Netflix: Drive to Survive

Soldato
I mean over 90pc of what I watch is fictional.

Then you'll probably like Drive to Survive :D

I prefix this with I haven't watched the most recent season but previously there has been some interesting insights and information contained and it's the closest we'll probably get to a real view of behind the scenes in F1. It's just a shame it's wrapped up in a show where they're more interested in the drama of F1, so make stuff up or ignore certain people or events, than actually trying to provide a real behind the scenes view of F1. By make stuff up, I mean come up a with a narrative and cut together footage and interview or radio comms from multiple races to fit that narrative.

Soldato
I think the teams Youtube channels (McLaren and Red Bull in particular) do a much better job of highlighting the race weekend events then DTS. Its more honest and entertaining too plus you dont have to wait an entire year to watch them.

Soldato
I'll probably watch it just to keep current as I'm sure people will talk about it and refer to things said in it. It's a decent insight into things. I like to get it done before the new season starts if I'm going to watch it.

Caporegime
Not seen any of these at all. Worth watching?
Depends what you want to see. If you're looking for a gritty, hard hitting documentary that doesn't hold back, this is most definitely not that. It has it's moments, but there's always been a lot of bad editing, intentional or not such as overlaying audio/radio from different races for drama, manufacturing drama where there is none, such as them trying to generate a rivalry between Sainz and Norris when in reality they're best mates. Verstappen refused to take part in it up to this series because he said they manufactured fake drama. They're also very picky about who they show. For example in Kimi's last season, Ferrari's last WDC, he never even got a mention at all. Personally it's for the armchair or new fan. If you've been an F1 fan for more than a few years you'll likely find it shallow. If you're a new F1 fan, or even not an F1 fan at all, you may love it.

Soldato
Still enjoying Guenther. Hilarious. :D

Edit - picture quality is excellent in 4K, I don’t usually see F1 this way as I tend to use Now TV.

Edit 2 - Ep. 2 - Toto, what a clown :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Will Buxton bringing the top tier insight again, “What you want to do is qualify first and then have everyone else behind you.”

Edit - and “If you spend more than the cap then you’ve broken the rules.”

Last edited:
Soldato
I watched ep1 today. Not sure it was entirely necessary to start the series with a recap of the last 5mins of Abu Dhabi ‘21, that just got my back up :p

I found it quite tedious actually, I’ll watch ep2 as that is apparently more interesting but yeah.. I probably don’t need a rerun of the ‘22 season either to be honest!

Back
Top Bottom