• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Coming This Summer Featuring 3072 CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
If nvidia get the 980 ti out faster then amd get the 390x it dosent matter how good that card is there will be quite a lot of sales stolen from them!

+1 amd really have dropped the ball on this they should have released befre titan x

Caporegime
If Fijis gona be around the TX performance, then its going to be a fail them waiting for HBM to go on it (as all they'll have saved is a bit of power), they should have just slapped GDDR5 on it, and released it months ago to get some much needed sales, as they'll have had the fastest card out until Nvidia released their TX, now, they'll be lucky to get any, as i can't see many going for them now, especially not with the 980 Ti coming out before it, and their driver support situation on top of it all as well.

Tis are going to be absolutely flying off the shelves, while Fijis just left sitting on them, as how many are gona rush out for a Ti, only to get rid a couple or so weeks later for a Fiji, if Fijis gona be around the same performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like the real specs have leaked

Specification and performance numbers have just been leaked for Nvidia's GTX 980Ti, and to say the least we are pleasantly surprised by them.

According to the leaks from VideoCardz Nvidia's GTX 980Ti will be a cut down version of the GTX Titan X, as was expected, but it is not as cut down as we initially expected.

Nvidia have only disabled one SMX unit from their GM 200 GPU core and halved the GPUs memory, meaning that this GPU should lean more towards the Titan X than the GTX 980 in performance terms. With one less SMX unit the GTX 980Ti will have 256 less CUDA cores than the Titan X and 768 more CUDA cores than the GTX 980.

Right now we do not know that price of this monster GPU from Nvidia, but if it is $750, which is just about half way between the GTX Titan X and the GTX 980, it will pretty much render the GTX Titan X redundant as a purchase unless you really need those 12GB of VRAM.

In terms of performance the GTX 980Ti will perform almost identically to the Titan X, making me think that Ti should stand for "Titan Irrelevant" rather than anything else.

Right now we do not know if Nvidia have disabled any ROP units on the GTX 980Ti, like they did on the GTX 970, so right now we cannot confirm if it suffers from the same memory issues.

Right now the GTX 980 "Titan Irrelevant" looks like a really great deal, but until Nvidia release the cards pricing and we can confirm all of this information for ourselves this should be considered nothing but a rumor.

Source - http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/nvidia_gtx_980ti_specs_and_performance_leaked/1

*EDIT*

Oops nevermind looks like LoadsaMoney got there first :p

Soldato
Hey bud, long time no see.:)

Going reference as my current wf 780's get too hot in sli. Board in sig doesn't help either. So ill move to skylake with a better spaced board, (z87 is a bit long in the tooth now too) and a reference cooled ti, better solution should I go sli again. Which i inevitably end up doing.

same boat here, WF3 780 SLI, like you in hindsight reference would have been better

Caporegime
This cut-down crossbar **** isn't filling me with confidence tbh. If my 980's overclocked can pretty much match a pair of Ti's then I'll stick to what I've got for a while.

Or I could switch to AMD for the LOLs and awesome driver support :p

Associate
I'd be delighted at £559.00, ill be going with a reference cooled card this time. No more mistakes with aftermarket cooled models.

Why? Can you elaborate? I had non reference MSI 780s and EVGA 970s in sli and I was very happy with them. Yes, top cards were always hotter but nothing extreme in my case. Very quiet solution as well. I have Titan X now and I am not impressed with the noise of this thing. Hearing two of them would be too much for me:)

Caporegime
Why? Can you elaborate? I had non reference MSI 780s and EVGA 970s in sli and I was very happy with them. Yes, top cards were always hotter but nothing extreme in my case. Very quiet solution as well. I have Titan X now and I am not impressed with the noise of this thing. Hearing two of them would be too much for me:)

My current board in sig has only a one slot gap between the gpu's. The top card gets as high as 85c despite a pretty aggressive fan profile. This leads to a lot of heat in the case due to the design of the wf cooler. Knock on effect is a rise in cpu temps. I've found that if I limit fps in games to 60, it leads to not just lower gpu temps but also a 10c drop in cpu temps. 75 - 65c.

Permabanned
Yeah this is where I would expect the 980 Ti to come in and the 980's to get a price drop.

970's sold extremely well at launch
980's did reasonably well
Titan X's did good considering the price

I don't think it will cause the 980's to drop in price as NVgreedia know that their loyal fan base will pay any price regardless. Only AMD can shake things but if the 980ti launches before the 390X then Nvidia will run away with sales....again.

Man of Honour
Looks like this won't be the last GM200 card.

Expect another in 6 months time with a core spec the same as the TitanX.

NVidia have almost told us what the performance of the flagship AMD Fiji card will be as well as they don't see the need to launch a full fat GM200 card at the moment.

Associate
Looks like the real specs have leaked

Source - http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/nvidia_gtx_980ti_specs_and_performance_leaked/1

*EDIT*

Oops nevermind looks like LoadsaMoney got there first :p

This is an interesting concept.

Was 780TI similar to Titan like this? I remember they didnt want to come out with a 8gb version of the 780Ti because it would make Titan irrelevant.

Im thinking NVIDIA should have made Titan X a bit more powerful and the 980ti at least half of that power.

I just hope Im able to play witcher 3 at 4k @60FPS ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom