LG C3 + Plex Server + Remux

Soldato
Hi folks,

I am having trouble (still) streaming Plex to my televisions. My upgrade to the 48inch C3 was the final bit to replace as I've swapped out servers, network gear, wires etc. But still I get constant pausing and buffering.

The latest example was a backup of a 4k ATMOS7.1/10bit HDR movie.

I understand the LG only has 100mbps LAN so I have just switched to 5Ghz WiFi, but I get the same issue. The server streaming is a Dell OptiPlex 3020 (i5 4590/ 8Gb RAM/ SSD). It doesn't seem phased in task manager.

So question is - how can I stream really good quality to my TV? Do I just need to grab a NUC and plug that in directly via HDMI or something?

Soldato
I just use a media player, Am Logic, and directly point to the directories of my NAS HD. No issues with the LG media player, the TV's slow ethernet/wifi etc.

Plays back 4K no problems.

About £40, then install Kodi from SD card so not using Android OS. Far less system overhead.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi folks,

I am having trouble (still) streaming Plex to my televisions. My upgrade to the 48inch C3 was the final bit to replace as I've swapped out servers, network gear, wires etc. But still I get constant pausing and buffering.

The latest example was a backup of a 4k ATMOS7.1/10bit HDR movie.

I understand the LG only has 100mbps LAN so I have just switched to 5Ghz WiFi, but I get the same issue. The server streaming is a Dell OptiPlex 3020 (i5 4590/ 8Gb RAM/ SSD). It doesn't seem phased in task manager.

So question is - how can I stream really good quality to my TV? Do I just need to grab a NUC and plug that in directly via HDMI or something?

WiFi can be a bit hit and miss so just to be absolutely sure that it's not an internet speed/reliability issue, can you try one of those USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapters? They're pretty cheap, I'd suggest the white, TP-link UE300.

Edit: I do NOT suggest the UE300 anymore, just tried it and it completely flopped

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just use a media player, Am Logic, and directly point to the directories of my NAS HD. No issues with the LG media player, the TV's slow ethernet/wifi etc.

Plays back 4K no problems.

About £40, then install Kodi from SD card so not using Android OS. Far less system overhead.

Thanks - that doesn't seem like a bad idea. The reviews seem all over the place though, and the remote experience a bit iffy. Kodi is the new name for XBMC isn't it? I can install that on a NUC which may be more robust/more my server so it lives beneath the TV?

WiFi can be a bit hit and miss so just to be absolutely sure that it's not an internet speed/reliability issue, can you try one of those USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapters? They're pretty cheap, I'd suggest the white, TP-link UE300.
Unfortunately it seems the LG C3 only has USB2.0, and limited compatibility with ethernet adaptors. I'll do a bit more research and see what models may work, albeit limited by USB2.0 speeds.

Soldato
Yeah the IR remote isn't that powerful, you have to direct straight at it. Or if you have the Microsoft IR remote that will work when in Corelec boot.

A PC may be one option but for the price of a single box, plus no issue with Windows, video card, sound drivers, etc. Framerate switching, HDR, DTS X etc etc.

Associate
Unfortunately it seems the LG C3 only has USB2.0, and limited compatibility with ethernet adaptors. I'll do a bit more research and see what models may work, albeit limited by USB2.0 speeds.

My LG CX has the same (USB 2 ports only) but I did a bit of research, and here's what people said:

"all of the USB ports on the CX are USB 2.0 (480 Mbps). 480 Mbps is plenty for Plex server streaming (even if you throw 4k remuxes / 4k rips at it)"

I think many people in the plex community have resorted to using these adapters (especially those with LG TVs )

It's just disappointing that not only have LG not given us a gigabit ethernet port but they haven't even given us USB 3.0 slots...

Anyway - I ordered one, so will see how it performs in a couple of days

Soldato
Avoid those generic Android TV devices like the plague to be honest, most are full of spyware/malware.

I gave up with it on my C9 due to the 100Mbps ethernet port and got an Apple TV 4k which works flawlessly with Plex now.

Does the CX really only have USB 2.0? My C9 has USB 3.0.

Soldato
Avoid those generic Android TV devices like the plague to be honest, most are full of spyware/malware.

I gave up with it on my C9 due to the 100Mbps ethernet port and got an Apple TV 4k which works flawlessly with Plex now.

Mine isn't. Since it boots info kodi

Soldato
OP
My LG CX has the same (USB 2 ports only) but I did a bit of research, and here's what people said:

"all of the USB ports on the CX are USB 2.0 (480 Mbps). 480 Mbps is plenty for Plex server streaming (even if you throw 4k remuxes / 4k rips at it)"

I think many people in the plex community have resorted to using these adapters (especially those with LG TVs )

It's just disappointing that not only have LG not given us a gigabit ethernet port but they haven't even given us USB 3.0 slots...

Anyway - I ordered one, so will see how it performs in a couple of days
Did you grab the tp link one? Let me know your experience please! Have had this issue for years and never considered it was just the network bandwidth. WiFi seems to stutter but probably for different reasons.

Associate
Shockingly, yes. Imagine... the earlier iterations of LG OLEDs had them!
Did you grab the tp link one? Let me know your experience please! Have had this issue for years and never considered it was just the network bandwidth. WiFi seems to stutter but probably for different reasons.
Yep I ordered the UE300, will let you know how it performs

Associate
@dlockers So the TP-Link UE300 arrived today, I plugged it into my LG CX (I tried all the USB 2.0 ports) but no luck, I was only getting 30 - 50 mbps rather than 480mbps (I have a 500mbps connection). Anyway, I'm returning it to the seller, I think i got a faulty one or something or an incompatible one. That doesn't mean the idea doesn't work, it has and still does work for a lot of people, but its luck of the draw in terms of getting the right brand/adapter to work with your TV. The poster above recommended the Rankie gigabit adapter, you could also try the ugreen brand or the 'cable matters' brand and see how they perform for you.

Soldato
OP
@dlockers So the TP-Link UE300 arrived today, I plugged it into my LG CX (I tried all the USB 2.0 ports) but no luck, I was only getting 30 - 50 mbps rather than 480mbps (I have a 500mbps connection). Anyway, I'm returning it to the seller, I think i got a faulty one or something or an incompatible one. That doesn't mean the idea doesn't work, it has and still does work for a lot of people, but its luck of the draw in terms of getting the right brand/adapter to work with your TV. The poster above recommended the Rankie gigabit adapter, you could also try the ugreen brand or the 'cable matters' brand and see how they perform for you.
Thanks - I was waiting for your update with baited breath! I'll give the Rankie and Cable Matters ago. Cheers dude (y)

Associate
Plex can be funny playing files IMO. Our (old) samsung plays mkvs fine, but the plex app on some of the files would buffer, renaming the extension from mkv to mp4 made it play fine.
Do the files play fine on any other device?
Does the server transcode?
Does your TV support Jellyfin? If it does you could see if it plays with that.

Man of Honour
As above. It's the APP that is the issue I believe.

Same telly with different versions, Fire, TV and Apple TV gives differing results. I find the LG apps worse than the others, stutters much more on those than external devices. Powerline ethernet into TV downstairs issues on LG App, Wifi (circa 250mbps) upstairs zero issue.

Last edited:
Associate
What does the Plex dashboard show when you’re playing the film? Are the video and audio both direct playing? Or are they transcoding in anyway?

Back
Top Bottom