Last Epoch - aRPG (Kickstarter Demo available)

Soldato
Like every popular online game with a centralized server since 2000 tbh

Edit: in terms of the initial week or 2 launch window of any major content.

It's always a balancing act. Servers and network bandwidth are hella expensive and no one wants to install a bunch of servers that will only be needed for a month and then the player base drops off and the servers are no longer needed. For the most popular online games running the servers and internet bandwidth can can run hundreds of thousands of dollars per month. It can be a bit cheaper if you rent servers instead of using your own but while most server providers can ramp up for you, they need to have some idea in advance of what you'd need, and when you rent the servers you always have less flexibility and less support than if it was your server - a number of popular online games have run into troubles in the last year because they rented servers instead of buying them and the server providers couldn't ramp up fast enough resulting in lots of issues for gamers

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
It's always a balancing act. Servers and network bandwidth are hella expensive and no one wants to install a bunch of servers that will only be needed for a month and then the player base drops off and the servers are no longer needed. For the most popular online games running the servers and internet bandwidth can can run hundreds of thousands of dollars per month. It can be a bit cheaper if you rent servers instead of using your own but while most server providers can ramp up for you, they need to have some idea in advance of what you'd need, and when you rent the servers you always have less flexibility and less support than if it was your server - a number of popular online games have run into troubles in the last year because they rented servers instead of buying them and the server providers couldn't ramp up fast enough resulting in lots of issues for gamers
Absolutely, I was just pointing out that this is in no way a new problem players have experienced.

Soldato
yeah they tried to anticipate the traffic and have more total server capacity than required but as usual it was very specific parts which failed. You can see how quickly they where working to try and fix issues, I bet a few of them did 30+ hours straight with no sleep

Soldato
yeah they tried to anticipate the traffic and have more total server capacity than required but as usual it was very specific parts which failed. You can see how quickly they where working to try and fix issues, I bet a few of them did 30+ hours straight with no sleep

Yeah I knew it wasn't a capacity issue when they announced the sales numbers and judds post about preparing etc they had way more than needed, it was the services linking everything together that couldn't cope. The sort of services that are taken for granted and not factored into how it all works.

They struggled to get it under control for days because the player numbers just kept going up by significant numbers 20-30k a day.

If anything though, these past few days have been a huge lesson for them about how important stress testing really is and not to just assume it will work.

Last edited:
Associate
Switched over from focusing on bleed to Necrotic on the Warlock and pumped into Necrotic resistance, feels much better overall. I'm at 435% resistance at the moment so have seen a pretty good damage increase with plenty more potential with some better items.

Absorbing those bone barriers is just broken, I expect that to get nerfed at some point. I was hitting about 80K ward with some moderate investment, but even with nearly nothing it still gives me 35K. I've preferred having that as a quick avoid death combo rather than having transplant for the travel.

I'd dropped a sword that gave me something like +9 to Cthonic fissure and changed it to use flame whip instead of spirits, so that's another variation to try out at some point as well.

Pet Northerner
Don
Started an offline blind playthrough on a Druid.

Not the strongest build I’d imagine but I’m enjoying learning the game as a bear :)

My mates who’ve had it since the KS have already caned through it mind.

I’ll probably do an online toon once the servers are fully stable.

Soldato
Bumped into something new yesterday, or at least it wasn't in the game when I played it in March of last year, might been added before the 1.0 release but after I stopped playing it.

Anyway, was wondering when you guys started unlocking these and if you got any decent drops, and if so, around what level ?

94hRe1a.jpg

I was level 19 when I saw the first one and did activate it, was a bit of knit and sprint fight but got it after a couple minutes. Then a second one a level or two later again.

Soldato
Anyway, was wondering when you guys started unlocking these and if you got any decent drops, and if so, around what level ?

the Mage you kill from them drops an item with a new affix type called experimental so basically kill them if you can handle them, can be a bit rough at the start

Soldato
Started an offline blind playthrough on a Druid.

Not the strongest build I’d imagine but I’m enjoying learning the game as a bear :)

My mates who’ve had it since the KS have already caned through it mind.

I’ll probably do an online toon once the servers are fully stable.

Druid has some pretty bonkers builds tbh, swarmblade, wearbear, maelstrom tornado are all really strong skills. They just take time to really get going.

Soldato
Bought this and played for a bit, but not sure the setting / story was for me. It all seemed rather generic and mobile-gamey and oh so bright. (Assuming it gets a littler darker the further you go)

I’ve refunded and will come back to it in a few months or something. Perhaps I wasn’t in the right mindset for it.

Soldato
Bought this and played for a bit, but not sure the setting / story was for me. It all seemed rather generic and mobile-gamey and oh so bright. (Assuming it gets a littler darker the further you go)

I’ve refunded and will come back to it in a few months or something. Perhaps I wasn’t in the right mindset for it.

LMAO.

Soldato
I'm really enjoying this so far but can't get my head around a few things :

Damage - In a lot of these games when changing a bit of gear you can see the stats change is damag, crit etc. I'm probably missing it but can't find where to easily check this.

Crafting - I can not get my head around this, from shattering items to upgrading/making I've no idea lol

I seem to be doing some decent damage with my mage but I really haven't changed gear for ages as the stats/upgrades are a little confusing.

Any tips appreciated :)

Associate

Damage - In a lot of these games when changing a bit of gear you can see the stats change is damag, crit etc. I'm probably missing it but can't find where to easily check this.

Crafting - I can not get my head around this, from shattering items to upgrading/making I've no idea lol

I seem to be doing some decent damage with my mage but I really haven't changed gear for ages as the stats/upgrades are a little confusing.

If you hover over the skill in task bar it shows your DPS, if you swap an item out this will chnage showing the effect it has on your dps, real easy

Last edited:
Associate

Damage - If you hover over the icons on your skill bar it will give a generic damage per second number in most cases, you can use this for a quick glance to see most improvements. Opening the character sheet with C will give you a breakdown of all the %increases that you from your gear and passive trees. There is a way to check real damage numbers too if you like to test, about half way through the campaign in the Divine era there is a place called champions gate (you go here to use Arena keys). There are various groups of target dummies here that you can attack and see the actual damage as if they were real enemies, extra handy if you use status ailments and want to see things like your ignite stacks are building up.

Crafting - Basic breakdown is that every non unique item has forging potential, you'll see it when you press alt or drop the item in the forge. You use affix shards that you have collected to add a stat to the item, or upgrade one to the next tier (higher number rolls) at a cost of forging potential, once the forging potential reaches 0 you can no longer craft on the item. The glyphs and runes you pick up can be added to cause different effects when crafting, these can range from reducing the forging potential cost for the craft/upgrade, adding/removing stats at random, or in the case of the shattering rune - destroying the item to gain a number of affix shards based on which stats it has, ie if it has % Increased fire damage, you could gain some % increased fire damage affix shards to use for crafting on other things. The higher the tier of the stat rolls, the more potential affix shards you can gain.

The shattering runes can be a little bit of a gold sink when you first start, but by the endgame they are very inexpensive to buy from the vendor to keep yourself stocked up as you gain thousands of gold per run.

It takes a bit of getting used to and understanding, but once you have a grasp on the basic idea of how the system works it becomes quite enjoyable as you can value random item drops quite easily by yourself. Does it have the stat rolls I desire? Is it a direct upgrade? Can I craft to make this an upgrade? Not an upgrade but the affix shards would be nice to have via shattering etc.

The system evolves later on in the game and plays on the experience you've gained by dropping Exalted (purple), these have stat rolls that are drop only T6/T7 (You can only craft T1-5) and as a result can be much more powerful, literally +100% to the damage rolls at times. The idea at this point is that you want an exalted item to drop with a stat that you need or something to good to pass up on, then craft your way around the other stats to fit the build.

There's loads more to it and even more endgame systems where you can create some really bonkers stuff, but as I mentioned earlier, stick with the basics to start with, maybe practice on some items so you get a feel for the forging potential system and can see it working and go from there.

Associate

Video might be a bit out of date, but was pretty good & will cover most of what you need to know

Back
Top Bottom