• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has RTX Changed The Way We Game?

Soldato
OP
Freesync is just amds marketing brand name for vesa adaptive sync, same way nvidias gsync compatible is their brand name for using vesa adaptive sync so AMD didn't win at all
This ...^

Don't fall for all the marketing names, VESA standards with a new marketing name that's all.

Same with SAM and ReBAR ..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, the only difference from the higher than baseline *Sync from either is that the higher tiers support higher refresh rates and HDR certification. Gsync goes a few bits beyond that with Ultimate requiring a display to have a minimum support like 1000 nits etc.

FreeSync​
FreeSync Premium​
FreeSync Premium Pro (renamed to FreeSync 2 later)​
Tear-free​
At least 120Hz at FHD resolution​
HDR support​
Low flicker​
Low framerate compensation (LFC)​
At least 120Hz at FHD resolution​
Low latency​
Tear-free​
Low framerate compensation (LFC)​
Low flicker​
Tear-free​
Low latency in SDR​
Low flicker​
Low latency in SDR and HDR​

G-SyncG-Sync UltimateG-Sync Compatible
Validated for artifact-free performanceValidated for artifact-free performanceValidated for artifact-free performance
Certified with over 300 testsCertified with over 300 tests
Certified for 1,000 nits brightness with HDR

Man of Honour
SAM also can have a far greater negative impact based on its tendency to put more load on the CPU too going by posts on reddit in the AMD subs. ReBAR is more conservative, Nvidia whitelist more games here and there but you can easily enable it for every game using Profile Inspector and it might yield a few more fps, it might not, but typically losing fps is not a thing when force enabling ReBAR.

Back on topic with RTX though, this is specifically RTX related as it involves Ray Reconstruction and how it handles shadows and finite details that would otherwise be missing in standard ray and path tracing. Some of these details are there in raster because these things are baked into the traditional probing of the scene, but can be lost with RT/PT due to the nature of denoising losing some of those details, and RR bringing them back whilst cleaning up denoising in the process.

I picked this scene by accident as I was walking past it on the way to a missiiong and noticed the strong green casting all over the place, a perfect scene to use to demonstrate Raster vs RT vs PT and Ray Reconstruction's benefits:

LGXDOPy.jpg

IMGsli:
https://imgsli.com/MjQ4MTM2/0/2

Pay special attention to the shadow of the tree on the ground. In raster they are blocky/messy and the motion is messy too.

Last edited:
Associate
SAM also can have a far greater negative impact based on its tendency to put more load on the CPU too going by posts on reddit in the AMD subs. ReBAR is more conservative, Nvidia whitelist more games here and there but you can easily enable it for every game using Profile Inspector and it might yield a few more fps, it might not, but typically losing fps is not a thing when force enabling ReBAR.

Back on topic with RTX though, this is specifically RTX related as it involves Ray Reconstruction and how it handles shadows and finite details that would otherwise be missing in standard ray and path tracing. Some of these details are there in raster because these things are baked into the traditional probing of the scene, but can be lost with RT/PT due to the nature of denoising losing some of those details, and RR bringing them back whilst cleaning up denoising in the process.

I picked this scene by accident as I was walking past it on the way to a missiiong and noticed the strong green casting all over the place, a perfect scene to use to demonstrate Raster vs RT vs PT and Ray Reconstruction's benefits:

LGXDOPy.jpg

IMGsli:
https://imgsli.com/MjQ4MTM2/0/2

Pay special attention to the shadow of the tree on the ground. In raster they are blocky/messy and the motion is messy too.
I don’t honestly see a difference mate. 9/10 people would probably not even notice.

Caporegime
I don’t honestly see a difference mate. 9/10 people would probably not even notice.

I can see the light bounce off the green wall on to the building and floor, that's Global illumination, but you don't need RT to do that, you can do that in screen space.

To me it looks over saturated, it looks overdone to showcase it.

GI in Cyengine 3.8, 2019, no Ray Tracing here, you can see the effect all around but pay attention to the box in the middle foreground.

this makes almost no difference to performance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah much of this can be done in screen space and it looks great, The Last of Us for example uses it to great effect as does Uncharted 4 series. But these are manual labour intensive tasks requiring someone to one by one apply those into the scene - The whole point of RTGI/RTDI etc is that a developer can just apply material properties to the scene then slap in the sources of light and let ray tracing do the rest which cuts down a shed load of labour time which means they can then hopefully spend the saved time on polishing the rest of the game (or we would hope).

Caporegime
Is that why the game has taken like 12+ years to finally see a release horizon, because the artists are painstakingly tapping away with manually applying lighting :o

CIG started with 12 people in 2012 in a residential house, desk's crammed in bedrooms and hallways, you name it....

To now employing 1400 people in 5 studios around the world.

The technology needed to make the game didn't exist, so the invented it, they are still inventing it, for example server meshing where it is truly across one shared, you can not only see across servers but also affect across servers, shoot and kill people across servers, a game development first, and those servers span across billion's of KM, no boundaries, no load screens.

They have built a company from nothing, invented a lot of new tech from nothing, they are also making 2 games, Star Citizen, the MMO and the single player campaign Squadron 42. That's why its taken them 12 years and so far 750 million $.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is that why the game has taken like 12+ years to finally see a release horizon, because the artists are painstakingly tapping away with manually applying lighting :o
They will implement ray tracing, too.

I saw a video way back from CIG about a dev building a scene up, lit it up. Took a lot of time to get it right while it would have been right from the beginning with RT. Akin to a scene 4A (guys behind Metro), demoed with their engine where it showed how much time you save versus manually trying to fake everything with raster.

Last edited:
Soldato
CIG started with 12 people in 2012 in a residential house, desk's crammed in bedrooms and hallways, you name it....

The technology needed to make the game didn't exist, so the invented it, they are still inventing it, for example server meshing where it is truly across one shared, you can not only see across servers but also affect across servers, shoot and kill people across servers, a game development first, and those servers span across billion's of KM, no boundaries, no load screens.

They have built a company from nothing, invented a lot of new tech from nothing, they are also making 2 games, Star Citizen, the MMO and the single player campaign Squadron 42. That's why its taken them 12 years and so far 750 million $.

Well done comrade, you have earned 500 Robertbucks.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
I wish PhysX had the same push RTX has had.

I found that made a bigger difference to games if I’m honest. In a lot of games the environment is static, you could fire a rocket launcher at a wooden crate and it’s still in one piece.

Borderlands 2 was great at the time, and I loved destruction in the earlier battlefield games (yes I know it’s not physX).

I really wish devs focused more on destructible environments and better A.I…

Last edited:
Soldato

This Squadron 42?

Caporegime
I wish PhysX had the same push RTX has had.

I found that made a bigger difference to games if I’m honest. In a lot of games the environment is static, you could fire a rocket launcher at a wooden crate and it’s still in one piece.

Borderlands 2 was great at the time, and I loved destruction in the earlier battlefield games (yes I know it’s not physX).

I really wish devs focused more on destructible environments and better A.I…

Ray/path tracing when used more often will hopefully allow devs to bring back more destruction since lighting/shadows, gi etc. won't be such a pain in the ass to accommodate.

Back
Top Bottom