**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Permabanned
When FS2024 comes out next year, will you choose Steam or Windows store ... assuming it comes out on Steam too like 2022 did.

And of course, assuming you want to move to the new FS2024? Please no posts about how you wont or will, please read on ... I will, had every version since DOS and FS2.

But oh my after my recent PC build, had to start afresh, downloaded the whole Simulator again and I'm still adding my add-ons again as I type, always a slow process from MS store for me, its been a day now, 24 hrs plus, my downloads have never exceeded 2.4 MBS and my connection is quite capable of 75 MBS living near the cabinet from Sky.

Steam installs are furiously faster here.

Its not just the Microsoft vs Steam alternatives ... the MS store is still available on both versions, right?

But this new brand new FS2020 install from brand new Win 11 install too and sim seems more different than last time as well, sometimes better for the OS, sometimes more obtuse and making me jump through hoops, same for FS2020 install ???

I dont know why MS are so awkward? they do not let you have total control of Windows 11 unless you know of hacks or legitimate program workarounds like Start 11 I use ... at least some of FS2020 has to go on C:\ drive, the all important Community folder too that can get a bit bloated and would be better re-located to another larger capacity drive from within an install option at the beginning ... but no, cant be done with MS it seems.

Community folder can be moved later of course, but not without Hoops needing jumped through, lots of them.

They know about it, ASOBO have passed it on, they just dont care.

Great Simulator, bad implication.

Associate
No hoops to jump through at all. I have MSFS (store version) installed on one SSD and my Community folder is on another SSD. Neither are my C Drive. If I need to reinstall the sim, my addons are automatically/instantly installed using a program called MSFS Addon Manager.

Yes, I'll be moving to MSFS2024,  if there is sufficient improvement from 2020. Will be store version again, I don't use Steam.

Last edited:
Associate
I dont know why MS are so awkward? they do not let you have total control of Windows 11 unless you know of hacks or legitimate program workarounds like Start 11 I use ... at least some of FS2020 has to go on C:\ drive, the all important Community folder too that can get a bit bloated and would be better re-located to another larger capacity drive from within an install option at the beginning ... but no, cant be done with MS it seems.
Not experienced these issues myself. I have the core sim installed with my main Steam library on S and the packages folder on my M drive. Have built a new system without having to download everything again. The packages folder can certainly be moved anywhere at any time.

I believe the same is possible with the MS Store version, I've got other MS Store games installed on M.

Permabanned
No hoops to jump through at all. I have MSFS (store version) installed on one SSD and my Community folder is on another SSD. Neither are my C Drive. If I need to reinstall the sim, my addons are automatically/instantly installed using a program called MSFS Addon Manager.

Yes, I'll be moving to MSFS2024,  if there is sufficient improvement from 2020. Will be store version again, I don't use Steam.

So can you tell me latest procedure to move Community folder from C:\ these days please? with no hassle? Please dont send 2022 google links or advice, because its all different now unfortuantly.

You cant even choose your own dedicated new 4:\ TB Drive called H:\ in my case for a brand new install called XBOXGames. I tried everything, a new install of FS2020 has to be installed on C:\ ... totally understand, but since my last install of sim, a year or so ago, cant choose my preffed folder called H:\FS2020 any more its GOT to be a new folder called ... XBOXGsames now ... sure all youre guys install will work ... until the day comes you need to re-instal again :)

The install procedure has changed again I'm afraid and I'm a Beta tester since this sim was released to us ... Its far from perfect ... you are talking from previous install you are happy with, and yes before, tried the various utilitys, no workie here my friend, FS2020 for a new instal is ever evolving with new hoops to jump each time.

I'm not joking.

Last edited:
Soldato
To move community folder all you do is move it then game realises the data isn't there and asks where the download the data from? Same as when you install the game?

On another note does FS2020 via steam have workshop mods as well? If not that'd be great for FS2024

Associate
To move community folder all you do is move it then game realises the data isn't there and asks where the download the data from? Same as when you install the game?
The location is in a config file. Edit that after moving the folder and it will start up next time as if nothing's changed.

Associate
Can't remember the exact procedure but you can move 2020 off your C: drive. It's either in the Xbox app or by going to add/remove programs and manage. There is an option there to move to another drive/folder. As for the Community folder use a link, that's how the addon linker puts its stuff in to the Community folder, or better still use the addon linker with the files extracted files on a different drive.

Edit: I've assumed the in game updates (i.e. Marketplace ones) are served by Microsoft regardless of whether you have the Steam or Store versions. Can anyone with the Steam version confirm? Like others the MS download rates have been dreadful recently for me. I used to get 250+Mbps but often now it's single figures with the odd uplift every now and again.

Last edited:
Permabanned
See what I mean .. MS change the goal posts for new install of not only Windows but apps ... as they call them called FS2020 :)

WillHub and Brun have given two conflicting bits of advice about moving FS2020 community folder to a more appropriate drive, you just cant do that anymore? (thanks for replying though guys ... appreciate your help)

If it works for yourselves on older original installs, awesome, but it never worked for me and I am not about to go changing config files ... seriously guys if you google just move FS2020 community folder you will get different answers ranging from 2020 to 2022 but never an up to date 2023 answer because the goal posts have moved again ... I guess this is it?

Whats happened here is, my well tuned flight sim rig of a couple of years felt stale to me ... it was fine, AMD 5950X, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 and so on, actually made a post on here about swapping out board for a new DDR5 6000mhz ram, 7950 X3D with a view to buying an RTX 4090 later in year, would it work swapping bits I asked, yes they said ... and it did up to a point, but it was always a bodge up job and problems kept happening ... so other day, bit bullet and brand new install, its just time it takes, loads of time to install large Flight Sims like FS2020 again.

But honestly, Microsoft do move goalpoasts for new installs for no good reason i can fathom? ... You can still choose destination drive, but its got to be under a folder called "XboxGames" now. had alreaday made a folder on new H:\ 4TB dedicated NvME SSD called FS2020, initial small instal where Community folder resides still goes on C:\

But why do they do that, whats the point of making it more conveluted for no good reason?

P3D and FSX, install wherever you want, minescule ammounts of data on C:\ for CFG. files etc

Anyway, getting there for my massive FS2020 install again on new rig ... itching to try it out, not ideal but new OS dedicated NVMe is a 1TB Samsung 990 Pro, and the Community folder can reside there from now on if it likes ... I'm just itching to get flying on my new rig, not perpetual slwow speed MS FS2020 slow install's ... arghhhh :p

Permabanned
Edit: I've assumed the in game updates (i.e. Marketplace ones) are served by Microsoft regardless of whether you have the Steam or Store versions. Can anyone with the Steam version confirm? Like others the MS download rates have been dreadful recently for me. I used to get 250+Mbps but often now it's single figures with the odd uplift every now and again.

Its dreadfully slow downloads here on a very decent 75Mb down, 20 MB up connection, am not joking, this PC has been switched on 24 hrs _ now just trying to get my old FS2020 and old add-ns going again.

Soldato
Its dreadfully slow downloads here on a very decent 75Mb down, 20 MB up connection, am not joking, this PC has been switched on 24 hrs _ now just trying to get my old FS2020 and old add-ns going again.

Takes ages to download for me so I dread ever having to do it, even updates, and I'm on a gigabit connection. can't imagine a 75mbit line.

Soldato
Takes ages to download for me so I dread ever having to do it, even updates, and I'm on a gigabit connection. can't imagine a 75mbit line.
It's an overnight job on a gigabit line...and God forbid it gets interrupted by a restart or something, you usually need to uninstall and start from scratch.

The install process sucks.

Soldato
Flight simmers, do you use default Bing maps or Google maps add on?

I tried Google Maps today, not sure I can tell much difference, plus there were some areas where there was a definitive dark area on the terrain compared to the surroundings.

Soldato
It's an overnight job on a gigabit line...and God forbid it gets interrupted by a restart or something, you usually need to uninstall and start from scratch.

The install process sucks.
I did mine on 75mbps, took about 4 days lol. Went wrong a few times, so I guess when it worked properly, was about 2 days.
I've copied the main folder now, so if I ever need to reinstall, I start the install, stop it, copy that file over, then load up and done. Works a treat.

Soldato
And on another note, I took a punt on some pedals from Flight1 SIM on ebay. £150 delivered. I only found one video review online and they looked decent.
What's turned up is quite good, you even get a damper, which on the VKB pedals you don't. There are USB ports on both sides underneath, for ease of running the cable in the right direction.
Took about 17days to get here.
Only used for about 10mins, but smooth and nice and fit well under the desk,

B2FBIXN.jpg
4IOMtMc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom