Poll: Official 2024 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/24

Rate the Aussie race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Calm down, I said he was a rookie. It was just an example where a driver made a mistake even in a basic manoeuvre at slow(ish) speed. We're all humans and will make mistakes from time to time. Yeah, crashing on the way to pits it's not something that people forget or stopping in a wrong garage during the race for that matter.

Are you talking about China? Where his tyres were so worn you could see the canvas? On a wet pit-entrance? That incident you dredged up to compare the multiple mistakes under pressure Russell and Leclerc have made?

I'd give you a 3/10 for that. Which is exceptionally generous, I'm in a good mood today.

Caporegime
Yup. Lewis beaching it on the way to pits springs to mind. Sure he was a rookie that season but that wasn't even such a high pressure situation.

Every driver makes mistakes. None of them are infallible and will inevitably end up in the wall due to their own mistake on occasion.

It's all about the frequency of it happening. Make a silly mistake/have a crash which is your fault once in a season? Pretty normal.

Do it repeatedly and make multiple errors all season, every season? Bit of a problem.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Seems like the Aussie GP weekend 'revealed' something that we pretty much already knew - the Merc is hot garbage. Again.

The car appears to be especially susceptible to changes in temperature. Lewis Hamilton was pleased with its balance in final practice at Albert Park, then failed to reach Q3 a few hours later.

“After FP3… he said that the car is the best in three years,” said Wolff. “He had so much rear downforce and he feels confident.

“We didn’t change the car a lot. The track temperature changed by five degrees, believe it or not, so that’s nothing, and the car transformed from something that was the best in three years to something that is undriveable.”

“We are looking at everything and there’s something which our technology is not showing us because this window of performance is so narrow where the aero works or it doesn’t,” he added. “The wind picked up in the afternoon, that plays a role but we haven’t really been able to pinpoint it.”

Wolff said Mercedes will have to sacrifice more of their race weekends in order to understand what they need to do to improve their car.

“We are coming to a point now that we probably need to experiment every single race, not only on Friday, because our performance seems to get worse throughout the weekend,” he said. “We are good on Friday and we are good in some of the sessions on Saturday but the more grip we have, the faster it goes, the more we reach the performance ceiling of the car. And our data shows us it’s not the ceiling.”

Soldato
I’d give it another race with a “performance” like last weeks and I wouldn’t be surprised if more aren’t going to start questioning Toto’s position.
I don’t think they’d do better without him, but something in that team seems very wrong. As much as I hate these regulation of cars, you can’t blame the regs for 3 years.

Caporegime
Merc have come 3rd and 2nd since the rules changes - hardly a total disaster, except by their own standards of the decade before. Their problem, I think, is adapting from being a massively funded outfit able to flat outspend everyone else to the new spending cap era.

Ditching Toto is about the dumbest response to that they could possibly have.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Merc have come 3rd and 2nd since the rules changes - hardly a total disaster, except by their own standards of the decade before. Their problem, I think, is adapting from being a massively funded outfit able to flat outspend everyone else to the new spending cap era.

Ditching Toto is about the dumbest response to that they could possibly have.

Doesn't really help matters when Red Bull just ignores the cap and gets barely any punishment for it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom