iRacing

Soldato
Nice job indeed. I had the opportunity but didnt even consider entering. Bathurst is one track that I just never been able to get consistent with. I absolutely love driving it, 9/10 laps I'm fine, but I just seem to randomly bin it down off Skyline into the Esses.

Associate
I watched quite a few of these "streamer" videos yesterday. The heavy heavy rain showers are not going to be used for any series. For the most part it is going to be light to middling rain levels. This is a good call imo. The lack of visibility would result in absolute carnage.

Soldato
Matt Malone put out a good video showing a timelapse going from Dry -> Wet -> drying

The fact that the track dries only in the tyre tracks of the cars is outstanding. Endurance races are going to be amazing now, instead of being all about maintaining pace for 4+ hours it's now going to be about thinking on your feet and having adaptable strategies.

Associate
I watched quite a few of these "streamer" videos yesterday. The heavy heavy rain showers are not going to be used for any series. For the most part it is going to be light to middling rain levels. This is a good call imo. The lack of visibility would result in absolute carnage.

Thats good to know. The heavy rain showers would not be good in series

Man of Honour
I'm so hyped for this and I don't even know why, I know I'm going to be awful in the wet, I'm hardly that great on a dry surface :D

But it just looks such a well executed version of rain in a driving sim that I can't wait to try it and just see how stuff evolves over a race

GT3's at Nords is a great introduction, I love how they've added that as one of the unranked combos that's getting rain this week

Associate
I managed to get on before most people realised the service was back up. I did practice around a "heavy rain" Sebring in the Caddy GTP. Holy shizzle was it a challenge :cry:

Done maybe 15 mins of practice before I tried to change my car. It all went down hill from there though as it wouldn't let me back in.

Last edited:
Associate
Rain really does feel fantastic. I did a very wet track day at Snetterton a couple of years ago and this replicates the feeling and reaction to standing water/racing line really really well.

I've found the LMP2 to be a bit more manageable than a GT3 (Ferrari 296) personally. I could definitely push much harder, but then braking without ABS in the wet is quite an experience! Pedal haptics are invaluable.

Soldato
So seeing the rain stuff on YT over the past week or so I've gone and re-signed up, I'm back! :D It's been a while...

I actually signed up back on Thursday but after updating and dusting off ye olde trusty Logitech G25 I had no pedal inputs, seems where the cable comes out the back and they've been sat under my desk as a footrest for the past ~3 years it's worn through the cable completely, d'oh.

Thought about just resoldering it but then impulse/laziness/man-maths got to me and I bought a cheap(-ish) set of pedals that I could get asap which turned out to be the Moza SR-P 3-pedal set, ordered late on Thursday and arrived earlier today, happy with that :p Got them setup, first time using a load cell and kinda as expected it's not great just loose on the floor, gonna need to get something sorted out/maybe finally buy or cobble together a rig but overall happy with the pedals/feel/quality.

Jumped on iRacing for some testing, first step was the GR86 which I'm probably gonna be trying to race around the Ledenon which is the first week I think, new car and new track and obviously trying then rain that was kinda pointless so jumped back in the good ol' Skippy around Okayama and it's like I never left. Got down to a 1:45.1, optimal of 44.9, seems that's somewhere around 2s off the pace of the proper fast guys which is in my ballpark really, maybe a bit more to unlock with braking etc but happy with that after 2x 10 lap sessions and felt pretty consistent/comfortable so good times :)

What rigs would people reccomend, ideally as cheap as possible, or should I buy some aluminium or even wood and DIY it?

Maybe I need to ditch the G25 entirely and pickup a DD wheel as well... Who needs money anyway.

Associate
Not played Iracing in many years, but i have to say the rain looks super impressive. Hopefully one day ill have the time to get back into it. I'd love to try the rain on a proper setup.

Associate
So seeing the rain stuff on YT over the past week or so I've gone and re-signed up, I'm back! :D It's been a while...

I actually signed up back on Thursday but after updating and dusting off ye olde trusty Logitech G25 I had no pedal inputs, seems where the cable comes out the back and they've been sat under my desk as a footrest for the past ~3 years it's worn through the cable completely, d'oh.

Thought about just resoldering it but then impulse/laziness/man-maths got to me and I bought a cheap(-ish) set of pedals that I could get asap which turned out to be the Moza SR-P 3-pedal set, ordered late on Thursday and arrived earlier today, happy with that :p Got them setup, first time using a load cell and kinda as expected it's not great just loose on the floor, gonna need to get something sorted out/maybe finally buy or cobble together a rig but overall happy with the pedals/feel/quality.

Jumped on iRacing for some testing, first step was the GR86 which I'm probably gonna be trying to race around the Ledenon which is the first week I think, new car and new track and obviously trying then rain that was kinda pointless so jumped back in the good ol' Skippy around Okayama and it's like I never left. Got down to a 1:45.1, optimal of 44.9, seems that's somewhere around 2s off the pace of the proper fast guys which is in my ballpark really, maybe a bit more to unlock with braking etc but happy with that after 2x 10 lap sessions and felt pretty consistent/comfortable so good times :)

What rigs would people reccomend, ideally as cheap as possible, or should I buy some aluminium or even wood and DIY it?

Maybe I need to ditch the G25 entirely and pickup a DD wheel as well... Who needs money anyway.
It's a slippery slope this sim racing!

Perhaps a Si Turnbull aluminium rig? I don't think you could get one of that standard much cheaper. I believe you can find him on facebook.

Back
Top Bottom