Godzilla Minus One

Associate
Seeing it next week, surprised I even had close access to a showing.

Friend of mine in America said it's the best human story in Gozilla he'd ever seen.

Caporegime
Apparently the director laughed at that notion and asked where did that number come from?.
I think it's correct. A couple of the numbers bods in this thread have also quoted the figure, and they're never wrong.

I prefer the western monsterverse stuff tbh, but I will watch Minus One when it comes out on streaming as the monster attacking the city stuff looks very good from the 2nd trailer.
I don't think i've been to the cinema to watch a subtitled film before, and if I did it would have to be a bit more cerebral than this popcorn monster action flick!

rp2000

Soldato
Apparently the director laughed at that notion and asked where did that number come from?.

It's the only number currently we have and is currently being used by the likes of these -

The rumour I'd heard is that the "$15m budget" claim came from a single twitter post from a random person and it was that tweet that the director had laughed at, but I haven't seen that original tweet anywhere myself just to confirm if the rumour is true or not.

Caporegime
The rumour I'd heard is that the "$15m budget" claim came from a single twitter post from a random person and it was that tweet that the director had laughed at, but I haven't seen that original tweet anywhere myself just to confirm if the rumour is true or not.
Did you "hear" this rumour, or did you read it somewhere that you can link to?

Edit: Now I think about it 15million is really low. Do you think they forgot to include reshoots, or the marketing budgets? I guess it's possible they get some sort of government subsidies in Japan and that could have reduced the cost, but even then, it seems really low. Like paying people slave labour wages low!

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
Shin Godzilla was around $7million to make, so I'm not sure why folks are so dismissive of a $15million budget for this one. Hell the most expensive Japanese film ever made sits at $45million.

Soldato
Soldato
Caporegime
7/10

It's good but only in a all the other things/films are **** kinda way.

Nothing wrong with it but 8ts a lot more family story than unbridled destruction.

It's fine good for the budget, but if that's the only reason it's good then . Meh.

I'm not a fan of monster movies as B4 mentioned but this one felt better, less tedious, not to say it wasn't hideously cliché, which they all are, they have to be...
They're just not my thing :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Really enjoyed it. It's very Japanese (no bad thing) and looks incredible. The Big G looks great and good destructive rampages are gripping. Amazingly, the characters are interesting too. The attacks are really just the instigating plot events for what is, surprisingly, a really engaging human story.

Back
Top Bottom