*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Associate
Been looking at stuff like this with interest. How you been finding it after 6 months for comparing to traditional BBQs?
I haven't used it as much as I'd hoped, if I'm honest, but that's mainly because the weather last summer was so bad! The unit itself is pretty much weatherproof, but I'm just not up for outdoor cooking when it's raining.

Overall, I certainly don't regret buying it, and I've made some fantastic chicken and ribs in it, along with pulled pork a couple of times. There are a couple of niggles to be aware of when it comes to using it as a smoker.

1) The UK model can't be set to lower than 120C in the "Smoke" mode*, and in reality it runs hotter than that. That's a bit too hot for proper low-n-slow BBQ. Apparently you can also use the smoke option in Dehydrate mode, where you can set the temp as high as 90C, but that still leaves a gap in the temperature range right where you'd probably want to cook a piece of brisket or large pork butt.

2) Sometimes the pellets don't stay lit, so the smoke stops after just a few minutes. It's a bit unpredictable, and apparently is due to either the pellets not being 100% dry (stored in a shed in a not perfectly airtight container, for instance) or the airflow being obstructed by trying to cook something too big. There are various suggestions for fixing this, such as microwaving the pellets beforehand, but the main thing is just to make sure they're stored somewhere that isn't cold and damp.

Those niggles aside, the benefits are fairly obvious. It's really easy to use, the temps are constant (if maybe a little higher than the actual setting) and you don't have to do much work during the cook, other than keeping an eye to make sure the smoke is still going. I've got a flat-plate griddle for it now, and I'm looking forward to cooking burgers and things like Galician beef steaks from old dairy cattle, which completely smoke the house out if you cook them indoors, and turn into an absolute inferno on a charcoal grill.

Overall, I think it needs a bit of practice to get perfect results, and I'm hoping to get a lot more use out of it this year. At some point I'll try the lower-temp dehydrate + smoke option with a half brisket (which is the most you could fit in this), and see if I can avoid drying it out like the first one I cooked!

* This applies to the original model which I got. I've no idea if it's different for the XL or other newer models.

Soldato
Doing some satay on the gas BBQ

PXL-20240112-183816085-MP.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks epic, shame you couldn't get the lid closed. Bet that was a heck of a cleanup job

Yeha its not too bad, but the design of the grill does make it a little awkward the way its grooved, they do give you a tool to clean it.

Normally though I just leave it on for 10 minutes until everything has completely carbonated then just scrape it off next time I use it.

What grill is this being cooked on?

Char-Broil X200 Grill2Go

Had it years, I done away with the regulator and valve it came with and rigged up my own so it runs off a large butane gas bottle. You can get an optional thing to hook it up to a large gas bottle which i had, but it was quite frankly crap, so I completely re-did the gas plumbing now it works much better.

Associate
Yeha its not too bad, but the design of the grill does make it a little awkward the way its grooved, they do give you a tool to clean it.

Normally though I just leave it on for 10 minutes until everything has completely carbonated then just scrape it off next time I use it.

Char-Broil X200 Grill2Go

Had it years, I done away with the regulator and valve it came with and rigged up my own so it runs off a large butane gas bottle. You can get an optional thing to hook it up to a large gas bottle which i had, but it was quite frankly crap, so I completely re-did the gas plumbing now it works much better.

Cheers for that. Looks decent for a quick set-up and go. I enjoy my Kettle 57 but sometimes the quickness of gas has its appeal.

Soldato
Decided to top up the charcoal for the year. Also got some apple wood and brandy oak chunks. Not sure when the 1st bbq will be yet but as soon as there is a clear weekend I’ll be out there!

Associate
Going to try some damson wood chunks this year from a tree we cut down about a year ago, can't wait. Now is about the time of year to go and check the pit for mold isn't it :D

On the todo list for next week! Clean the Kettle ready for some half-term cooks. I might not wash the car in the cold but putting on the BBQ will be something else :D

Back
Top Bottom