• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has RTX Changed The Way We Game?

Soldato
I mean, I just went outside and saw a puddle like this, and there's a breeze at the moment. :)

puddle.png
well if i spent 2k on a front door maybe i can get that impressive visual :D

Associate
In terms of ray tracing, not rtx..... it really doesn't matter, we're only going to see more and more games provide only RT with no option to turn it off as time goes on (spiderman 2 and avatar and metro ee style) so what people think and want means nothing and will have no impact on the natural evolution.
[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.RayTracing=False

;)

Caporegime
[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.RayTracing=False

;)

Not possible in metro ee, spiderman 2 and avatar and if it were possible, the graphics would probably look broken with light, reflections etc. missing entirely since there is no raster to fall back to :p

Soldato
I mean, I just went outside and saw a puddle like this, and there's a breeze at the moment. :)

puddle.png

Someone should downgrade this to raster and screen space effects at best or just grey water. There's a global warming issue and the Matrix is likely consuming more with RTX! Just imagine how much our reaction times would increase in day to day work!

Last edited:
Caporegime
The premiss of the question is wrong for a start, it suggests there is only RTX, when i fact RTX is just Nvidia's renaming of DXR, not that i expect most modern tech jurnoes to know that....

The only thing it does do is indicate which games have had Nvidia influence, those where DXR is branded RTX have Nvidia money and those branded RT or DXR don't, with that you can tell which ones you need an £800+ GPU and those which don't.

For me its not changed how i play games, its changed the way i buy games, those branded RTX i don't buy until they are well in to the discount bin because i don't have an £800 GPU and would never buy such a thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
The premiss of the question is wrong for a start, it suggests there is only RTX, when i fact RTX is just Nvidia's renaming of DXR, not that i expect most modern tech jurnoes to know that....

The only thing it does do is indicate which games have had Nvidia influence, those where DXR is branded RTX have Nvidia money and those branded RT or DXR don't, with that you can tell which ones you need an £800+ GPU and those which don't.

For me its not changed how i play games, its changed the way i buy games, those branded RTX i don't buy until they are well in to the discount bin because i don't have an £800 GPU and would never buy such a thing.
You don't need an expensive GPU to play Metro EE for instance.

Man of Honour
If you don't have an £800 GPU then you don't have to play the game with RT effects turned on. Such is the technology that only one brand of GPU currently runs RT well enough to be enjoyable. Will AMD ever catch up? Yes, but you're pointing fingers at Nvidia for actually adding better graphics to games and to see them is completely optional. Anyone with a 3080 12GB or above can play with RT effects with good enough performance for the most part to enjoy the games at 1440p. Only the more advanced RT effects like path tracing are supremely demanding and you literally need one of 3 cards on the market in order to run them well at the highest in-game GFX settings. It's not Nvidia's fault that AMD haven't given you a GPU option that can match a 3080 when it comes to RT.

All RT features except ray reconstruction are doable on AMD and Intel cards (well once Intel update their drivers to support FSR 3 frame gen too which is open source), they are nothing specific to Nvidia that only RTX cards can run and nobody else. The issue is that no other vendor has put the R&D into making their cards run RT well enough yet. That will change, so you'll just have to be pateint until that change happens and your fav vendor joins the club, you'll probably need to pay AMD at least £800 for such a card as well mind, so back to square 1 :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
You don't need an expensive GPU to play Metro EE for instance.

Doesn't suit the narrative..... Find it amusing, goes on about tech journos not knowing what they're talking about then proceeds onto talking about how RT is a RTX thing and there is nothing else about RTX...... Better not break the news that spiderman 2 is RT only and avatar is RT only (amd sponsored game!) :eek: :D

Can mods rename this thread to ray tracing please as the thread has just ended up being another "lets bitch about RT and how no one cares" rather than actually talking about the RTX feature set as laid out here:

This thread just goes to show how little people know about RT and RTX and have fallen for nvidia marketing and it's no wonder RT gets such a bad rep on here
:cry:
Nvidia marketing team have done wonders here.

RTX is not just simply ray tracing...... Nvidia have got methods via their RTX umbrella to implement certain RT methods but this is not a nvidia specific thing in terms of end result i.e. gamers using RT, amd can still use RT even if the game devs use nvidias RTX technology to implement RT.

RTX is a variety of features:

- DLSS
- DLDSR (I believe this is RTX now but could be wrong)
- HDR injection for videos and now games
- reflex
- frame generation
- video resolution/upscaling
- rtx voice for background removal in calls/recording etc.
- remix

etc.

It's not going to change the way you game..... but what it can do depending on your needs/wants is improve your game experience in one way or another.

Honestly expected better from some of the members posting in here in terms of knowledge on this.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you don't have an £800 GPU then you don't have to play the game with RT effects turned on. Such is the technology that only one brand of GPU currently runs RT well enough to be enjoyable. Will AMD ever catch up? Yes, but you're pointing fingers at Nvidia for actually adding better graphics to games and to see them is completely optional. Anyone with a 3080 12GB or above can play with RT effects with good enough performance for the most part to enjoy the games at 1440p. Only the more advanced RT effects like path tracing are supremely demanding and you literally need one of 3 cards on the market in order to run them well at the highest in-game GFX settings. It's not Nvidia's fault that AMD haven't given you a GPU option that can match a 3080 when it comes to RT.

All RT features except ray reconstruction are doable on AMD and Intel cards (well once Intel update their drivers to support FSR 3 frame gen too which is open source), they are nothing specific to Nvidia that only RTX cards can run and nobody else. The issue is that no other vendors has put the R&D into making their cards run RT well enough yet. That will change, so you'll just have to be pateint until that change happens and your fav vendor joins the club, you'll probably need to pay AMD at least £800 for such a card as well mind, so back to square 1 :p

In the higher range sure Nvidia still has the RT edge, not so much in the mid and lower range. The RX 7900 GRE has about the same RT performance as RTX 4070, even now with the price cuts the 4070 is still £80 or 20% more expensive, its still only single digits faster than my RX 7800 XT in RT. Even then there are instance where my card is faster.

Frankly the only reason people have for spending that much more money on the 4070 now is DLSS, the 7800 XT has 120 AI accelerators, it puts out about 350 to 400 TOPS, lots of hourse power that isn't being used at all yet and easily could be for ML upscaling, my hope is given its being developed for the PS5 pro, which has about 300 TOPS, it will also make it to the RX 7000 series.

With that said its still a £500 GPU, i have lots of games that i enjoy playing, i don't need to be spending £70 for a game and not be able to use the full range of graphics options, that's not why you spend £500 on a GPU, be it AMD or Nvidia.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I still haven't bought Cyberpunk, i thought about it now that its so cheap but then Helldivers 2 came along and i though my money and time is better spent there....

I'll play it, probably when i upgrade my GPU again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
AMD are tipped to be enabling AI acceleration for upscaling (and frame gen by proxy I guess), so yes when they do get round to doing that things will change.

But, and this is the big bit, FSR will then no longer be open source like it is now since it's using proprietary hardware instructions that AMD won't even release to the public just like how DLSS only works on RTX cards.

So whatever people may say, we will all end up in the same hardware non-agnostic boat.

Soldato
I do wonder what effect PT etc has had on game sales?

My 3080 isn't strong enough to enable PT in cyberpunk or AW2, but I've heard so much about how good it looks I won't be playing either of them until I can afford a GPU that can do it.

And at current prices that's gonna be a while. So yeah, back to the thread title - it has stopped me buying those games.

Caporegime
AMD are tipped to be enabling AI acceleration for upscaling (and frame gen by proxy I guess), so yes when they do get round to doing that things will change.

But, and this is the big bit, FSR will then no longer be open source like it is now since it's using proprietary hardware instructions that AMD won't even release to the public just like how DLSS only works on RTX cards.

So whatever people may say, we will all end up in the same hardware non-agnostic boat.

AMD's reason for making FSR work on older gen GTX GPU's is frankley malicious, its purely an attempt to deny Nvidia sales by extending the usable life of those GPU's.

IMO it doesn't work, or if it does its extremely limited, personally i don't think AMD open sourcing absolutely every _______ thing is good business practice, why would you buy an AMD GPU if even their own features are not AMD exclusive, its an idiotic idea.

Other than Free-Sync, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
FreeSync is basically open anyway, it complies with the Adaptive Sync standard for VRR displays, just like how every Gsync monitor works on non-Nvidia cards, every FreeSync display works on Nvidia cards as Gsync Compatible.

Caporegime
FreeSync is basically open anyway, it complies with the Adaptive Sync standard for VRR displays, just like how every Gsync monitor works on non-Nvidia cards, every FreeSync display works on Nvidia cards as Gsync Compatible.

It used to be that G-Sync would only work on monitors that had an Nvidia module in them, adding £150 to the cost of the screen.

Free-Sync did away with all of that, and ironically works on pre G-Sync cards.

Free-Sync is an instance where AMD won, a rare one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Freesync is just amds marketing brand name for vesa adaptive sync, same way nvidias gsync compatible is their brand name for using vesa adaptive sync so AMD didn't win at all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom