O11D EVO XL

Associate
Well i ran into a major snag with my build. Purchased the Case, Distro and 3 420MM rads. When teh supers came out i checked EK's compatibility charts and saw the RTX 4080 Super Gigabyte OC Gaming listed as compatible with there Gigabyte Master water block. Lovely day or so i thought, picked up the 4080 Super on launch for a good price (as good as they get these days), looked today to pick up the water block and boom, the card has been removed from the compatibility list. Now i am completely stuck, all parts are well past the possibility of return. Spoke to Ek and they had listed the card on there compatibility list because Gigabyte told them "it should work" Ek done no due diligence at all for themselves, did not check PCB schematic (which i am sure they could have got with a NDA) or even a visual comparison of a picture compared to the previous non super PCB.

Looked around for other water block manufacturers but compatibility with Super cards seems limited. Thinking i may sack off the custom loop for this build and go AIO, selling off Rads and Distro but of course i no longer have original packaging as i fitted them in the new case for space saving means. So frustrated

Maybe sell 4080s instead and buy 4080 non-s? The performance diff is negligible.
2Nd hand WC parts go for cheap so you will lose a lote of money.

Yeah that stuff really sucks. If they've advertised compatibility with the product, and that fails to be the case, then that shouldnt be tough tiddys for the customer.
I guess that doesnt exactly solve your issue either way, because you'd still be stuck with a GPU and no block. It wouldnt surprise me if EK did eventually start launching Super blocks though, they do seem to support a large chunk of the GPU market, but if i was in the same situation i'd be uneasy with having everything just sitting there fingers-crossed hoping that one day it'd happen.

Last edited:
Associate
Im starting to think i probably wont get around to water cooling mine now. I really want to do it, but its kinda hard to justify the total cost (~£2k) as the only justification would be cos i think it looks more impressive.
As it is i still owe £1k in financing to OCUK/Novuna (12mo interest free, the money is sitting in savings account) and i cant pick a 140mm fan to pull the trigger on cos i basically want the Lian Li TL LCD fans but with RGB fan blades.

Associate
Yeah that stuff really sucks. If they've advertised compatibility with the product, and that fails to be the case, then that shouldnt be tough tiddys for the customer.
I guess that doesnt exactly solve your issue either way, because you'd still be stuck with a GPU and no block. It wouldnt surprise me if EK did eventually start launching Super blocks though, they do seem to support a large chunk of the GPU market, but if i was in the same situation i'd be uneasy with having everything just sitting there fingers-crossed hoping that one day it'd happen.
There solution was for me to sell my Graphics card and they would give me 10% a waterblock for which ever replacement card i purchased. Told them to stuff, must have spent thousands with them over the years, wont again. They even admitted publishing the wrong and unverified information re compatibility

Associate
Well SUPER blocks are niche within a niche. Most of the people able to splash £1000 for a gpu and another £1000 for water cooling will go with 4090.

Associate
There solution was for me to sell my Graphics card and they would give me 10% a waterblock for which ever replacement card i purchased. Told them to stuff, must have spent thousands with them over the years, wont again. They even admitted publishing the wrong and unverified information re compatibility
Thats not terrible in a way, but i suspect i'd be saying the same thing if i was in your shoes. It kinda feels like this is more on Gigabyte than EK though, 'it should work' isnt a very good answer, but EK arent exactly in the clear because they're selling something using this information, and 'it should work' isnt definitive and they should have pushed for it.

Well SUPER blocks are niche within a niche. Most of the people able to splash £1000 for a gpu and another £1000 for water cooling will go with 4090.
Yeah i guess so.

Soldato
Im starting to think i probably wont get around to water cooling mine now. I really want to do it, but its kinda hard to justify the total cost (~£2k) as the only justification would be cos i think it looks more impressive.
As it is i still owe £1k in financing to OCUK/Novuna (12mo interest free, the money is sitting in savings account) and i cant pick a 140mm fan to pull the trigger on cos i basically want the Lian Li TL LCD fans but with RGB fan blades.
A custom loop doesn't have to cost 2 grand - I bought a couple of job lots of fittings, second hand.

I picked up 30-40x 13/10 & 16/10 Soft tube fittings (mainly Bykski & Barrow) in black & silver for under £120.
I also grabbed a load of black EK hard tube fittings for £80.
Barrow AM4 CPU Block £28
Phanteks 2080Ti block & backplate (Chrome) £58
Barrow D5 Pump & 120mm Res for £35
2x like new EK PE360 radiators for £70.
3m Black EPDM tubing for £15.
£15 for EK Kryofuel.
£20 on 6x Arctic Cooling P120 PWM-PST
Maybe £15 on miscellaneous other bits

Total spend: £506

I appreciate it's still a fair amount for no noticeable performance increase (over a Noctua DH15, or even the dearest AIO), but at nearly 70% less than the cost of buying new, I didn't feel quite so wallet-bummed.

Last edited:
Associate
A custom loop doesn't have to cost 2 grand - I bought a couple of job lots of fittings, second hand.

I picked up 30-40x 13/10 & 16/10 Soft tube fittings (mainly Bykski & Barrow) in black & silver for under £120.
I also grabbed a load of black EK hard tube fittings for £80.
Barrow AM4 CPU Block £28
Phanteks 2080Ti block & backplate (Chrome) £58
Barrow D5 Pump & 120mm Res for £35
2x like new EK PE360 radiators for £70.
3m Black EPDM tubing for £15.
£15 for EK Kryofuel.
£20 on 6x Arctic Cooling P120 PWM-PST
Maybe £15 on miscellaneous other bits

Total spend: £506

I appreciate it's still a fair amount for no noticeable performance increase (over a Noctua DH15, or even the dearest AIO), but at nearly 70% less than the cost of buying new, I didn't feel quite so wallet-bummed.
Yeah, I have a box full of watercooling stuff from '07 that used to cool a pair of 8800 GTXs that i've kept for almost 15 years which is doing nothing so maybe i could use the 3 rads in there.
The problem i have compared to yourself is i need present day gear (4090 & AM5 blocks) rather than a generation old or more, and very few people are going to buy all that gear and then sell it within a year of it being on the market etc. When Zen5 and 5000 series hits, then maybe it'll theres a discounted opportunity there, but its still likely going to be around £1.5k i think, especially as im really only interested in EK gear. If i was more flexible, i'd save a chunk more, although that also applies the buying new.

EK Distro plate - £410
EK 4090 block - £350
EK AM5 - £110
EK 420 Rads - £110 (x2/3)
8-9 Lian Li fans - ~£360 (£30-50/ea) <-- I really could do with buying some fans regardless, but if im buying the above, im not doing it with the mishmash of fans that'll do for now.

Thats almost £1500 before i get into fittings, tubes and any bending & cutting type gear. The only item i can realistically buy 2nd hand with a comparable discount would be the radiator, and if i got 2 at half price, it still only £100 off £1500+ and another issue to overcome is im pretty reluctant to buy things 2nd hand unless i cant justify buying it new. My Samsung G9 super-ultra-mega-double wide monitor was 2nd hand from here (3rd owner, all OCUK forum members) simply because i had 3x 1080p ultrawide monitors which were fine and didnt need replacing with a £1200-1500 monitor, but £550 was easy to swallow.
I have a decent amount of disposable income at the moment, and in the last month bought a £300 headset (i often wear a hearing aid, so no audiophile) & £700 gaming handheld to keep me entertained for 2-3mo during hospital appointments (found out 2 days later it should be less than 6wk) which would get me the majority of what i wanted to watercool the PC, i just spent it elsewhere because those were things that had been bothering me for a while and they solved those issues. The watercooling doesnt solve anything, it'd be £1500+ decor that only i would appreciate, and im not ruling it out its just that other silly things like headphones & handhelds will get bought before this (wanna get back into iRacing incl new wheel etc), and i still need to pay off £1k of the system i already have (i have it in savings, but its high interest and limited deposits, so takes ~8mo to put it back in).

I wanna do it, its just low down on the list of priorities and the only aspect im 100% on is buying some fans as soon as i can settle on something. The old Lian Li's would have been fine (SL140 INF) but then they had to release LCD fans and now thats added to the 'must have' list, but they dont have lit blades.

Associate
Picked one of these up at the start of the week, along with some RGB fans to go with my AIOs and extra intake fans. I've got it configured in reverse as it's on the left hand side.

A bit of tidying up to do and more cable management at the back (The moving 2.5inch drive door thing is hiding a lot of sins :o :cry:)

Added a pci-e extension card for extra internal USB headers this morning and I've now got the full front IO up and running. The case was a dream to build in and very easy to setup.

Overall I'm very impressed, my PC got moved and now lives on top next to my TV. The generic black windowless Corsair case it previously lived in was looking rather drab.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom