Lit Fibre

Associate
I thought it was silly that each provider needs to put their own box on the wall but then I guess the fibres in the street don't necessarily go the same point at the other end. I did toy with the idea of getting an OR connection and a Virgin one so I could have the full set :rolleyes:

Associate
I thought it was silly that each provider needs to put their own box on the wall but then I guess the fibres in the street don't necessarily go the same point at the other end. I did toy with the idea of getting an OR connection and a Virgin one so I could have the full set :rolleyes:
If I am going to get a new box installation every time I switch to another provider other than Openreach my wall will end up with holes and different boxes, they should somehow unify this at one point.

Last edited:
Associate
I was being a tad sarcastic but I doubt a 2nd Alt-Net will fibre up the street so in reality I expect the maximum number of boxes will be 3.

Soldato
They are not allowed to remove Openreach infrastructure. Technically neither are you, but you could if you wanted to. If you wanted the Openreach FTTP cable removing then you need to ask Openreach to take that down.
The simple option is the cable gets damaged and the modem just disappeared, nobody would ever know and Openreach would ft a new one should you move back to there service.

Associate
Just had Lit 1000mb installed with their router. Looking to change over to my own router so my daft question is: do I just plug the Ethernet cable from their modem into mine or is there some setup required. Looking through the thread I’ve seen pictures of modem pages. Also, what is the advantage of a static IP?

Associate
The advantage of a static IP is so you can host services yourself by use things like port forwarding. Normally Lit only give you a CGNAT connection so you can't create rules like this and use it in conjunction with a DDNS service.

I have a static IP and replaced the Lit Fibre router with a PC running OpnSense. I had to spoof the MAC address on the PC so it had the same as the supplied router for Lit to allocated me the correct static IP. This was my experience but it's not everyone's, see earlier in the thread. I've never had the CGNAT connection but my guess is you could just replace the supplied router with your own.

Soldato
Just had Lit 1000mb installed with their router. Looking to change over to my own router so my daft question is: do I just plug the Ethernet cable from their modem into mine or is there some setup required. Looking through the thread I’ve seen pictures of modem pages. Also, what is the advantage of a static IP?
As soon as I had Lit installed I swapped the router. I use an ER-X and came from BT which was PPPoE so I had to change my router to use DHCP in the config settings which took no time at all to do. I've stuck with CGNAT as I don't port forward or host servers. I've usually gone down the Static IP route but happy with CGNAT so far.

Associate
I was going to change the Lit router to my Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway Router (USG). But my USG just stopped working and I could not fix it so I just left the Lit router in place. I had a few problems with the Lit fibre service which required Lit support to update the firmware, reset the router and change settings.

It good to know that people have change the router out.

Last edited:
Associate
Today was the installation day, I subscribed for 1000mbit however on lit app my current speed is above 900 but when I use speedtest standalone app it is not even close it is around 250 download and 80 upload, any idea why?

Associate
Are you doing a test using Ethernet? Wired I always seem to get close to my contracted speeds. I was on 1000 and got 940+ up and down, now on 500 and get 460/470. There is overhead so you'll not get 1000.

Associate
Are you doing a test using Ethernet? Wired I always seem to get close to my contracted speeds. I was on 1000 and got 940+ up and down, now on 500 and get 460/470. There is overhead so you'll not get 1000.
No wire involved unfortunately almost all of my devices comes without ethernet port (iPhone, iPad, macbook, tv, ps5) i did the test using my phone not even foot away from router. :(

Edit: ps5 comes with a port but too far from router.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wireless speed tests are completely worthless. All I will say is that if you are going to be Wi-Fi only then you should have got the 500Mbps plan.

Associate
Wireless speed tests are completely worthless. All I will say is that if you are going to be Wi-Fi only then you should have got the 500Mbps plan.
But when the engineer connected me I was getting 900+ up and down on wireless during the day, now it's below 100mbit, lit app speedtest on my phone connected wirelessly shows above 900.

Associate
Best I ever got when on 1000Mbps was about 700 using WiFi 6 on the iPhone. Just done a successful speedtest, I guess you need to talk to their tech support. That's actually one criticism I have and that is their TS is not 24x7

Associate
Has anyone used eero or any other router instead of Lit’s? I want to set up a network mesh but am not a fan of paying an extra £5 per mesh per month.

I just using the supplied Lit Router with a Ubiquiti switch, cloud controller and three UniFi Access Points with not problem. You can setup the Unifi to a mesh system if you like.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone used eero or any other router instead of Lit’s? I want to set up a network mesh but am not a fan of paying an extra £5 per mesh per month.

I'm using an Asus XT8 direct to the ONT i.e. not using their switch at all. I had to set the XT8 WAN to DHCP and spoof the routers mac address.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom