*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Associate
WinWing ETA was Monday, FedEx delivered it this morning. Very impressive considering it would've been about 4pm last Friday when I completed the order.

Not had chance to use it yet but the hardware seems solid, no obvious QA issues as have been mentioned elsewhere. All axes and switches seem perfectly ok. Throttle movement in particular is a massive improvement over the Warthog, which had developed a proper sideways wobble on the right engine.

Can already tell that the two axes on the throttle base are gonna annoy me. Dunno why they chose to stick such long lever tabs on them, feels like they'll always be in the way of one switch or another. Hacksaw may see some action sooner or later.

Permabanned
Hi Brun, glad you are enjoying your Winwing Orion II throttle base so far? Is this with the FA/18 grips? ... not sure if the newer F-15 grips are out yet?

But anyway ... BEWARE, the material of the FA/18 grips you are required to screw on is quite thin at the attachment point. Its tough ABS plastic I think, but quite thin and deffo the weakest link in the bolt on throttle grip procedure.

There are most certainly QA issues if you look on Redit with photo examples of left and right Throttle grips breaking at the attachment point ... it happened to me and i had to repair mine in a peculiar way with JB Weld and a little nut and bolt and some drilling ... worse still, Winwing whom I find normally quite good refuse to replace this, even though its not fit for purpose IMHO, but if you are very careful, it should not break ... it will be slight sideways force on the axis that can break it IMHO.

I think its telling though that Winwing do have the parts that break available for sale as extra's on their web site. Not trying to alarm you Brun, just making you aware of a weak point in the throttle grip point to the steel base mounts ... some enthusiasts who dont own this throttle or grips suggest we are over tightening the screws, but I dont do that and it still broke ... the right grip mount for me :( Its the thinness of the material at the screw on point between throttle and and base.

But please dont despair, this is still the best FS dual throttle out there IMHO, recently sold my Virpil CM3 dual throttle and keeping my old modded TM Warthog dual throttle, but otherwise love my Winwing Orion II with FA/18 grips too, just be aware of that weak point and if it does break its still fixable.

Own a lot of FS gear here, lots of Winwing stuff including the full FA/18 live MFD set up ... enjoy.

Please look here, there are multiple examples of these breaks unfortunately ... but they are fixable and stronger once fixed ... shouldn't have to do this I know, but hey.

Associate
Thanks for the heads up but they actually are the F-15EX grips.

All set up and attached to the rig now but still haven't had chance to use it. Hopefully some time this weekend.

Permabanned
Thanks for the heads up but they actually are the F-15EX grips.

All set up and attached to the rig now but still haven't had chance to use it. Hopefully some time this weekend.

Let us know how you get on please Brun.

Have the newer Winwing F16 stick with shake kit too, it fine, but please dont expect to much from Win Wings shake idea, its no FFB and I can only make it work in DCS so far, though can be made to work in other sims too apparently.

Please dont get me wrong, WinWing is good value gear and they post fast from China, faster than the Virpil guys ever managed to post to me from Europe to UK and thats the the truth :)

Some pics of my full WinWing MFD set up, took some figuring out, but amazing spec for the price, just couldn't resist!

fL3nN9u.jpg

VjWlcdL.jpg

vJHjZfy.jpg

Associate
What's everyone buying / thinking of buying in the sale ?

I'm considering picking up my first warbird, and possibly the F5 or Mig-21.

Oh not a sale!! :cry:

I've been thinking about getting into the WW2 stuff, I also play a lot of IL2 though and apart from the planes being higher fidelity then IL2 is the flight modelling better? Getting a bit tired of the slow rate of development as well and the focus of the WW1 stuff.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Oh not a sale!! :cry:

I've been thinking about getting into the WW2 stuff, I also play a lot of IL2 though and apart from the planes being higher fidelity then IL2 is the flight modelling better? Getting a bit tired of the slow rate of development as well and the focus of the WW1 stuff.

I much prefer flying in DCS than IL2 and find it significantly more immersive.
There’s unfortunately a massive fly in the ointment, and that’s above and beyond the cost to buy the modules and terrains, which is the lack of variety of other WW2 aircraft. There’s just one Spitfire, the Mustang and Thunderbolt on the western allied side, x3 Luftwaffe aircraft and the i16 for the Soviet’s. I have all of them and enjoy flying them, but it’s not got the 20-30 aircraft per side that is possible with IL2. There are more warbirds planned for DCS (eg Corsair and Hellcat), but chances and that IL2 will themselves bring out a new theatre.
So if your interest is primarily in the combat, IMO IL2 is better. If the art of flying and immersion is what floats your boat, then DCS.

And this isn’t from a bias viewpoint of not owning IL2, as I have all of the theatres with them exception of Normandy.

My suggestion is that you download the free basic install for DCS and try the Mustang that comes with it. It doesn’t have weapons, but will give you a good chance to check things out for no cost.

What IL2 doesn’t cater for are post WW2 jets and helicopters.

Associate
I much prefer flying in DCS than IL2 and find it significantly more immersive.
There’s unfortunately a massive fly in the ointment, and that’s above and beyond the cost to buy the modules and terrains, which is the lack of variety of other WW2 aircraft. There’s just one Spitfire, the Mustang and Thunderbolt on the western allied side, x3 Luftwaffe aircraft and the i16 for the Soviet’s. I have all of them and enjoy flying them, but it’s not got the 20-30 aircraft per side that is possible with IL2. There are more warbirds planned for DCS (eg Corsair and Hellcat), but chances and that IL2 will themselves bring out a new theatre.
So if your interest is primarily in the combat, IMO IL2 is better. If the art of flying and immersion is what floats your boat, then DCS.

And this isn’t from a bias viewpoint of not owning IL2, as I have all of the theatres with them exception of Normandy.

My suggestion is that you download the free basic install for DCS and try the Mustang that comes with it. It doesn’t have weapons, but will give you a good chance to check things out for no cost.

What IL2 doesn’t cater for are post WW2 jets and helicopters.

Oh yeah probably should have mentioned I'm no stranger to DCS, 2 years ago I went a bit nuts on the content buying the A10c, F18, F86, Mig 15/21 with the intention of really getting into it. Unfortunatley my rig wasn't good enough to run it in VR so I kind of dumped it. This year I bought a 4080 with a 5800x3d and it runs in dcs pretty good so I bought the Flaming cliffs pack and have been working my way through that.

Yeah the immersion is what has captured me, been learning the F86 and really enjoying it as a study sim. I may as well get the Spit and the epsom campaign its only £20 thanks for your reply.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
No news on either F4, Phantom or Corsair.
We’re expecting v2.9 soon, but don’t know what it will contain. It “could” include DLSS or Vulkan.

ED have started to be more careful about suggesting timescales, which IMO is a really good thing, as there’s significantly less noise about releases being delayed.

Permabanned
Regarding DCS and with my new high performance OCUK build of parts complete now, the thought of installing DCS and all my add ons again is a daunting prospect, just finished with my FS2020 and P3D stuff, but kept my original DCS install intact from last PC, so now that I have launched DCS from its folder it looks like it might work? but is there anything I might be missing from fresh installing it, its not Steam version its the latest DCS World OpenBeta with about 80 percent of all add ons owned here, so would take ages to fresh install again.

PC jump spec was from Asus board and AMD 5950X CPU and DDR4 3600 ram 2 x 32GB = 64GB and RTX 3090, to new Asus board AMD 7950x3d and DDR5 6400 ram 2 x 32GB = 64GB and RTX 4090 OC.

I'll install afresh again if I need to, but is it necessary? I dont think DCS has hooks in Windows?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I don't believe DCS does hook into Windows, to the point that if you copy the game folder to say a different hard drive, if you run a repair, it'll rebuild what it needs and will work fine.

What you're likely to want to do is copy over any kneeboards, liveries and mods from the old PC.
The more time consuming part are the controls. If you're using the same HOTAS and controllers and intend to use the same bindings, then:
- Copy the old "Input" folder from the Config folder within your /user/saved games/DCS folder
- Move that to your new PC.
Be aware that on a new PC or with a new controller, DCS creates a new "unique ID" or name for the controller. Clearly that's NOT going to be the same as the name that's on the files within your Input folder from your old PC. So at this point, DCS doesn't recognise the old files
- Open DCS and for each controller, add in just one binding, then save it, doesn't matter which aircraft, but let's say it's your A10a
- Close DCS, open your folder saved games/DCS/Config/Input/a-10a/joystick/
Within that folder, you can see all of the joysticks that you have saved mappings for, i.e. both the ones from your old PC and the new bindings that you've just created.
For example, one of my MFDs has this name: "F16 MFD 1 {84800180-AE6A-11eb-8002-444553540000}.diff.lua"
- Copy the ID for the NEW device that your created a single binding for, in the example above that is: 84800180-AE6A-11eb-8002
- Copy the ID for the device from your old PC, e.g. maybe it's: 84823987-AE6A-11eb-8002
- Open a 2nd file manager window and take the view to your /saved games/DCS/Config/Input/
- Either:
1. Use the search function (top right in Windows file manager), paste in the ID for the new device name (84823987-AE6A-11eb-8002) then go through each of the returns and rename using the new ID of 84800180-AE6A-11eb-8002
2. If you're comfortable, use the method found here to conduct a rename: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...explorer/31462205-1547-4364-aad6-e6e4f46d7cd6
- You'll need to do the above for EACH device that you have attached

It's painful and time consuming, but MASSIVELY faster than going through rebinding individual controls manually.

Permabanned
Thanks Mr Sukebe, going to give this a go, not to worried about my controller inputs because I have some new ones too and would like to start afresh, but will bear and copy paste this in mind for future too.

Still a lot of work ahead but it looks like I can get going sooner in DCS now, awesome.

Oh yeah and for launching DCS ... I use the popular DCS Updater utility V2,0 from Skatezilla that can repair installs too ... I think I'm good to proceed now, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom