Poll: Official 2024 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/24

Rate the Aussie race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It’s typical Ferrari to never fix the actual problem with the team. Literally no point signing Lewis.
Literally no point in signing a better driver? Short term form comes and goes, very few people would rate Sainz ahead of Hamilton or Leclerc over a full season.

Associate
Literally no point in signing a better driver? Short term form comes and goes, very few people would rate Sainz ahead of Hamilton or Leclerc over a full season.
Will he be a better driver? He’s struggling with the Merc; granted it’s a dog, but you’d expect better.

Drivers are the least of Ferraris problems. They lost 2nd in the championship because of the team. If they have a strong car and intelligent strategy, both Carlos and Charles are capable of winning the WDC. And I’d rather see one of them win it.

Associate

I would have agreed a couple years back but Sainz outperformed Leclerc for large chunks of last season and only finished 6 points behind him. Leclerc is in his mid 20s now and rather than seeing him progress it’s felt like he’s been regressing a little and the hype train has somewhat stalled.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would have agreed a couple years back but Sainz outperformed Leclerc for large chunks of last season and only finished 6 points behind him. Leclerc is in his mid 20s now and rather than seeing him progress it’s felt like he’s been regressing a little and the hype train has somewhat stalled.

I also don't think ferrari signing Hamilton is that smart.

Hamilton hasn't been all over Russell for a while really. And sainz has driven quite well recently.

Maybe Hamilton doesn't get on well with this car. But who knows.

On flip side would be great to see them in same team as. Will answer a lot of "who is better" questions

Unless perez is really bad. Max is by far best driver on the grid. But perez could be really bad.

Associate
I also don't think ferrari signing Hamilton is that smart.

Hamilton hasn't been all over Russell for a while really. And sainz has driven quite well recently.

Maybe Hamilton doesn't get on well with this car. But who knows.

On flip side would be great to see them in same team as. Will answer a lot of "who is better" questions

Unless perez is really bad. Max is by far best driver on the grid. But perez could be really bad.

I wouldn't judge Hamilton too much on the past 2 and a bit seasons tbh, he's always lacked motivation when he's not in a car that can win races and is also historically a slow starter (some suggest because he doesn't do much pre season sim work relative to his team mates).

2021 was his absolute best season in the sport. I find it hard to believe someone magically loses that level of talent in two years.

That said Max is now the best driver in the sport but it's an unfair comparison, he's in his prime and the two other best drivers are pensioners in comparison.

Perez is poor/average though and a good example of how big the variance in skill levels is even at the top level of motorsport. He had an underwhelming junior career that usually would get you nowhere near F1 (finished 12th in GP2 and didn't win a single race..) but managed to blag a seat as a pay driver thanks to his links with Carlos Slim. Casuals then overhyped him (as happens all the time in F1...) based on a few decent performances for mid-tier teams with mid-tier teammates.

Last edited:
Associate
He's got a huge amount of experience and he's been very involved with the car mechanically since he started his career. He could give them that extra percentage needed. I can totally understand the move
So was Vettel, maybe more so on the mechanical side. I can’t see Lewis being that assertive either, which seems to be needed at Ferrari. Either way, it would be dull seeing him win another title.

Soldato
So was Vettel, maybe more so on the mechanical side. I can’t see Lewis being that assertive either, which seems to be needed at Ferrari. Either way, it would be dull seeing him win another title.

I don't think he'll win another title, would be pretty incredible considering he's pushing on 40. I can imagine Ferrari really wanting to pick his brain over all the processes that Merc do with the team and at the factory. Plus he's a superstar, Ham in a Ferrari will create a pretty big windfall for them.

Soldato
Either way, it would be dull seeing him win another title.
I think it would be the ultimate renaissance - and sweet revenge for ‘21. I don’t think anyone apart from die-hard Max fans would ever call that dull. No chance.

At the end of the day, consistency wins championships. I still maintain if Ferrari and even McLaren get their cars right, Hamilton still has the edge of proven consistency over other drivers like Leclerc, Lando etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I think it would be the ultimate renaissance - and sweet revenge for ‘21. I don’t think anyone apart from die-hard Max fans would ever call that dull. No chance.

At the end of the day, consistency wins championships. I still maintain if Ferrari and even McLaren get their cars right, Hamilton still has the edge of proven consistency over other drivers like Leclerc, Lando etc.
I just find Lewis to be incredibly boring, and at the end of the day, the titles are relatively meaningless when it comes to actually enjoying the sport.

I’d rather experience Charles or Carlos winning their first title.

Caporegime
Will he be a better driver? He’s struggling with the Merc; granted it’s a dog, but you’d expect better.

Drivers are the least of Ferraris problems. They lost 2nd in the championship because of the team. If they have a strong car and intelligent strategy, both Carlos and Charles are capable of winning the WDC. And I’d rather see one of them win it.

Expect better than 3rd in the championship in almost certainly not the clear 2nd fastest car?

Also beating his teammate by 5 places in the standings?

Lewis had a very good season last year. I really don't know why people like yourself are writing him off.

I'm not expecting anything from him this year. The car is at best the 4th fastest car on the grid now, maybe even battling for 5th fastest with the Aston. He knows his time with Merc is up and he knows at best he might be looking at 5th or 6th in the standings.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think he'll win another title, would be pretty incredible considering he's pushing on 40. I can imagine Ferrari really wanting to pick his brain over all the processes that Merc do with the team and at the factory. Plus he's a superstar, Ham in a Ferrari will create a pretty big windfall for them.

Yeh, Ferrari definitely did it partially for commercial reasons too. I doubt it was all based on their expectations of what he will bring as a driver. Ferrari will make a colossal amount of money back from selling merchandise with his name on it/sponsorship deals etc. The salary they are paying him is probably a pittance compared to what they stand to make.

Soldato
Ferrari will make a colossal amount of money back from selling merchandise with his name on it/sponsorship deals etc.
Their shares jumped by 10% at the announcement - which equated to $7bn. They’ve already made their money back and then some :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom