**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Associate
Thanks for that Simon. I altered the bios again to 33.3Mhz and 'ntune' still reports that the PCI is tracking the HT. Would updating the bios be a wise idea? I have not done this yet, but was a little reluctant in case it messed up my system. When I have opened 'ntune' it says that the PCIexpress is running at 2500Mhz. Are the PCIexpress and PCI both part of the same system or when locking the PCI to 33.3Mhz in the bios does this have some relation to the 2500Mhz?

Thanks in advance

Associate
Could someone help, as I am having a little trouble navigating around this site. Forgive me for being somewhat stupid, but when you post a reply to someones question, how do you get that most recent reply to appear next to the original or are they linked somehow?

Thanks

Associate
mrochester said:
Huh? What are you on about? Why don't you quote the original question and give your answer underneath?

Thanks mrochester, didn't realise that. Just one of those mental blocks that I couldn't seem to get my head around?????
For some reason nothing seems to visually stand out on this forum. I struggled at first even finding out how to post a new thread. Thick as Pigsx@#t! springs to mind.

Cheers anyway

Associate
]-[ssPilgrim said:
Hello all like a lot of people i have been experencing random shutdowns and freezing with this SLI PREMIUM BOARD!!!when playing DX9 games ie FEAR demo,HL2, BF2. Here what i posted on GURU3D with no answers and also i have been to the nvidia forums again with people having the same trouble.BF2/ FEAR demo freeze, MOH & Command & Conquer Generals ok.Benchmarks as you can see are fine.When these 2 games are played everything locks after about 3-5 mins play.Temps are ok, Fx55 fitted with the Asaka EVO hsf, both GT'S have Artic coolers fitted,temps for them around 55c -60c.My PSU is a Tagan 480w so theres plenty of juice there.Ive taken out the sound card, using onboard now in case of irq conflicts.Drivers 6.66 for mobo, 77.72 for cards , tried the 77.76 and 77.77's same problem, swapped out the memory same happens.Application controlled when using the settings for games.Last night had a clan match for MOH was playing for 5 hours+ with no problems.Windows was a fresh install when i put everything together.SLI ON/OFF makes no difference same happens. So im stuck people any help i would be very gratefull.
then i posted this 2nite not sure where it should be posted now!! lol
My second post:

Formatted the hard drive did a fresh install on xp -pro then updated to sp2 through the cd which i had.Then when i installed ZONE-ALARM the PC rebooted, when it returned i had the 'serious error' message come up looked at it .IT was the same error message i got when i keep getting booted and frozen from BF2 and the Fear demo.But this time round i hadnt even installed any drivers for anything no chipset,gfx card or sound card.The recovery console game me this error: 'LOCALS1\TEMP\WER6FIE.DIR001\MINI081105-01DMP' AND
'LOCALS1\TEMP\WER6FIE.DIR001\SYSTEMDATA\XM
all i was told on screen that it was a driver error but couldnt tell me with what device but since i hadnt installed any drivers whats the cause???

this is another forum member posting the same problem: and if you go on to the ASUS support forum there are over 20 replies to a thread on this from people having the same problems
EG OF A POST AND HIS SPECS, ALL HARDWARE DIFFERENT EXCEPT MOBO!!!
I have just set up my new system and i need some help. Everything seem to be running real nice untill i start playing games. sometimes the system just randomly shuts down, no warning and no error message when i re boot. everthing seems to be a an ok temp CPU around 45c and the graphics cards 55c but it keeps happening. Anybody got ant ideas why?? THIS IS

SYSTEM
ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM
2X GTX 7800 IN SLI
AMD FX57
HYPER 48 COOLER
2 X 74 RAPTORS IN RAID 0
2X 512MB OZ PLATUIM PC4800 MEM

Try to remove the 'nvidia' firewall if you can. I experienced problems with this and running HL2 & CS especially if you have Norton installed provided on the manufacturers driver disk. I have never experienced any browser problems before with AOL up until using the combination of both Norton and the 'nvidia' firewall. Combined with Zonealarm too you are just asking for problems. Try it and see I may be wrong. I have re-installed my Norton and 'nvidia' firewall to see if I can configure them to co-operate. Ultimately I think I willl have to run the Norton anti-virus alone and use the 'nvidia' as my firewall. Otherwise sytem hangs and allsorts of other problems may return. Hope this is of use to you.

Associate
s1301950 said:
Dazza: yea, i've seen that too and i do have the premium installed in the v1100 lian-li case. And yes, it's possible to take the pipe out. I removed it and put my koolance water block in. That takes care of the inverted heat pipe overheating problem.

Kenneth

So Dazza is it easy to remove the heat-pipe from this board. What is this idea about cooling the mosfets, could they not be liquid cooled somehow?

Associate
Hi Wildman1255,

It may be a problem with the overclocking software, not working or reporting wrong readings.

Changing PCI clock Synchonization mode from Auto to 33.33Mhz will locks the PCI & PCIexpress socket

I do not use n-Tune or ASUS Ai Booster to overclock, I just change settings in the Bios in small steps and then test both CPU and Memory, repeat until systems reports errors and then drop back a setting.

System settings I am using

Bios 1007
X2 4400 11*228 @ 2.51GHz 1.38v (1.32-1.38v)
CPU: Memory Ratio 1:1
HTT 5X
PCI clock set to 33.33mhz
Crucial Ballistic PC4000 (2*1GB) DDR400Mhz 2.7v,2.5,2,2,5,11,14,1T

Simon

Associate
Wildman1255 said:
So Dazza is it easy to remove the heat-pipe from this board. What is this idea about cooling the mosfets, could they not be liquid cooled somehow?

It is relativly easy to remove just undo the clips and it comes off without much effort. As for the mosfets, dont know if you could liquid cool them but a couple of ramsinks seem to do the job (with my XP120 overhanging them to cool them down also)

Man of Honour
Hi peeps

I have 2 x 120GB Seagate SATA drives in RAID 0 on the SI controller at the moment is it better to switch them to the NV controller (if it supports SATA 1 )

all a bit confusing really the manual doesnt help !

and if i do switch will i have to reinstall XP again ? :mad:

as im getting this and cant get rid of it

erm1.gif

maybe switching to NVRaid will solve it as i can disable SI in the bios ;)

cheers for info

Soldato
OP
RAMEEZ:

Yeah definatley, it's a nice stable board with lots of featuers. If you won't be using any of the extras and just having a pure gaming rig you could save a few bob and go with the Deluxe or Vanilla versions, but if you MUST have the top end board (like me :D) then this is defo a great buy!

Suman

Associate
Good to hear, thinking of going for one of the Asus boards, but how do these compare with the DFI mobos as in overall issues and benchmarks? The thing that puts me off from DFI is the RMA to holland, imo thats an long proccess for some one in UK

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

Could anyone share their knowledge please. Just trying to get to grips with the overclocking business. Where can I find in the bios the 'memory divider'. Am I looking in the right place for it?In what cases would it be necessary to utilise this function? Also, I am still running on the 1005 bios. I'm sure I have come across somehwere in this thread that this is unstable because its the first revision for this board. Would it be a wise idea for me to flash/upgrade it to the 1007 update?

:confused:

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom