Massive Car insurance costs?

Man of Honour
Mine is up in a month. Paid £725 last year, admiral, although I’ll switch to yearly payment this year. Curious what silly figure they offer. How long before renewal do they contact you with a price?

Man of Honour
I renewed with Admiral at £370. I got annoyed with the amount of faff involved and didn't want to spend any more time dealing with it.
Surely the majority faff is initially filling everything in on the comparison site which you'd already done :confused:
I mean it's your money but I'd rather the £100ish was in my pocket for ten minutes work

Associate
Mine is up in a month. Paid £725 last year, admiral, although I’ll switch to yearly payment this year. Curious what silly figure they offer. How long before renewal do they contact you with a price?
In my case the auto renewal was switched off. They update renewal quotes 23 days before your renewal date. In my example it was updated on 19th April for a renewal date of 12th May. There was no direct contact from them.

Hope that helps. :)

Associate
My Admiral insurance renewal has gone up nearly £200. Aviva are nearly £200 less than what I paid last year (which is roughly what I expected it should be, considering I have another years no claims). So bye bye to a 20 year odd Admiral customer.

Associate
My insurance is due end of next month, thought I'd just do some quotes at the moment to see what we were looking at. It looks to have gone up just over ~£500 on last year. No changes to my policy or circumstances at the moment :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Last year was £270 + £45 cashback via TCB with Admiral.

This year Admiral wanted £350, and after bartering £320. Would have no cashback.

Went with Hastings Direct via TCB in the end. £318 + £45 cashback. Seem to be well reviewed, so a little more expensive but at least I can speak with someone if I need to hopefully.

I've never had a fault claim and yet insurance keeps going up and up at much faster rates than basic inflation would suggest it should.

Associate
Last year mine was £1090 with Howdens, this year £818 with Admiral, Howdens started off with a £1300 quote and whilst they did come down a bit, it just wasn't near enough to match Admiral.

Soldato
That's interesting. I did a quick quote just to see what prices might look like for me - I'm not due till the start of June. Prices were similar to what I paid last year (~£600). However, I hadn't ticked "are you a homeowner" so I ticked that, and I dropped my mileage down from 6,000 to 5,000 (in the year I've owned the car I've done less than 2,000 miles). And the price dropped by nearly £100. Watch of course, none of this probably will matter when I come to try it again in a months time. :cry:

Man of Honour
Managed to get my partners son insured with Admiral Gold, no black box, for £2700. Decent price I felt for a 20 year old in a new car and his first car.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I was expecting a disastrous renewal from Admiral. Paid £720 last year, £780 offered this year, but that’s based on monthly payment. Will switch to annual this year that comes out to £716. I have to phone them to switch anyway, so will see if they can reduce it, it’s only gone up £60, so I’m sure I can get that off at least. It actually works out cheaper than any comparison quote I got. Result. Not bad for a TTRS convertible! It’s probably more an indicator that I’m getting old.

Last edited:
Soldato
got insurance renewals through over the weekend...... i expected an increase but considering value of both our cars has plummeted in last year, its gone up over £600 :(

£1820. that is for 2 cars for both the wife and I to drive and the house insurance (which is almost £400 of that) but its still a hell of a lot of cash. My wifes accident (not her fault) contributed a little, but only about £100.

i am hoping if i call them i can get it down.
my car is insured for 12000 miles and that is far too high, i can likely cut that to 8000 and still have spare, also the value of my car (2020 ipace) has dropped £9000+ and the wifes (2018 bmw i3 probably £3000 so that may pull it in a bit.

i did a quick meerkat ........... and AA for the ipace is coming in at £775, churchil for the BMW i3 for £375 and i can get equivalent home insurance for £330............. Hopefully Admiral will match as i dont have the energy to change it all and i must admit it is convenient having all policies under 1 umbrella.

I realise for some this will seem like chump change looking at what some of the quotes have been for some folk, but its all relative i guess. i thought i had already done the 3 figure insurance costs for cars, its one of the few advantages of getting old!.

edit..... after the usual banter on the phone am down to £1511, for 2 cars and home buildings and contents.

I can live with that.... The i3 is still £50 more than if i had swapped, and the home insurance £30 more........ but then the ipace is a fair chunk less than my best meerkat quote so all in all its about the same but without the hassle of changing.

Last edited:
Soldato
got insurance renewals through over the weekend...... i expected an increase but considering value of both our cars has plummeted in last year, its gone up over £600 :(

£1820. that is for 2 cars for both the wife and I to drive and the house insurance (which is almost £400 of that) but its still a hell of a lot of cash. My wifes accident (not her fault) contributed a little, but only about £100.

i am hoping if i call them i can get it down.
my car is insured for 12000 miles and that is far too high, i can likely cut that to 8000 and still have spare, also the value of my car (2020 ipace) has dropped £9000+ and the wifes (2018 bmw i3 probably £3000 so that may pull it in a bit.

i did a quick meerkat ........... and AA for the ipace is coming in at £775, churchil for the BMW i3 for £375 and i can get equivalent home insurance for £330............. Hopefully Admiral will match as i dont have the energy to change it all and i must admit it is convenient having all policies under 1 umbrella.

I realise for some this will seem like chump change looking at what some of the quotes have been for some folk, but its all relative i guess. i thought i had already done the 3 figure insurance costs for cars, its one of the few advantages of getting old!.

edit..... after the usual banter on the phone am down to £1511, for 2 cars and home buildings and contents.

I can live with that.... The i3 is still £50 more than if i had swapped, and the home insurance £30 more........ but then the ipace is a fair chunk less than my best meerkat quote so all in all its about the same but without the hassle of changing.
TBF 400 for house insurance seems mega high too. I've just done mine for almost half that. Do you live in a warzone?

Soldato
TBF 400 for house insurance seems mega high too. I've just done mine for almost half that. Do you live in a warzone?
it all depends on the house surely? my mates house insurance is £1500 per year!.

mine used to be around £240 but it's gone up a lot over the last few years... but we have a high level of cover with accidental damage, cover away from home and also have 1 claim in last 5 years (which comes off this year)
I also have my pc on there as a named item.

but yeah it's a little higher than I hoped however the combined amount of both cars and the house is what matters and over all I think £1511 is competitive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Insurance on the other car just came up for renewal. Up from £380 last year to £650 this. Mazda CX5.
Shopped around but only got it down to £570 ish.

It’s cheaper for my other half to insure a 320d with 1 year driving and 1 year no claim, than it is for me to with 5 years driving and 4 years no claims.

Insurance is mental

Soldato
it all depends on the house surely? my mates house insurance is £1500 per year!.

mine used to be around £240 but it's gone up a lot over the last few years... but we have a high level of cover with accidental damage, cover away from home and also have 1 claim in last 5 years (which comes off this year)
I also have my pc on there as a named item.

but yeah it's a little higher than I hoped however the combined amount of both cars and the house is what matters and over all I think £1511 is competitive.
If your mate is paying 1500 he must either live in a mansion or a very rough area. To put your quote in context, a guy I work with claimed for flooding 15 years ago. He told me at the time his insurance was only 50% more than mine. I will say my house insurance has been around 200 since we moved in over a decade ago, but I'd imagine house claims on average are far less than car claims. When I did mine it asked for any single item over a grand and realistically we don't (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing).

Back
Top Bottom