iRacing

Soldato
It's a slippery slope this sim racing!

Perhaps a Si Turnbull aluminium rig? I don't think you could get one of that standard much cheaper. I believe you can find him on facebook.

I was doing so well for so long, admittedly with big breaks. I got my G25 in 2008 when I first started iRacing (invite stage just before public release iirc) and used it a whole bunch over the years, couple of house moves, definitely got my money's worth out of it that's for sure :)

Cheers, I'll look into that/him, seems like it's 'just' aluminium extrusion like most of them but did look at that years ago and it's kinda awkward to get in the right quantities so guess that's where these guys/companies come in :p

Associate
Their implementation of rain really is top drawer. We've been using week 13 as an excuse to get our practice laps in for the Sebring 12 hour race. We've been trying it in all weather conditions (Apparently the 12 hour will have rain) to try and gauge the cross over points of wet to dry and dry to wet tyres. Mastering the GTPs in the wet is a lot of work and needs patience. However, the reward for getting it right is up there.

Can't wait for the brighter rain lights. Following closely in anything other than light spray is impossible (If you like seeing where you're going).

Soldato
So I did some tweaks yesterday, basically screwed the pedals down onto a chunky piece of scrap wood which improved things a bunch but still could be better with a rig.

Did some more practice, mostly the GR86 at both Okayama, got down to the low 1:45's which seems 'ok' looking at an old forum thread, and the new Ledenon track which I have no idea if my pace is good. Also tried some rain and it seems good.

So today, new season starts and just tried to jump into a practice session but computer says no.

Turns out the new anti-cheat (or new/updated in the several years since I last played) doesn't like VM's. My 'gaming rig' is a VM on an Unraid server. So that sucks.

Had been thinking of getting a standalone/dedicated gaming pc setup again but not sure, the price just keeps spiralling :eek: :p

Associate
and the new Ledenon track which I have no idea if my pace is good. Also tried some rain and it seems good.

Low-Mid 1:33's in the dry at Ledenon (in iracing default conditions) is top-tier pace. If you're doing 1:35s then that's probably going to be quicker than most given how technical and tricky the track is.

In the wet it's different gravy, there aren't really any obvious wet lines to take, it's possibly the hardest track I've come across in the wet so far, and by a sizeable margin.

Last edited:
Soldato
Low-Mid 1:33's in the dry at Ledenon (in iracing default conditions) is top-tier pace. If you're doing 1:35s then that's probably going to be quicker than most given how technical and tricky the track is.

In the wet it's different gravy, there aren't really any obvious wet lines to take, it's possibly the hardest track I've come across in the wet so far, and by a sizeable margin.

Cheers, definitely need to work on it a bit then :p Best is a 1:37, can see there's loads of time to gain still but it does seem quite technical/tricky like you say and being a new (to me) car as well isn't helping. That's the fun of it though :D It was nice to get back up to speed quickly with the Skippy but it's more fun to have to learn.

Tried the wet at Ledenon and yeah, it's tricky, especially when it's heavy enough for standing water it's so tricky.

Associate
I purchased the BMW M4 GT3 ahead of season 2, as well as Nurburgring Combined.

Never done a lap of Nurburgring in my life, so week 13 was a bit of a baptism of fire (or water), experiencing the Nurburgring and the rain simultaneously in the '13th week funny forecast'. Absolutely briliant, gotta be honest.

Also, the Portimao is just downright awesome in VR. What a track.

Associate
Was looking at weather in official races yesterday, mainly formula, and they all seem to have 0% chance of rain.
Is it just going to be random if there is rain or not? Is it based on actual weather at the track?
Also will it rain part way through a session requiring pitstops.

Cant quite work this out

Associate
I'm thinking of racing in this this season.

Anybody done it?

Was looking at weather in official races yesterday, mainly formula, and they all seem to have 0% chance of rain.
Is it just going to be random if there is rain or not? Is it based on actual weather at the track?
Also will it rain part way through a session requiring pitstops.

Cant quite work this out
Formula cars haven't been kitted out for rain yet, only a select few sports cars and prototypes as they are by far and away the most popular cars/series on the service. You can't even set up private sessions with them.

Associate
Formula cars haven't been kitted out for rain yet, only a select few sports cars and prototypes as they are by far and away the most popular cars/series on the service. You can't even set up private sessions with them.
Not sure about this the f4 and new super formula can both use wets. I have been doing practice in the rain on the super car

Associate
Not sure about this the f4 and new super formula can both use wets. I have been doing practice in the rain on the super car
Yeah, the site shows Super Formula Lights, F4, and FF1600's have wets (along with current GT3s, GR86 & Prototypes).

I'd imagine they'll have series which dont include any weather systems in them, to keep things predictable for those who want that, and then they'll have a few weather enabled series.
I can imagine that weather will be one of those things where everyone wants it to begin with, and then once the novelty of it wears thin, people will want 90% of races to be confirmed dry rather than unpredictable.
For me its the endurance format races that weather is best suited to, theres nothing wrong with a drizzly sprint race, but its these longer format races which can often stagnate once the field has spread out with always dry conditions, having unpredictable weather makes everyone believe their luck could change when the weather does.

Soldato
Yeah, the site shows Super Formula Lights, F4, and FF1600's have wets (along with current GT3s, GR86 & Prototypes).

I'd imagine they'll have series which dont include any weather systems in them, to keep things predictable for those who want that, and then they'll have a few weather enabled series.
I can imagine that weather will be one of those things where everyone wants it to begin with, and then once the novelty of it wears thin, people will want 90% of races to be confirmed dry rather than unpredictable.
For me its the endurance format races that weather is best suited to, theres nothing wrong with a drizzly sprint race, but its these longer format races which can often stagnate once the field has spread out with always dry conditions, having unpredictable weather makes everyone believe their luck could change when the weather does.
Rookie series won't have weather, and yeah GT3 sprint won't cause it still has the Ford and another car that doesn't have it.

Associate
Ive not played iRacing in many many years and had been contemplating coming back. I stopped last time because of a lack of motivation to practice, and if i dont practice im not remotely up to speed. Im pretty sure i have about $80-100 credit on there as i stopped playing right after buying discounted credits.
The fact that weather has finally arrived and looks really well done feels like perfect timing to come back. I preferred the longer race rounds back then, 70min rounds rather than 25min or whatever it was, and doing things like the Spa 2.4h road warrior race, so having rain come into play should add even more challenge.

Does anyone know whether they refund content that ive bought which is now free? Feels like a lot of the stuff i bought is either free, outdated (eg Z4 not in GT3 class), or replaced with a newer model (eg Silverstone).
I guess on the plus side theres also plenty of stuff i didnt buy thats free, as well as stuff that wasnt out and is included.

Also, i saw that iRacing now has the ability to test drive all the content, but its only at certain times. Is this only during wk13 or whatever it was, something like this that only rolls around a few times a year? That was always something that bugged me, combined with support saying they'll only refund content once.
Can someone clarify when this happens, and if possible, when that next occasion rolls around and how long the window is? I suspect its at the end of the season and ive got to wait till June or something before i can try a few of the cars. My main concern comes from when i picked a GT3 and we only had the 911, McLaren and the newly released Z4, and i went with the 911 because i think it had a model that could be used in a lower license and i was still working towards C at the time. I absolutely hated it, it just didnt feel predictable to me. I got a refund and bought the Z4 and it felt perfect. The fact that the next unsuitable car i bought supposedly wouldnt be refunded, just makes me not want to spend money finding out whether i like something, and it looks like i'd need a new GT3 car, and i'd love to try the prototypes too.

Associate
Rookie series won't have weather, and yeah GT3 sprint won't cause it still has the Ford and another car that doesn't have it.
Ah ok. Not a member so havent seen any of the specifics like this. I really wish it was easier to see what was going on in iRacing as a non-Member, theres been times when ive wanted to check stuff and you get nowhere without being a paid up member. I got spam from an unofficial series i used to do for years, which i couldnt unsubscribe from because it wouldnt let me into the members area to unsub from the series, and i ended up paying for a month just to shut it up.

Presumably theres still series for each of the formulas which has weather thats open to higher licenses, otherwise it kinda restricts the points by giving them wets but limiting the content to private sessions.

Also the GT3 comment is interesting, i assumed from the wet content, that the current GT3 line-up was limited to those 6 cars, and the other GT3s had been completely dropped. Does that mean the McLaren, Z4 and possibly others can still participate in GT3 sprint races? I expected they'd been dropped, like old-gen stock cars arent racing alongside Next Gen.

Associate
I thought there was a partial refund for this sirt of thing - but it may be when cars/ tracks go to legacy.
Yeah, im not sure. I remember that years ago with some of the cars, like the Nascar stock cars which see more regular replacements, i think they let you buy the new car at 50% off, rather than outright refunding etc.

That said, a quick search finds a recent official statement following Ledenon joining the free list, having only been added as a paid track the previous season, and they're saying no refunds. Thats a d--- move. Like i'd be annoyed if they refused to partially refund Oulton Park for me, for example, but considering its a brand new track and they've already made it free, is a joke.

Its disappointing, but only because their stance was better than 90% of companies in this situation, as they wouldnt have offered discounts/refunds to begin with. Ultimately theres far more free tracks i didnt own that im getting access to, than tracks i've bought that have gone free, so its a little give & take.

Soldato
Just had a great race at Ledenon in the GR86, zero incident points, 3rd on the grid and finished 2nd. Albeit in the bottom split, but it's progress at least.

I keep making so many stupid mistakes in races, I think the nerves get to me. I really tried to focus on just being smooth in the last race and it paid off!

Brands Hatch next week, I expect there'll be rain! I did a test drive on it yesterday in the wet and it was so difficult to drive. It'll be carnage.

Also, i saw that iRacing now has the ability to test drive all the content, but its only at certain times. Is this only during wk13 or whatever it was, something like this that only rolls around a few times a year? That was always something that bugged me, combined with support saying they'll only refund content once.

I could be wrong, but I think this is possible whenever there is server maintenance. As long as you've downloaded the content before the downtime, I think you can test drive it when everything is down.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm thinking of racing in this this season.

Anybody done it?

Signed up, bought the car and a couple of the tracks I didnt have. The car is great, easy to drive...probably not as easy on the limit.

Soldato
I could be wrong, but I think this is possible whenever there is server maintenance. As long as you've downloaded the content before the downtime, I think you can test drive it when everything is down.
Correct, they bring up Test Mode when maintenance starts and keep it open a few hours after it's finished. You can test any cars downloaded (including ones you don't own, but they wait usually 1 season before allowing "new" ones) but you need the tracks. If it lines up, always worth giving some different cars a go to get a feel :)

Back
Top Bottom