LG C3 + Plex Server + Remux

Soldato
Silly question, did you disable WiFi when you did this test? Just wondering if it would have possibly latched onto WiFi rather than the usb adapter as priority.

I guess not all the usb ethernet adapters are equal. I might test mine to the limit to prove it's actual maximum via usb2 and usb3. Would be interesting to see.
Yes wifi was not connected.

Soldato
Tried a cheaper adapter, seemed to work fine but again - maxed out at 100mbps. I think I'll give up and treat myself to an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield :D

If the adapter is stuck on 100mbps then something is not negotiating at 1gbps. So either your cable or switch or network route back to your router is not capable of gigabit, or the adapter itself it rubbish. The TV would not do anything to cap the usb bus at exactly 100mbps. Just sayin. Enjoy your Apple TV or Shield.

Associate
Just chiming in one this one.
LG CX 48", connected via 5GHz wifi, Netflix speed test is 81Mbps.

Using LG OS Plex app only, streaming from my Plex media server on a Synology DS920 NAS with no upgrades. I have a Plex pass.

No issues with streaming even fairly large/high bit rate 4K HDR files. I do however have massive issues with certain files if I add subtitles (even SRT), but I gather this is a known issue because it starts trying to transcode everything which pushes the bitrate stupidly high.

Soldato
I have the same issue with my LG 65" C3. So I use my Shield.

Happens with any file over 25GB. Some of the best rips I have are about 50-60GB HDR, Atmos and it simply can't cope with even playing letting alone trying to skip.

I used to limit my B9 to anything under 10Gb, but the C2 can handle much more… I typically aim for 20Gb best. Perhaps I can push 25Gb like yourself.

I’ve tried 40-50Gb rips before and it’s a non starter (never mind the time it took to rip!)

Soldato
Not sure if it's been suggested - give Jellyfin a go, I find that Plex gets funny with 4K content at times, and Jellyfin seems to deal with 80+ Gb files much better.

Got the app on my LG OLED, the Shield, and my Pixel 6 - works a charm.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had similar issues on Samsung TV to the OP. Large 4k files would sometimes play and then stop after a minute or so. Seeking could also cause them to crash. Very hit and miss. Thought it was the 100Mb network in the TV tbh and just accepted it.

Samsung Plex app got updated a few days ago and they added a "force direct play" option. Turned this on and files that were previously causing issues play fine. I can see from the server that the container is no longer being changed from MKV>MP4. Seeking within the file works rapidly. 60GB-ish files with HDR, 100 LAN cable in the TV.

Check if you have this option in the LG Plex app and go back to 100 meg cable.

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
I run plex to my samsung wirelessly and it seems fine, do wonder if the plex app throttles it though. Sometimes it's not possible to pause and start from that point as well, always starts from beginning.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use LG Plex app on my C1 and 4K HDR works fine. The only time i have had issues is with Dolby Vison content where it would show in purple and green. I found out that this was due to the TV supporting Dolby Vision content but the LG Plex app doesnt. I switch to my Firecube and it works perfectly.

Associate
LG CX 48", connected via 5GHz wifi, Netflix speed test is 81Mbps.

Using LG OS Plex app only, streaming from my Plex media server on a Synology DS920 NAS with no upgrades. I have a Plex pass.

No issues with streaming even fairly large/high bit rate 4K HDR files. I do however have massive issues with certain files if I add subtitles (even SRT), but I gather this is a known issue because it starts trying to transcode everything which pushes the bitrate stupidly high.
I've had lots of issues with my Plex on my LG CX this weekend.

As above specs
Watched Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Joker.

Movie 1 absolutely fine, 4K HDR, no issues. Movie 2 4K HDR initially fine, unwatchable when subtitles added (yes even OpenSRT not PGS subtitles downloaded directly from within plex), Movie 3 the same, had to change file entirely, Movie 4 had to change file, and change audio from DTS 7.1 to AC 5.1 but then no issues subsequently.

Really a bit frustrating. My wife won't watch anything without subtitles on, so it adds a fair bit of hassle. A couple of times I've given up and just played it on VLC on my PC and taken my keyboard to use as a remote if required. But wondering if I should eventually get a Shield Pro or something. It should just work though!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had this battle for years, honestly just grab a Nvidia Shield Pro (not the tube one) or a solid Android Media Player.

The G2 plays smaller files just fine (TV shows etc) but any larger files I use my Zidoo Z9X Pro and it doesn't skip a beat even with subtitles.

Soldato
The Amazon Fire Cube is currently on offer at £109. I have this and it works perfectly with 4K from my Plex Server. Unfortunately they have never got down to the £59 i paid for mine. You could probably get away with a Fire TV 4K Max (Currently £45) and the RJ45 Adapter (£15.99) should do the job with no issues. Some people are not a fan of the Amazon OS but i never had a problem with it.

Associate
Just to add to the thread as I'm quite a big remux streamer. I use a Nvidia Shield Pro with Plex and I stream a lot of remux's that are stored on my Synology NAS connected via gigabit LAN. No issues whatsoever, it plays DV/HDR and plays TrueHD audio fine.

Associate
I've tried different devices over the years and I have found the Shield Pro to be the best by far. Every other method has a compromise. The Shield connects to my LG CX65 and plays whatever I throw at it flawlessly. This include Dolby Vision Remux with Atmos/DTS-X. It is annoying having to use an external device but I have accepted that if you want maximum quality you have to jump through some hoops!

Back
Top Bottom