Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Man of Honour
Nikita Mazepin wins his court case against EU sanctions against him (link in German, and if you run it through Google translate: don't worry that first sentence should be in the past tense). The court found that Nikita's relationship to his father wasn't sufficient grounds for the sanctions against him; probably correct in the general sense, but I'd have thought the money links strong enough to justify in this case.

I think the funniest thing is that he seriously thinks he's a chance of getting back on the grid; he was absolutely dire

Soldato
Isn't he still banned by UK and US?
UK and Canada I believe. As far as I understand he still could have competed in F1 as the the FIA has said Russian and Belarusian drivers could still take part in competitions in a neutral capacity. But it seems he still wanted to 'fly the Russian flag'.

Last edited:
Soldato
He drove as a neutral in F1 (Haas just ran the Russian flag as their livery instead) and he's been driving as a neutral in Asian Le Mans, so I don't think he's that concerned about that.
Yeah you are correct, I thought he'd been banned from F1 because he refused to race under a neutral flag

Was it not coincidence that the Haas's colours were the same at that time and was it that they just couldn't change it in time? Or that it still met with the FIA's approval.
Found this:

Last edited:
Associate
The NZHerald is claiming that Ricciardo has just two races to prove this worth before Lawson gets given a chance. Not sure I believe that one. What do we think, OCUK?
Saw that too. I’m sure he’s been spoken to but 2 races seems way too short, especially since they seem to like Danny.

Probably doesn’t help that Lawson did so well last year - pretty much a guaranteed points boost by bringing him in.

Soldato
Saw that too. I’m sure he’s been spoken to but 2 races seems way too short, especially since they seem to like Danny.
I don't think so. They got rid of devries quick enough, and he wasn't an experienced F1 race driver.
It's disappointing he'd even get another 2 races. I was sure we'd hear something after his showing this weekend.

Associate
I don't think so. They got rid of devries quick enough, and he wasn't an experienced F1 race driver.
It's disappointing he'd even get another 2 races. I was sure we'd hear something after his showing this weekend.
Don’t get me wrong, I agree. Super disappointed at how bad he’s been and I think Lawson did enough last year to earn a seat.

Rumours have Perez already signed on for next year so RBR need to work through their ranks to find another driver, or look externally.

Soldato
I guess it depends how close Ferrari or whoever else could really get. If Perez starts throwing away big points each week, I guess he'll also be on the chopping block, regardless of contract.
I really view Ricciardo and Perez as similar. They're not in their prime now.

Back
Top Bottom