Netflix: Drive to Survive

Soldato
Lots of other sports have seen how well it works and are doing the same now too. I think there is a Pro Cycling one coming out this year for example, which I'm really looking forward to. The MotoGP one has done a season or two now and is generally much better than DtS too.

Soldato
DtS is the main reason that the sport has suddenly become huge in the USA.
And at a cost, but why am I not surprised, they'll love all the fake dramatics over there. It's still just another version of tabloid and fake reporting and, after watching a couple of episodes, I'll never watch it again. It doesn't represent F1 as a sport at all in my opinion and is corrupting..

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, argue as much as you like about the merits of DtS, but there's no doubting it's been a huge success in its main purpose: bringing a new audience to F1. Fans bought in by DtS will learn the sport in time, just like we all did.
It has, but now we basically have an F1 season that has 3 US races, and god-knows how many in the soulless desert. We also have also had a lot more problems with hooligans actually at the races, but that's probably more from the Verstappen/RB side than anything else.

Soldato
Bit of an odd season this time round. Lots of overlap in consecutive episodes whilst trying to follow narratives from different teams - Silverstone had way too much coverage. Brazil again barely got a mention; that's two years in a row now. Also left out all the Red Bull drama between Checo and Max from Monaco and Interlagos, probably one of the caveats of Max rejoining the show :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Lots of overlap in consecutive episodes whilst trying to follow narratives from different teams
Definitely. They want to have an episode about a team. I would rather they went through in chronological order, but would be happy for them to switch stories... like a normal TV program would. "So, with X happening at Mercedes, meanwhile Y is not happy with Z at McLaren..." etc. This is more how MotoGP did their show and it worked much better IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I don't really understand what they're trying to do with the story arcs. They're all over the shop; it's not chronological yet it's not just following one team either.

Caporegime
Just started watching this. Glad that Hamilton and Merc don't pull any punches when referring to the 2021 shenanigans, with Hamilton saying the title was taken from him and Toto saying that the stopwatch never lies, but this time it did.

Spot on.

Associate
I really hate it coming out so late and at the start of the new season. It's very confusing. Every time I see Matteo I'm like :rolleyes: bye-bye. And Merc is still a dead team this season too.

Soldato
I was going to same the same thing, I thought it came out much later than previous years? Why would I rush through a whole season of DTS in a week if the build-up to the new season has already started - and it's onlly a week until the first race? :confused:

Soldato
I was going to same the same thing, I thought it came out much later than previous years? Why would I rush through a whole season of DTS in a week if the build-up to the new season has already started - and it's onlly a week until the first race? :confused:

Pretty much always the last Friday before the first race weekend, exception being the year COVID caused the start of the season to be cancelled.

S1 - 8th March vs 17th March
S2 - 28th Feb vs 5th July
S3 - 19th March vs 28th March
S4 - 11th March vs 20th March
S5 - 24th Feb vs 5th March

Soldato
Fair enough. I’d have thought they’d do better releasing it a little earlier when people are starved of F1 content, but what do I know. I certainly won’t bother with it having seen the first race now :(

Caporegime
Fair enough. I’d have thought they’d do better releasing it a little earlier when people are starved of F1 content, but what do I know. I certainly won’t bother with it having seen the first race now :(

Netflix only care what happens in the first three weeks. They expect people to binge it before the new season.

Associate
Well since the F1 season is over, there is a ton of footage for Netflix to go through, but after what must be the most boring season since DTS started, I have been struggling to think how they are going to split this across 10 episodes.
So as a laugh, here is my thinking of how DTS Season 6 will look;

Ep1-2 - Back to business with Red bull, Mercedes back foot, Ferrari mixed opening
Ep3 - downfall of McLaren, into development heaven
Ep4 - return of danny ric into danny ric breaking his hand and being back out, cut in small parts of Yuki and Dannys replacement
ep5 - return of danny ric, again! half episode dedicated to alpha romeo as where else you putting their season
ep6 - aston and fernando's dark horse - section on Alpine
ep7 - struggling drivers of the year - Logan, Stroll, Charles
ep8 - obligatory williams episode actually turns into a hype episode for Albon - also catch up on Haas
ep9 - What the hell have Merc and Ferrari done all season? Also quick 5 mins on Carlos win.
ep10 - Red bull domination for final races, obvious toto with "we'll be back next year" and ferrari "working towards consistency" again.

Anyone else got the same concern on how they are going to get this to run 10 episodes?

Soldato
Anyone else got the same concern on how they are going to get this to run 10 episodes?
Well considering they’re absolute masters of making up nonsense for the sake of it, I think they’ll be ok :p

Sorry to widdle all over your thread, but I certainly won’t be watching it. Don’t think I’ve watched it since 2020 I think. I don’t think it’s very good for the sport.

Associate
Thats fair enough buddy and respect your views for it.
Yeah its not the best of things out there, but better than quite literally otherwise nothing and good for the non fans of the world that wish to follow.
I dont need DTS myself, but it certainly adds a bit of excitement playing the "last season on F1!" style of things before the new season.

Thread was made for some laugh and fun, as I think they are going to have a really difficult time to fill stuff with items that are relevant/occurred.

Associate
Wonder whether they're frantically re-cutting now they know Steiner is leaving? At least they've got their star driver back.
Dont see why, he was active for the entirety of last season.
I suspect Steiner's dismissal will be covered in the following season of DTS.

Caporegime
Dont see why, he was active for the entirety of last season.

Because they're all about putting a spin on things, and they'll want to play up the story ready for it's surprise climax.

I suspect Steiner's dismissal will be covered in the following season of DTS.

I'm sure it'll be there, but I think they'll want a "This was Steiner's last season" moment for the last episode of this season.

Back
Top Bottom