Godzilla Minus One

Associate
Watched it yesterday. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm not nostalgic for Godzilla as I never grew up on any of the original Japanese movies, and to be honest I've still not seen any of them. I mainly just watch the Western versions.

Having said that, this was very, very enjoyable. It was a good human story, together with the perfect, satisfying amount of Godzilla, and thankfully he's not obscured in the cop-out murkiness of night time. I also echo the comments about being able to achieve what they did on a relatively small budget. There's a lot of much-needed interaction between him and objects in the real world, with people, not just fighting some other giant Kaiju, which gives it a great sense of scale.

I do think it's slightly overhyped. I see some hyperbolic Youtube comments about it needing to be nominated for Oscars and the like....calm down. It's a solid film, but I dunno about Oscar worthy.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Managed to catch this at the cinema today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Simply superb.

This movie reminded everyone (inc western productions) the core elements to not only a good Godzilla movie but how to make a decent creature feature. Its shows not all flashy CGI and flashy computer effects necessarily make a hit. Puts a lot of the past big budget blockbusters to shame, demonstrating the importance of having a good story and screenplay.

The characters and acting was pretty decent and really allowed the audience to invest emotionally and care about the human protagonists. One of the most enjoyable movies I watched this year.

Thanks for the good recommendations.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m going to try and watch this hopefully this week. It’s about the only film I have any desire to watch from the recent crop of rubbish.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Saw this earlier - was good / watchable, although I think for many it would have greatly benefitted from being something different than the ‘usual diet’.

The human side dealing with the fallout of the war for Japan is really good and the destruction scenes are pretty harrowing at times.

Yet for all of its pros - and there are many - there’s really only so much I can get invested in a film like this. The design of Godzilla himself pays homage to the original ‘man in a suit’ look and it’s very silly seeing him plod around like a man in a suit with his gut and diddly t-rex arms. I did like the use of the original music though :cool:

The editing in some of the latter scenes could have been a little tighter IMO as all novelty had worn off for me by then.

Overall a good time, your mileage may vary.

7/10 for me.

8/10 from wife.

Caporegime
Saw this earlier - was good / watchable, although I think for many it would have greatly benefitted from being something different than the ‘usual diet’.

The human side dealing with the fallout of the war for Japan is really good and the destruction scenes are pretty harrowing at times.

Yet for all of its pros - and there are many - there’s really only so much I can get invested in a film like this. The design of Godzilla himself pays homage to the original ‘man in a suit’ look and it’s very silly seeing him plod around like a man in a suit with his gut and diddly t-rex arms. I did like the use of the original music though :cool:

The editing in some of the latter scenes could have been a little tighter IMO as all novelty had worn off for me by then.

Overall a good time, your mileage may vary.

7/10 for me.

8/10 from wife.

Yeah I actually liked the human story a bit better in this one myself than the monster stuff.

Although the super power up was cool

Back
Top Bottom