LG C3 + Plex Server + Remux

Soldato
LG are known for their poor compatibility with various media formats
Grab an Nvidia Shield or Apple TV, enjoy your movies and forget about the troubles you've been having

I wouldn't say poor. Most of the files did play. If you rip and encode with knows working codec be fine. Bit if you have lots of different ones yeah could have problems. But a amlogic Kodi box plays a lot more without issues.

Soldato
I wouldn't say poor. Most of the files did play. If you rip and encode with knows working codec be fine. Bit if you have lots of different ones yeah could have problems. But a amlogic Kodi box plays a lot more without issues.

Poor in relation to other current TVs
For example Dolby Vision in an MKV... It needs to be MP4 not MKV even though MKV is one of the most popular containers. Other brands don't suffer from this and LG could fix it, people have been complaining about it for a few years now

Soldato
For example Dolby Vision in an MKV... It needs to be MP4 not MKV even though MKV is one of the most popular containers. Other brands don't suffer from this and LG could fix it, people have been complaining about it for a few years now

I'll try the HDR mkv 4k movies I have couple on HDD I'll report back. Lg c9

VLC codec info. Copying to HD then will plug into side side USB port later

Last edited:
Soldato

Ok tried both. Video works fine, TV HDR logo pops up. Sound is playing however it's not DTS MA HD . the AV pre it shows DTS 5ch + lfe (e arc)

Whereas play on the Kodi box shows DTS ma hd

Last edited:
Soldato
We use Plex in our house on probably about 10 - 15 devices and it all works fine. I sometimes have issues with subtitles but that's a whole different issue.

In terms of Plex Vs my LG CX, it works fine. Has done since we got it. I just run using good old ethernet into the 100mb port. I have an 80GB rip of a 4k Blu-ray which reports to be about 60mb bit rate, and it plays fine. (One of my highest quality rips). I don't recall ever having buffering issues.

I'm aware that some 4k rips can peak at more than 100mb for peaks, but usually they don't for long enough to disrupt the buffer. You need to be sure it's bandwidth by running some tests.

I'd be interested to hear which usb to ethernet adapters play ball as well. Make sure you unplug the ethernet from the normal port and maybe disable WiFi to ensure it uses it properly as priority.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I use Plex on both the LG app and on Apple TV... Generally the LG OS is fine and its what I use for 99% content (kids tv shows, series etc) but if I want to watch a film and it's a UHD Remux, I use the Apple TV with the Infuse App... even the Plex app on Apple TV suffers with some stupid issues with certain files.

Soldato
Found these but unsure if there's any dolby vision samples. I know the LG TV has a HDR+ and Dolby Vision sample video included on the TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@dlockers So the TP-Link UE300 arrived today, I plugged it into my LG CX (I tried all the USB 2.0 ports) but no luck, I was only getting 30 - 50 mbps rather than 480mbps (I have a 500mbps connection). Anyway, I'm returning it to the seller, I think i got a faulty one or something or an incompatible one. That doesn't mean the idea doesn't work, it has and still does work for a lot of people, but its luck of the draw in terms of getting the right brand/adapter to work with your TV. The poster above recommended the Rankie gigabit adapter, you could also try the ugreen brand or the 'cable matters' brand and see how they perform for you.
The Cable Matters USB3.0 adaptor arrived, no good. Even Netflix was throttling. I tried it in USB2 (i.e. the second port). Wife took over the TV but I might try it in port 1 to see if that makes any difference.

Associate
The Cable Matters USB3.0 adaptor arrived, no good. Even Netflix was throttling. I tried it in USB2 (i.e. the second port). Wife took over the TV but I might try it in port 1 to see if that makes any difference.
Oh man, that’s so disappointing. We just can’t get these bloody USB adapters to work! Not sure if it’s worth trying a different brand at this point, perhaps these adapters don’t mesh well with all TVs…

Have a read of this thread:

https://old.reddit.com/r/LGOLED/comments/t5wy5b/new_2021_lg_c1_oled_77_doesnt_work_with_the_usb/

The alternative solutions (Nvidia Shield Pro / Apple TV 4K) are good solutions but costly unfortunately (plus you’d have an additional remote ;))

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi folks,

I am having trouble (still) streaming Plex to my televisions. My upgrade to the 48inch C3 was the final bit to replace as I've swapped out servers, network gear, wires etc. But still I get constant pausing and buffering.

The latest example was a backup of a 4k ATMOS7.1/10bit HDR movie.

I understand the LG only has 100mbps LAN so I have just switched to 5Ghz WiFi, but I get the same issue. The server streaming is a Dell OptiPlex 3020 (i5 4590/ 8Gb RAM/ SSD). It doesn't seem phased in task manager.

So question is - how can I stream really good quality to my TV? Do I just need to grab a NUC and plug that in directly via HDMI or something?
i went through the same struggles - upgraded my nas, for me apple tv has been the way around it, it streams flawlessly 4k remuxes that i have stored, even as big as 100gb. Im not even wired and they run fine.

Soldato
Buying an AppleTV / Shield should not be necessary though. Not really a "solution" to the problem is it. Right I'm going to test it for you dlockers on my CX using a cheap old usb to ethernet adapter.

Soldato
Ok I tested on my LG CX and I can't conclude anything because the only internet speed test app I can find on LG content store is awful. It gives completely random results. Doesn't seem to connect to any decent reliable UK servers so....yeah...not sure how to test it easily.

Soldato
OP
Ok I tested on my LG CX and I can't conclude anything because the only internet speed test app I can find on LG content store is awful. It gives completely random results. Doesn't seem to connect to any decent reliable UK servers so....yeah...not sure how to test it easily.
Open the Netflix app, click settings, go to bottom right, "Get Help" and then there is a network speed test. Your internet will need to be above 100mbps to show anything tho!

Back
Top Bottom