**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Have you done any flights without using VR? I get the feeling using VR could be restricting your level of immersion.

Yes, once apon a time, aircraft carried binders full of charts. All electronic on tablets these days. That said, when I'm flying real world (light aircraft), I'll print out whatever charts I need prior to the flight.

Yeah I tried the SIM using the monitor, it's way less immersive and way harder to control the plane. VR is, I would say, almost real. You should try it if you can.

The only downside to VR is you can't flip away to other screens etc, which actually should be more like real life. I don't want to memorise a thousand keyboard shortcuts, real pilots don't have that, I want to press buttons and move levers as if I'm really there.

Last edited:
Associate
The only downside to VR is you can't flip away to other screens etc, which actually should be more like real life. I don't want to memorise a thousand keyboard shortcuts, real pilots don't have that, I want to press buttons and move levers as if I'm really there.

Have you looked at Kneeboard apps?

Soldato
Hi all!! I just installed and gave MSFS a go which was fun.

I used to play 2004 on saitek cyborg Evo and the stick works ok with new game, but I need to manually set up button profiles which is overhelming! I digress.

What's the modding community like for latest release? I want the twin otter and BN islander planes for realism really - any good starting points to make it more diverse and lifelike with liveries?

The boys just want to bomb around in jet fighters too...

Associate
Hi all!! I just installed and gave MSFS a go which was fun.

I used to play 2004 on saitek cyborg Evo and the stick works ok with new game, but I need to manually set up button profiles which is overhelming! I digress.

What's the modding community like for latest release? I want the twin otter and BN islander planes for realism really - any good starting points to make it more diverse and lifelike with liveries?

The boys just want to bomb around in jet fighters too...
Have a look at flightsim.to - plenty, mostly freeware, mods, liveries, aircraft, utilities, etc.

Blackbox simulations do a Trislander. Don't know what it's like, Blackbox don't have the best reputation.

Aerosoft did do a twin otter, but they withdrew it from sale a few months back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh FFS. Now I want to buy a new joystick and throttle and a VR headset. I have no money.
Haha, I had a go on the air ambulance Heli sim.
Now I've upgraded PC, bought new joystick/quadrant and pedals.

That was a bad decision getting on that....lol

4k monitor would be nice too......no rodders.....no....

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Haha, I had a go on the air ambulance Heli sim.
Now I've upgraded PC, bought new joystick/quadrant and pedals.

That was a bad decision getting on that....lol

4k monitor would be nice too......no rodders.....no....

do-it.gif

Soldato
New 7800x3d, 32gb ram and mobo.2TB nvme, as this SIM eats up the GBs. Then a second hand Asus 3080ti
Thrustmaster A10 warthog hotas.
Took a punt on Flight1 SIM pedals off eBay....couple of reviews said they are pretty decent and come with a damper. So overall cheaper than the vbk t rudders.

Pedals should be here in aug some time, I hope!

Man of Honour
New 7800x3d, 32gb ram and mobo.2TB nvme, as this SIM eats up the GBs. Then a second hand Asus 3080ti
Thrustmaster A10 warthog hotas.
Took a punt on Flight1 SIM pedals off eBay....couple of reviews said they are pretty decent and come with a damper. So overall cheaper than the vbk t rudders.

Pedals should be here in aug some time, I hope!

Yeah I forgot how much space it took up and wondered why my SSD had less than 25GB left on it!

Associate

Another annual thread bump from me :D

Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th August sees the 17th annual 'Mid Summer Madness!' event at EGBB Birmingham on the VATSIM Network.

EGBB will be fully staffed from Delivery right up to London Control from 1100-2100 BST both days. No flight bookings - any aircraft, any time to and/or from EGBB.

There's some prizes on offer, courtesy of PMDG, MaccoSim, BritishAvgeek and Velocity Flight Training. Prizes will be awarded to the pilot who makes the longest flight (distance) to/from EGBB, the pilot who makes the most flights to/from EGBB and the remainder will be allocated to pilots at random. To be in with a chance of winning, you must be registered on the VATSIM UK Forum (community.vatsim.uk) as if you're a winner, we'll contact you via PM there.

Last year was our busiest event ever, where during the event hours, we saw 719 aircraft movements during event timings. Hopefully you can fly and help us beat that this year.

Follow on twitter for more info: @vatsimMSM

Hope to see you there.

Just ask if you've any questions about the event.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
One of the reasons i bought a v powerful computer recently was to get into this, spent the last few weeks modding it and the results are below:

MSFS1.jpg

I have recently got hold of the 787 Heavy Division mod as the default 787 has black cockpit screens randomly....but how do i add liveries to the Heavy Division mod?

Last edited:
Associate
One of the reasons i bought a v powerful computer recently was to get into this, spent the last few weeks modding it and the results are below:

MSFS1.jpg

I have recently got hold of the 787 Heavy Division mod as the default 787 has black cockpit screens randomly....but how do i add liveries to the Heavy Division mod?
A photo of your monitor looks naff tbh, take a screenshot and it'll look a million times better.

Re liveries, search for Heavy Division on flightsim.to - there's loads of them. Download the ones you like and stick them in your community folder.

Back
Top Bottom