LG C3 + Plex Server + Remux

Soldato
Open the Netflix app, click settings, go to bottom right, "Get Help" and then there is a network speed test. Your internet will need to be above 100mbps to show anything tho!

Nice one yeah, much better test.
Ok so the one I am using says 291.21 mbps
I will now remove it and retest.... one sec

EDIT: My line speed is 350mbps Virgin

Last edited:
Soldato
I use Plex on my CX without any issues on the built in plex app. I did have issues originally when wired, so I bought a USB ethernet adapter which worked well, until it just stopped working one day, but then I got better WiFi and have been using that without issue ever since.

Edit - just noticed above mentioning about 50-60GB rips being an issue, I've never really had anything that big, most are 20GB or so I would say for 4K HDR rips in x265

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah and with it remove back to normal ethernet port it says 89.04mbps.

When I used the usb adapter I put it in the side port on the left side of TV as you look towards the panel like you would watch it normally. I can't test the back panel USB ports without taking it off the wall and...well...**** that for now. ;) Mine was off amazon but is now unavailable. Was just a cheapy one called "

Nllano USB 3.0 to Ethernet Adapter, 10/100/1000 Gigabit RJ45 Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Macbook Laptop Desktop PC Tablet Phone Switch PS4 PS5, Aluminum Alloy"​

Soldato
Having a few issues with the LG Plex app in my E9. Plugged back the Shield - which I packed in the garage because i thought I wouldn't need because the Plex app in the TV worked fine for about an year - no issues so far.

Soldato
OP
Nice one yeah, much better test.
Ok so the one I am using says 291.21 mbps
I will now remove it and retest.... one sec

EDIT: My line speed is 350mbps Virgin
Thanks.

How different is the CX to the C3?

Anyway, going to give a cheapie a chance and then worst case get an Nvidia Shield or an Apple TV.

Soldato
Thanks.

How different is the CX to the C3?

Anyway, going to give a cheapie a chance and then worst case get an Nvidia Shield or an Apple TV.

Yeah I don't know. Probably fairly different internally as they are a few years apart now? Saying that, it's probably a very similar USB bus/board setup as it's still USB2.
EDIT: Some people saying in that reddit thread that LG blocked it working via firmware updates. I doubt they would have deliberately nerfed USB2 output, as that would hamper compatibility with usb devices generally.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah I don't know. Probably fairly different internally as they are a few years apart now? Saying that, it's probably a very similar USB bus/board setup as it's still USB2.
EDIT: Some people saying in that reddit thread that LG blocked it working via firmware updates. I doubt they would have deliberately nerfed USB2 output, as that would hamper compatibility with usb devices generally.
Yeah some of the discussion seemed tinfoil hat. I guess they may not want people doing it as it breaks wake on lan and a few other features. We'll see - I think I may have sold myself a Shield or Apple TV in any case :cool: :D

Soldato
Associate
I love that everyone is coming together to help solve this issue. Keep fighting the good fight people! Our expensive TVs should not be limiting our ethernet speeds to 100mbps! Nor should they be limiting our USB slots to USB 2.0! @dlockers should not have to treat himself to an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield! (Or an 8pack Supernova! :eek:)

Soldato
Have 3 x usb ports behind my E9. For the fun of it I connected a belkin usb to Ethernet adapter to the usb ports and used the Netflix network test to see if it makes a difference.
Turns out it’s even slower! Got about 50-65 Mbps where the network port got 87!
So the usb ports are slower.

Soldato
Have 3 x usb ports behind my E9. For the fun of it I connected a belkin usb to Ethernet adapter to the usb ports and used the Netflix network test to see if it makes a difference.

USB 2.0 tops out at 480Mbps so that must be running at 2.0 speeds.

Soldato
I think even the folk with gigabit adaptors are plugging into USB2.0 ports. The idea is that even if they don't hit gigabit, its 2x or 3x the 10/100 speed.

Ah true! Although I misread @Avathar77 post I think, if it was 50-65Mbps and not MB/s then that truly is poor. If it's 60MB/s then that is full USB 2.0 speeds which is certainly a big improvement on 100Mbit ethernet.

Soldato
OP
Ah true! Although I misread @Avathar77 post I think, if it was 50-65Mbps and not MB/s then that truly is poor. If it's 60MB/s then that is full USB 2.0 speeds which is certainly a big improvement on 100Mbit ethernet.
Ah yeah. I still hate the Mb/MB issue since Who Wants to be a Millionaire got it wrong :cry:

I think Netflix measures in Mbps.

Soldato
OP
Either way, I don't regret my Apple TV 4k purchase one bit. It's a joy to use. I've even sacked off the Harmony remote that I dearly loved to use the Apple TV remote alone now.
Haha I am definitely tempted. I imagine Apple are spot on in the TV segment with their no-nonesense approach to interfaces too. I am very torn between the Nvidia and the Apple TV.

Call yourself overclockers? Buncha noobs. ;)
Mummy wosa megabit again?
:mad:

Soldato
Netfilx test on a C9 is giving 261.53Mbps

Line speed?

480mbps is the theoretical maximum throughout of usb2 but maybe people won't see over 300 due to inefficiencies/limitations in hardware. Or software I guess.
Anyone seen anyone get over 400? Vincent did some tests on his HDTV YouTube channel and got about 300 I recall.
On one of the Sony's that had a usb3 port, he was able to get 500 down and 700 up on his gigabit line, using the netflix test.

EDIT: Actually USB2 data rate is often about half the advertised 480mbps. There's lots online about this and it gets very technical. Basically the overheads in the protocol all add up to losses. Remember when you had "fast" SD cards that still only got read by windows at 30MB/s ? Yeah that was USB2 typically maxing out. The best you usually got was 35-40MB/s. That translates to 280-320mbps.

TLDR: USB2 lolz. Take your 250+mbps and be thankful.

Last edited:
Soldato
Silly question, did you disable WiFi when you did this test? Just wondering if it would have possibly latched onto WiFi rather than the usb adapter as priority.

I guess not all the usb ethernet adapters are equal. I might test mine to the limit to prove it's actual maximum via usb2 and usb3. Would be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom