*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Try covering up the sensor thats between the lenses at the top with black tape

Yeah I've tried covering it and it doesn't work - I do think @drakulton is onto something about it being the sensor though, I cast it to my phone last night through the meta app and the screen was visible through the phone in certain circumstances (such when the headset was displaying a system message). Even when dark, quickly covering and uncovering the sensor would cause the display to reappear (though only on the phone screen) for a split second.

I'm waiting to hear back from Meta customer support but @drakulton has very kindly offered to do some minor surgery on the headset to bypass the sensor.

Soldato
Yeah I've tried covering it and it doesn't work - I do think @drakulton is onto something about it being the sensor though, I cast it to my phone last night through the meta app and the screen was visible through the phone in certain circumstances (such when the headset was displaying a system message). Even when dark, quickly covering and uncovering the sensor would cause the display to reappear (though only on the phone screen) for a split second.

I'm waiting to hear back from Meta customer support but @drakulton has very kindly offered to do some minor surgery on the headset to bypass the sensor.

Do you know anyone with a Quest 2? Removing the facial interface reveals six small screws which hold down the inner faceplate where the sensor is located. Unclipping the sensor connector and trying a sensor from a know working unit would be a good place to start to confirm the sensor is the issue. Sensor ribbon cable is shown at 1:14

Soldato
@[HB]Rugrat

Proximity sensor lens cover from the dropdown

Last edited:
Associate
Update: Well I have to hand it to meta - I heard back from them a few hours after the last post above. They took me through the normal troubleshooting stuff (which obviously still didn't work) and then to my surprise they said to send it back so they can send me a replacement despite it being nearly three years old. I don't know if it had a longer warranty than 12 months or what but the replacement just arrived and is updating!

Soldato
just tried out my new gun stock for the quest 2, it's a sanlaki mini gunstock, £31.50 (ebay), and it's good. i've owned the bigger gunstocks that cost a lot more and this mini one is 90% as good as those. i've also tried a couple of cheapo's from aliexpress with mixed results.
Sorry for the thread revival, do you still have the stock mentioned above and what did you think of it? Recently got contractors (late to the party I know...) and am looking at stocks but do not want to spend a small fortune

Associate
Sorry for the thread revival, do you still have the stock mentioned above and what did you think of it? Recently got contractors (late to the party I know...) and am looking at stocks but do not want to spend a small fortune
It's ok for the price if you want to get a feel for how gunstocks are in VR, or aren't too worried about getting the best experience out of 1, it will definitely help your aiming and is preferable to no gunstock. If you decide you want a full size 1, have a look at BowkVR, great gunstocks imo and top customer service.

Soldato
It's ok for the price if you want to get a feel for how gunstocks are in VR, or aren't too worried about getting the best experience out of 1, it will definitely help your aiming and is preferable to no gunstock. If you decide you want a full size 1, have a look at BowkVR, great gunstocks imo and top customer service.

Ah thanks for the heads up, I will certainly take a look.

Associate
Well, the trigger in my son's right hand controller gave up. Looking around used controllers are about £80-£100.
Known issue as it is held in place by a small screw into a tiny piece of plastic, the plastic had failed.
Ordered a new outer casing from a fast chinese shop for £18 and repaired it the other night.
Took about 15 mins of which 10 was trying to re-connect the ribbon cable, as there is so little room to get in.

He is well happy as it now works again exactly as it should.

Soldato
Posh boy looking down his nose at me just because I have a quest 2 :)

Actually its just about the game, not the actual Quest itself.

My Quest 2 says hi.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Soldato
Hi all

Just picked up a Quest 2 and am totally new to all this VR. Seems a nice piece of kit and although I am using it with an old PC and a link cable (through USB 3.0) it works ok. Cant upgrade PC as funds are limited, which is why I waited so long until the Quest 2 prices came down (got a new 256Gb one for £245)

I really got it to play around with MS Flight Sim and for this its playable but not so good - can someone point me to a thread or link on how I can adjust the resolution etc that is going to the headset - I have tried and am stumped - downloaded OpenXR but cant get that to start, and there doesnt appear any options to switch resolution and detail in the VR side in game?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi all

Just picked up a Quest 2 and am totally new to all this VR. Seems a nice piece of kit and although I am using it with an old PC and a link cable (through USB 3.0) it works ok. Cant upgrade PC as funds are limited, which is why I waited so long until the Quest 2 prices came down (got a new 256Gb one for £245)

I really got it to play around with MS Flight Sim and for this its playable but not so good - can someone point me to a thread or link on how I can adjust the resolution etc that is going to the headset - I have tried and am stumped - downloaded OpenXR but cant get that to start, and there doesnt appear any options to switch resolution and detail in the VR side in game?

Thanks

Are you using Link/Airlink? If so you can reduce the resolution by altering the setting in the Meta Quest desktop PC app.

If you're using virtual desktop then you can set this in its settings menu.

Soldato
Hi, thanks for the replies, I am using a link cable and I know my PC is woefully out of date and dont expect it to run it well, just want it to run the best it can with what I have - I'll live with it until I can get some more funds but to upgrade it will be a big expense.

What I am ideally looking for is a guide to set it up for a crap PC, I have an i7 [email protected], 24Gb DDR3 RAM and a 1080Ti - not expecting anything close to decent, just the best it can do.

I have played with OpenXR Toolkit, Oculus Tray Tool and the NVidia control panel, along with the game settings, but all the guides I can find are for such better machines all I seem to do is make it worse!

Soldato
You're almost certainly going to have to massively dial back the resolution and detail settings to run modern VR games on that setup. The important thing is to do it via the PC client software that you're using - Link/Airlink, Virtual Desktop or Steam Link.

You proably will also have force on reprojection so the games run at 45fps and interpolate up to 90fps.

It also might be best to purchase Virtual Desktop as it has a custom runtime for OpenXR games that can give a decent performance boost.

Back
Top Bottom