**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Like the new Fenix updates. Some decent FPS pickups from what people have been reporting, overall, my RTX2060, 10750h with 32gb of DDR4 however, i've noticed a bit of a loss in performance recently, mainly stutters and things which given my specs... I get but more so than they were before the last SU, hoping this improves! however, very much seems to vary on what A/C I'm flying, for example, the PMDG definitely overall gets better FPS than the Fenix with the FBW probably in between.

Now, I only fly Airliners and like them up to scratch as far as systems go and flyability (Hate the term study level admittedly but if that's what you want to call it!) and I genuinely struggled to get the Fenix down well, (unsure if this was a control issue but I follow Fenix' setup and calibration to the letter) but even after this update I still struggle to get a half decent landing where as I can land the PMDG and the FBW really, really well. So I'm at a loss if it's a technique issue or what :cry:

With installation, I've got the main files where they install on C, but all my addons and Community Folder are all installed on my 2TB SSD.

I hadn't done a re-install for a good 1.5yrs or so and did one a few weeks ago, seems a lot better as well!

Associate
How does the FBW compare to the Fenix now? Are the getting closer? I have both, but have not flown either in ages as I’ve been flying the PMDG 737.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anybody here gone for their virtual pilot licences? I signed up to Vatsim yesterday as I would like to get into some of the realism. I am definitely still a novice with flight sims, and I figured doing the pilot licenses would be interesting and also a good way to learn more of flying too.

If anyone has done any, are there any sites you'd recommend which Vatsim recognises as an ATO?

Soldato
Hi Folks,

After some advice please.

I've got a 49" Samsung Ultrawide 1440p (LC49RG90SSUXEN). I want to be able to play without all the stuttering I'm getting at the moment.

Current PC is:

5800X3D CPU - stock
32GB (2x16GB) CAS14 DDR4 3600 RAM
AMD Radeon 6900XT (using FSR2)
ASUS Rog Hero x570 Motherboard
WD 850 PCIe 4 2TB SSD

So.. PC spec isn't terrible, but I'm getting loads of stuttering. Looking at the debug it appears I am main thread limited. That to me suggests, CPU.

Has anyone here made the leap from a 5800X3D to a 7800X3D (Which, it appears, is the new fastest CPU for MS2020) ?

If so, interested to know how much it has helped you.

Edit - it appears all my dreams would come true actually with an easier upgrade... going to an Nvidia 4080 GFX card. DLSS3 and Frame Generation turned on would get me ~100FPS which would be lovely.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi Folks,

After some advice please.

I've got a 49" Samsung Ultrawide 1440p (LC49RG90SSUXEN). I want to be able to play without all the stuttering I'm getting at the moment.

Current PC is:

5800X3D CPU - stock
32GB (2x16GB) CAS14 DDR4 3600 RAM
AMD Radeon 6900XT (using FSR2)
ASUS Rog Hero x570 Motherboard
WD 850 PCIe 4 2TB SSD

So.. PC spec isn't terrible, but I'm getting loads of stuttering. Looking at the debug it appears I am main thread limited. That to me suggests, CPU.

Has anyone here made the leap from a 5800X3D to a 7800X3D (Which, it appears, is the new fastest CPU for MS2020) ?

If so, interested to know how much it has helped you.

Edit - it appears all my dreams would come true actually with an easier upgrade... going to an Nvidia 4080 GFX card. DLSS3 and Frame Generation turned on would get me ~100FPS which would be lovely.

Surprised your getting stuttering at 1440p, I've got almost the exact same spec (same CPU and GPU) and generally its really good at 1440p - can bog down in busy places like Heathrow but not painfully so.

I'm looking at an upgrade though as well - not seen a lot about the 7800X3D but I don't think my motherboard supports it anyway so will be looking at Intel options as well.

Soldato
I've always wondered about giving VATSIM a whirl, but as an actual ATCO I worry I wouldn't be able to take it seriously :D
You do hear some frustration sometimes from the ATC guys on Vatsim, especially those on the LON and APP positions, mainly because people don't always know the basics of controlling their A/C and also, when something goes a bit wrong the over reliance on Automation.

Sometimes, the attitudes of the controllers doesn't help as some can be very brash for no reason but at the same time I can understand the frustration.

I'm only an S1 and only do a few hours a week on EGPH or EGKK mainly, unfortunately Gatwick being as busy as it can be even sometimes during the morning, people on Vatsim choose it to do their first ever Vatsim flight and if it is busy, unfortunately you just don't have all the time in the world to deal with them bit by bit.

Also, as an ATC Text Pilots as well, by that I don't mean just by PDC/CPDLC but those who choose not to, or don't have the facility of voice add to your workload, Euroscope has shortcuts but even then it can still make your workload higher! and if you're on LON or an APP position and your controlling a lot top down (So KK APP can potentially doing DEL, GND, TWR and APP which can be a stupid workload!)

On the flipside, there are plenty of pilots out there that know what they're doing to,

Last edited:
Soldato
Has London ever received an update? I did a low and slow flight over it the other day and it still suffered from the melted-building syndrome that’s plagued it from the start. I thought they might’ve fixed that by now?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Has London ever received an update? I did a low and slow flight over it the other day and it still suffered from the melted-building syndrome that’s plagued it from the start. I thought they might’ve fixed that by now?

Melted buildings are not limited to just London. Have to say that it’s one of the things that’s always made me wonder with all the comments of how amazing it looks.

Soldato
I’m thinking of getting a Quest 3 for use with MSFS so was wondering what peoples’ experiences with the Quest 2 had been like so far with the game?

Also, I’m using a 3080 with a 5900X. Does the 3080 still have enough grunt to do a good job with VR in MSFS?

Permabanned
Melted buildings are not limited to just London. Have to say that it’s one of the things that’s always made me wonder with all the comments of how amazing it looks.

I must agree, please dont get me wrong, but for helicopter flying and close up in big citys like London and New York Manhatten its just awful for the melted building effect (close up) and ruins immersion and needs to be fixed.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I must agree, please dont get me wrong, but for helicopter flying and close up in big citys like London and New York Manhatten its just awful for the melted building effect (close up) and ruins immersion and needs to be fixed.

I just don't see it happening, at least with FS2020. Maybe 2024 will resolve it. My assumption is that current hardware limitations and the fact that it's CPU single threaded are the restricting factors.
It annoys me enough that I barely fly in FS2020. Very happy to fly in that combat sim.

Back
Top Bottom