**** Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Thread ****

Associate
OP
Pfft missed this :( went to buy, they were over £900

Saw the offer was valid until 6/4 and thought I had plenty of time, but they updated the price pretty quick.

Should have known it was a misprice.

sp4.jpg

Man of Honour
I'm using mine more and more now as I use it at work, really starting to wish I'd have gone for 8GB of RAM as it does struggle sometimes if I have lots open (i5/4GB/128GB).

Last edited:
Associate
No SP4 updates since February, probably the Windows 10 update V1511:

Improved reliability in numerous areas, including OS and Windows Update installation, start-up, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, AppLocker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery and File Explorer.

Improved performance in video thumbnail generation, NetLogon, Windows Store and standby power consumption.

Improved support for devices including some wearables, displays and printer scenarios.

Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted, and streamlined notification about the corruption.

Fixed an issue causing favourites to be lost after updates are installed.

Fixed several issues that individually could cause certain apps to fail to launch, update or allow in-app purchases.

Improved quality of Cortana voices and translations of multiple languages of an Internet Explorer dialogue box.

Improved support for apps, fonts, graphics and display, flight mode, Group Policy, PowerShell MDM, Windows Journal, Microsoft Edge, printing, touch display, roaming credentials, Push-Button Reset, Windows UX, local and streaming video, audio quality, error reporting, USMT and VHD creation.

Associate
This might be wrong place to ask as I know this is a SP4 thread but what do you guys think would be a good price to offer a mate who is selling a new SP3 i7 8 gb 512gb with docking station, pen and keyboard. I don't even know where to start?

I was looking at SP4s then this came up and has me flummoxed!

Also more related to this thread would I really miss out on anything with buying the SP3 over the SP4 at this spec as this is much higher spec than I was looking at in the SP4 range. I was I initially looking at the SP4 i5 8g 256gb

Last edited:
Soldato
This might be wrong place to ask as I know this is a SP4 thread but what do you guys think would be a good price to offer a mate who is selling a new SP3 i7 8 gb 512gb with docking station, pen and keyboard. I don't even know where to start?

I was looking at SP4s then this came up and has me flummoxed!

Also more related to this thread would I really miss out on anything with buying the SP3 over the SP4 at this spec as this is much higher spec than I was looking at in the SP4 range. I was I initially looking at the SP4 i5 8g 256gb

Not too sure on the price mate, but in terms of differences between the 3 and 4 I can help there :p
Even though the 3 has an i7, the i7 was known to throttle pretty hard at times, thus reducing the performance of it (so essentially it wasn't a huge leap from the i5). This doesn't appear to be as present in the pro 4 however.
Also, the screen on the pro 4 is definitely ahead of the pro 3. You've got the obvious fact that the pro 4 will be faster with newer generation tech inside (6th gen CPU, newer SSD model blah blah blah). To me one of the largest improvements on the pro 4 is that the keyboard and pen is so much better, more so the keyboard - all in all I'd say writing on the pro 4 is definitely better than on the pro 3, due to the new technology inside the screen as well as the new pen!

Man of Honour
Also valid here:

New Intel drivers have shown up:

•Intel driver update for Intel Xeon E3 - 1200/1500 v5 6th Gen Intel Core Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911
•Intel driver update for Intel 100 Series Chipset Family SMBUS - 9D23
•Intel driver update for Intel 100 Series Chipset Family PMC - 9D21

Being reported that two of these driver updates are related to power management. These will hopefully sort out any remaining power issue people may have.

Associate
Not too sure on the price mate, but in terms of differences between the 3 and 4 I can help there :p
Even though the 3 has an i7, the i7 was known to throttle pretty hard at times, thus reducing the performance of it (so essentially it wasn't a huge leap from the i5). This doesn't appear to be as present in the pro 4 however.
Also, the screen on the pro 4 is definitely ahead of the pro 3. You've got the obvious fact that the pro 4 will be faster with newer generation tech inside (6th gen CPU, newer SSD model blah blah blah). To me one of the largest improvements on the pro 4 is that the keyboard and pen is so much better, more so the keyboard - all in all I'd say writing on the pro 4 is definitely better than on the pro 3, due to the new technology inside the screen as well as the new pen!

Excellent thank you, very useful. With that in mind I think I will stick to my original plan of getting an SP4.

Man of Honour
Alert (also valid for Pro 3):

Important update today:

•Microsoft driver update for Surface System Aggregator Firmware
•Microsoft driver update for Surface UEFI
•Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
•Intel(R) Corporation driver update for Intel(R) Display Audio
•NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GPU
•Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500
•Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) Control Logic
•Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) CSI2 Host Controller
•Intel driver update for Intel(R) Imaging Signal Processor 2500
•Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft Camera Front
•Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft Camera Rear
•Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft IR Camera Front
•Microsoft driver update for Surface Camera Windows Hello
•Microsoft driver update for Surface Dock Integration
•Microsoft driver update for Surface Dock Firmware Update

Soldato
Will a us surface pro 4 dock work with a UK surface pro

(also it's a surface pro 3 but I know in general that doesn't matter).

I ask as my parents are going to the US soonish (july). Any other MS gear I should try get? :o

Soldato
Tried to install the update but SP4 went completely black after the green bar filled up on the update screen and wouldn't turn on. Tried a few things but in the end had to hold the power and vol up button to turn on. It then booted back into Windows, checked the update history and it was the System Aggregator Firmware that was stuck. Did a normal restart and it updated normally after that.

Ran the Windows Update troubleshooter and it found a problem with Windows Update, so hopefully future updates will have no issues.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Alert:

Another big update has arrived:

•Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500
•Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) Control Logic
•Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) CSI2 Host Controller
•Intel driver update for Intel(R) Imaging Signal Processor 2500
•Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft Camera Front
•Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft Camera Rear
•Intel Corporation driver update for Microsoft IR Camera Front

When Surface updates are provided via the Windows Update service, they are delivered in stages to Surface customers. As a result, not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but the update will be delivered to all devices. If you have not received the update then please manually check Windows Update later.

•Surface Camera drivers set (v30.10586.7035.1976, driver date 4/21/2016) improves Windows Hello stability.
•Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500 driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
•Intel(R) Control Logic driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
•Intel(R) CSI2 Host Controller driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
•Intel(R) Imaging Signal Processor 2500 driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
•Microsoft Camera Front driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
•Microsoft Camera Rear driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
•Microsoft IR Camera Front driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)

Back
Top Bottom