*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Turner and George Packer Brisket - Salt, Pepper, Garlic and Charcoal Rub
Turner and George Wings - Buffalo with Blue Cheese dip (Made these way too hot even for my tastes :cry:)
Grilled pineapple & Peach Salsa
My legendary potato salad

Excuse the mess, entertaining 15 people in a small house leads to carnage haha
That looks a good feed!!

Soldato
That looks a good feed!!

It really was!

First Brisket i've ever done and first time i've used a pellet smoker, borrowed my Brother in Laws and now shopping for one to replace my Aldi Kamado.

The Kamado is great but I don't have time to learn how to get the temps stable for hours on on, with the pellet smoker it's a set and forget so you can't get long cooks wrong really! :D

Soldato
It really was!

First Brisket i've ever done and first time i've used a pellet smoker, borrowed my Brother in Laws and now shopping for one to replace my Aldi Kamado.

The Kamado is great but I don't have time to learn how to get the temps stable for hours on on, with the pellet smoker it's a set and forget so you can't get long cooks wrong really! :D
I've only ever attempted one brisket and it wasn't the greatest. It wasn't dry or anything but could have bene better. Still very edible.
I recently done beef short ribs and just kept them going until tender (Pulled around 98deg) and they were mega. It's definitely a learning experience.
I've got a Big Joe 2 that I got cheap off Facebook Marketplace never used. Kamado Joe even agreed to transfer the warranty after getting pictures of it unused and undamaged.

Soldato
I've only ever attempted one brisket and it wasn't the greatest. It wasn't dry or anything but could have bene better. Still very edible.
I recently done beef short ribs and just kept them going until tender (Pulled around 98deg) and they were mega. It's definitely a learning experience.
I've got a Big Joe 2 that I got cheap off Facebook Marketplace never used. Kamado Joe even agreed to transfer the warranty after getting pictures of it unused and undamaged.

Yeah I just use my Kamado for relatively fast cooks, I can get it to stay around 175-225 Celsius which works well for chicken wings and smaller joints of meat, but the design of the Aldi Kamado makes it almost impossible to add more fuel once you've got food on the grates, so I just don't trust it enough to put anything expensive on there :(

Soldato
Yeah I just use my Kamado for relatively fast cooks, I can get it to stay around 175-225 Celsius which works well for chicken wings and smaller joints of meat, but the design of the Aldi Kamado makes it almost impossible to add more fuel once you've got food on the grates, so I just don't trust it enough to put anything expensive on there :(
I'm not too familiar with the Aldi Kamado, I would imagine you could easily get a get amount of hours out of one basket with it.
I believe with the BJ2 it can stay at temp for over 48hours on one brimmed basket.

Soldato
OP
Turner and George Packer Brisket - Salt, Pepper, Garlic and Charcoal Rub
Turner and George Wings - Buffalo with Blue Cheese dip (Made these way too hot even for my tastes :cry:)
Grilled pineapple & Peach Salsa
My legendary potato salad

<images removed because I don't wanna scroll for a month>

Excuse the mess, entertaining 15 people in a small house leads to carnage haha

How much prep did the brisket need? Looking to do one myself (probably next year) but any tips/hints on that would be handy!

Soldato
How much prep did the brisket need? Looking to do one myself (probably next year) but any tips/hints on that would be handy!

Not a huge amount to be fair!

I got it from Turner & George (https://tinyurl.com/32kecku5) and asked them to trim it ready for a pellet smoker for me, arrived with not a huge amount of fat on it, so I didn't do any trimming tbh!

Gave it a HEAVY coating of Black Gold (https://angusandoink.com/products/black-gold-supercharged-spg) and left it out of the fridge covered up for two hours before cooking to try bring the temp up to room temp a bit.

Set pellet smoker to 105c, popped it on the smoker point end down and point towards the smoke end of the pellet grill around 9:30pm, checked it once at around 11:30pm. Checked again at 6am to make sure pellets hadn't run out and there was loads left. Think it hit 86-87c around 9:30am the next morning.

Took it out, popped it in a big roasting tray covered in foil in the oven with the oven off to rest, ended up slicing it around 2:30pm and it was still nice a hot.

The point fell apart and the fat was like butter, no resistance at all. If I was to do it again i'd use the chunks of point to do proper brisket burnt ends but people were hungry and I had a few tequilas so everyone just ploughed into it and it was gone in a flash.

That brisket served 15 people with a couple of servings spare, if you're feeding big appetites i'd take it down to 10-12 people I expect :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Did another Swarma again this weekend.

Highly recommend MARKS AND SPENCER COCONUT AND LIME SEASONING 60G for a rub as fancied to mix it up for a change it came out really good.

Going to start planning the outside kitchen me thinks, putting the kamado away is a full body workout.

Associate
Anyone recommend a brush to clean the grates? Do the bristles snap and remain behind?

Anyone got a thermometer recommendation? Looking to get this inkbird one so can leave the meat alone for an indirect cook.

Back
Top Bottom