Poll: Official 2023 Sao Paulo Grand Prix Thread - Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace, Sao Paulo - Round 21

Rate the Interlagos Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
They pitted on the end of lap one due to damage, but the red flag wasn't dropped immediately so they ended up being counted as a lap down when they started. I'm not sure why they weren't allowed to unlap themselves during the red flag.
unfortunately the regulations don't allow for any unlapping under Red Flag scenarios because at that point there is no racing, once the decision was taken for a standing start all cars go out in grid order for a formation lap then those that have to start from the pit lane drop in, during formation laps you're not allowed to adjust your lap position.

Caporegime
unfortunately the regulations don't allow for any unlapping under Red Flag scenarios because at that point there is no racing, once the decision was taken for a standing start all cars go out in grid order for a formation lap then those that have to start from the pit lane drop in, during formation laps you're not allowed to adjust your lap position.

You could just send the lapped cars out for an extra lap to unlap themselves and join the back. Those may be the regs but it's a weird discrepancy compared to the safety car.

Soldato
That is quite an oversight, crazy that you can unlap yourself behind safety car but not under red flag. Would have thought it would be safer under red flag while there are no other cars on the grid

mjt

mjt

Soldato
They pitted on the end of lap one due to damage, but the red flag wasn't dropped immediately so they ended up being counted as a lap down when they started. I'm not sure why they weren't allowed to unlap themselves during the red flag.
Gotcha. They can unlap under safety car, but not red flag. And there wasn't another safety car so they were a lap down at the very start :(

Last edited:
Associate
I don't understand why they pitted to retire the cars instead of staying out behind the safety car in case there was a red flag.

Caporegime
I don't understand why they pitted to retire the cars instead of staying out behind the safety car in case there was a red flag.

Ricciardo's car had no rear wing, staying out meant a high risk of ending up in the wall - plus they'd almost certainly have got meatballed. Piastri's pit crew told him he had to pit because of danger to the engine - perhaps damage to the exhaust system? Neither car were really in a position to wait it out in the hope of a red flag.

Caporegime
I hate completely stupid and disingenuous articles like this:

There is nothing McLaren or Norris could have done to prevent Max winning here. The small little tussle they had close to the start was a red herring. Max immediately created a gap, and was untroubled for the rest of the race, eventually winning by 9 seconds (most likely without ever having to really push).

"Lando Norris showed that Red Bull no longer has a comfortable F1 advantage". Lol, what? They absolutely do.

Last edited:
Associate
Max in the Red Bull has a definite comfortable advantage, Perez in the same car not so much although still enough to be second in the championship, this race he performed a lot better than recent races so maybe he's settling down in his own head again and not pressuring himself as much. I think personally if Max and Lando were both in RBR it would be a lot spicier but i'm happy for Lando to stay with Mclaren

Caporegime
Max in the Red Bull has a definite comfortable advantage, Perez in the same car not so much although still enough to be second in the championship, this race he performed a lot better than recent races so maybe he's settling down in his own head again and not pressuring himself as much. I think personally if Max and Lando were both in RBR it would be a lot spicier but i'm happy for Lando to stay with Mclaren

The very fact that Perez will get 2nd in the championship, even after his woeful qualifying and countless mistakes/poor performances tells you everything about how dominant that car is.

I guarantee if Alonso, Leclerc, Norris, Hamilton, Sianz, or Russell were in that 2nd RB seat they would have had a 1-2 for virtually every single race this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom