into space and taking over the Universe as a sort of god.

Godzilla HAS to look like the current western version because it's essentially what the old rubber costume looked like, just in CGI. It's a humanoid shape as if it had a person inside. Scary as **** though.

Caporegime
3pRlVIK.jpg

Plausible? :D

Soldato
This is getting positive critic and fan/audience reviews and is doing quite well in the box office too, considering its limited $15m budget, having made over $35m in just 5 days and I think this one will be a slow starter but pick up speed as word of mouth gets around that this is actually just a really good film and not just a typical "Godzilla" film.

RT Score -
MqGlA5v.png

Empire - 4/5 - "A refreshingly humanist and nostalgic reboot of the iconic monster franchise, [it...] makes the most of the director’s background in animation and VFX direction through convincing, tactile and classic design work."

Roger Ebert - 3/5 - "[it...] is a well-calibrated popcorn movie, and you can hear it in the way that its creators play up fan favorite devices and associations."

The New York Times - "despite the chintzy clichés about Godzilla movies, this one keeps bringing blockbuster brio to heel with a sometimes heavy heart."

Rolling Stone - 4/5 - "It’s a testament to Yamazaki’s work as both director and screenwriter that Minus One feels like a wartime character drama first, kaiju film second."

IndieWire - B+ - "With commendable spatial consistency and crisp CGI, these shows of force strike the right note of terrible awe, deepened by Yamazaki’s emphasis on how much is at stake."

Hollywood Reporter - "[It...] does what all the best Godzilla's strive for, successfully using Godzilla as a foundation for robust storytelling."

Variety - "Yamazki’s thoughtful script holds firm and is dotted with delightful humor at just the right moments. Much of the personal drama is serious and heartfelt but Yamazaki always remembers we’re in B-movie monster land, just not too campy this time around."

Forbes - "[The Director...] weaves his various inspirations and homages into something that is entirely new and masterful, a vision of one of Japan’s greatest cinematic stories as well as the nation’s collective memory, history, and conflicted feelings about honor, sacrifice, guilt, redemption, and the beauty of life even amidst tremendous loss and suffering."

Back
Top Bottom