Noteworthy Cars for Sale [Appreciation Thread]

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Makes overtaking a far more difficult task

It's fine on motorways but it makes a noticeable difference to visibility on B roads.

Depends on the car, no? I've never once had trouble overtaking on French N-roads in a right hooker. I didn't have any trouble on UK B-roads in dad's old Barchetta. I haven't really tried it in la Citroen (only the occasional dawdling tractor) but I suspect that it's more than doable if required.

Something like the V6 Alfa that I linked is going to have more than enough punch to get around stuff quick if called upon. And the glasshouse is relatively untroubled by pillars and padding and airbag covers so you can see out of it easily even from the other side of the car.

Man of Honour
dY9ifTU.png

OcUK Staff
My old 911:

I might be tempted but having spoke to the owner who purchased it from me it was diagnosed with bore scoring and was consuming oil, was also having corrosion issues, he also said the ceramics were shot, but looks like the dealer has fitted steels, still 40k personally think they are dreaming, but a blast from the past.

Soldato
My old 911:

I might be tempted but having spoke to the owner who purchased it from me it was diagnosed with bore scoring and was consuming oil, was also having corrosion issues, he also said the ceramics were shot, but looks like the dealer has fitted steels, still 40k personally think they are dreaming, but a blast from the past.

Sounds like you sold him a lemon :D :p

Caporegime
My old 911:

Advert says it comes with a full bore report. You saying they have fudged it or perhaps they have fixed it?

OcUK Staff
Sounds like you sold him a lemon :D :p

It has done some 20,000 miles since I sold it and of course as I knew and is well known the gen1 997 and earlier engines were known to be made from chocolate.

Advert says it comes with a full bore report. You saying they have fudged it or perhaps they have fixed it?

Either fudged or rebuilt but if latter you'd expect them to report it having a rebuild or it is fine and just consuming oil, but the guy who purchased it from me did say he had the bores checked in his ownership and scoring was present and oil consumption was up, he also mentioned corrosion appearing on bodywork and hence the main reason him moving it on, though from photos it looks OK but of course photos rarely show corrosion unless very close up.

Think he sold it to WBAC for under 25k, so guess dealer in question purchased at auction, no idea what they paid, but my guess is under 30k.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
There's a reason...

Also - Include screenshots please guys, else the thread will end up just a graveyard of broken links :)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Impressive that it's 50% more displacement than my old M3 but the same power :cry: . Do the aussies follow the USAs level of efficiency :p.

The Holden makes its peak power at rather lower than the 8,400rpm of the E92 M3, plus an extra 175Nm of torque to play with ;) They're not really playing the same game though.

Soldato
The Holden makes its peak power at rather lower than the 8,400rpm of the E92 M3, plus an extra 175Nm of torque to play with ;) They're not really playing the same game though.
Fair enough. I was trying to work out how much of it was shared with the Monaro as that's holden as well.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Fair enough. I was trying to work out how much of it was shared with the Monaro as that's holden as well.

AFAIK it's essentially the Commodore platform (which the Monaro was based off) with a pickup back instead of rear seats. So General Motors LS-type V8s (the LS3 here), tuned for local petrol quality.

Caporegime

Exactly the same, just different rear suspension and a truck bed. In Oz they actually design the ute as the primary function and the sedan is secondary, I witnessed this first hand when we hired a Ford XR6 there back in 2017, the boot was so obviously an afterthought it was hilarious.

As for the power, it's tuned more for torque, and also the engine components aren't nearly as stressed as those in the BMW which is why they probably have much more favourable service intervals, are much more reliable and will last longer. Give it the same state of tune as the BMW and it will become a very different comparison.

Obligatory photo of the car we rented:

a5YV400.jpeg

EDIT:

I forgot I actually took photos of the boot to illustrate the point I made above :D

Look at this finest engineering:

FgVscCT.jpeg

jtLuka2.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly the same, just different rear suspension and a truck bed. In Oz they actually design the ute as the primary function and the sedan is secondary, I witnessed this first hand when we hired a Ford XR6 there back in 2017, the boot was so obviously an afterthought it was hilarious.

As for the power, it's tuned more for torque, and also the engine components aren't nearly as stressed as those in the BMW which is why they probably have much more favourable service intervals, are much more reliable and will last longer. Give it the same state of tune as the BMW and it will become a very different comparison.

Obligatory photo of the car we rented:

a5YV400.jpeg

EDIT:

I forgot I actually took photos of the boot to illustrate the point I made above :D

Look at this finest engineering:

FgVscCT.jpeg

jtLuka2.jpeg
If it works, it works :p . I'm not convinced modern German engineering is a well built as it used to be.

Back
Top Bottom