*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
Never experienced the issue myself but Sonos have finally fixed the loud bang/pop that some people had when using Dolby Atmos over MAT.

15.10​

Release date: 11/16/2023

In this update:​

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
    • This release includes a fix for a bug that caused an Arc or Beam (Gen 2) to emit a loud popping sound when playing Dolby Atmos audio

Associate
sub now £599 at richer sounds with a 6 year guarantee.

picked one up, can't say i was blown away. it's a very refined subtle difference on the default settings. although, my room is very long, so i'm sure that doesn't help.

Soldato
Doesn't sound right at all my Sub mini isn't subtle and the bigger sub is a lot more powerful.

Sounds like you need to look at placement. I'm assuming you were watching/listening to something with decent low end?

Soldato
Looking to join the Sonos club. I probably would have got a Home Pod, as I'm an Apple user but my GF has a Google phone.

Currently looking at the Era 100, but naturally wondering if it's worth the step up to the 300. Anyone made the switch? or can vouch for either?

Soldato
Never experienced the issue myself but Sonos have finally fixed the loud bang/pop that some people had when using Dolby Atmos over MAT.

15.10​

Release date: 11/16/2023

In this update:​

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
    • This release includes a fix for a bug that caused an Arc or Beam (Gen 2) to emit a loud popping sound when playing Dolby Atmos audio

I think it can depend on the source as well. Some people report that pop sound when using Atmos on an Xbox but not on a PlayStation

Soldato

New products next year. New sub and new soundbar it seems plus headphones and more.

It looks like Sonos new headphones and their new soundbar, an "arc 2" will be using new drivers based on their technology acquisition of Mayhts a couple years ago.

Mayhts drivers use a pair of small vibrating transducers to produce sound. The advantage over the current dynamic woofers used by the Arc is that they can be smaller and use less power for the same level of volume, or you can the drivers can be the same size but produce significantly louder sounds without increasing required amplification.

It will be interesting to see which way the new Arc soundbar goes; will Sonos fit the bar with smaller speakers that required less amplification or will they fit reasonable 3.5 inch speakers into the bar and these speakers get very loud. Either way, Mayhts drivers are more expensive to produce than what Sonos currently uses and so it's expected the new soundbar will be more expensive than the current Arc.

I'm not sure if the new Sub will also use Mayhts transducers or not. The other benefits of Mayhts transducers is that they don't produce noticeable vibrations in the surroundings, so Sonos would only need to put a single driver into the Sub instead of two like they have now to reduce vibrations

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks like Sonos new headphones and their new soundbar, an "arc 2" will be using new drivers based on their technology acquisition of Mayhts a couple years ago.

Mayhts drivers use a pair of small vibrating transducers to produce sound. The advantage over the current dynamic woofers used by the Arc is that they can be smaller and use less power for the same level of volume, or you can the drivers can be the same size but produce significantly louder sounds without increasing required amplification.

It will be interesting to see which way the new Arc soundbar goes; will Sonos fit the bar with smaller speakers that required less amplification or will they fit reasonable 3.5 inch speakers into the bar and these speakers get very loud. Either way, Mayhts drivers are more expensive to produce than what Sonos currently uses and so it's expected the new soundbar will be more expensive than the current Arc.

I'm not sure if the new Sub will also use Mayhts transducers or not. The other benefits of Mayhts transducers is that they don't produce noticeable vibrations in the surroundings, so Sonos would only need to put a single driver into the Sub instead of two like they have now to reduce vibrations

Hopefully they add self calibration to the products and DTS:HD/X then I may be tempted back ;)

Soldato
That's a software thing, they could add all of that to existing products with new software

Devices need the right type of microphones and placement apparently to get the benefit of auto calibration, was on an interview with them but said it would come on newer products. Hence why the 300's can do it but you won't get the full 100% as the Arc and sub can't and still require you to walk around the room. DTS, software yes, just pay the license fee already, hah!

Soldato
I'm a big fan of manually tuning, so all I want is more granular options in the software. Let me adjust the volume of all speakers individually and give me a EQ

Last edited:
Soldato
Devices need the right type of microphones and placement apparently to get the benefit of auto calibration, was on an interview with them but said it would come on newer products. Hence why the 300's can do it but you won't get the full 100% as the Arc and sub can't and still require you to walk around the room. DTS, software yes, just pay the license fee already, hah!
I think the DTS HD/X issue is the licensing model, you need to pay it per device that can decode, so in a HT set up you'd have to pay for it for the soundbar, sub and both rears. Where's a typical HT set up only the AVR would be licensed, but I'd still rather just pay the few extra pounds or whatever. They only added standard DTS support because the patent on the codec expired.

Though luckily not much content actually uses those codecs.

Though I'd be all for them adding an in app purchase or whatever to enable fully DTS support, similar to how you can add Atmos support to Windows or certain headphones by paying.

Caporegime
I think the DTS HD/X issue is the licensing model, you need to pay it per device that can decode, so in a HT set up you'd have to pay for it for the soundbar, sub and both rears. Where's a typical HT set up only the AVR would be licensed, but I'd still rather just pay the few extra pounds or whatever. They only added standard DTS support because the patent on the codec expired.

Though I'd be all for them adding an in app purchase or whatever to enable fully DTS support, similar to how you can add Atmos support to Windows or certain headphones by paying.
I'd have thought only the arc/beam is actually decoding the codec and sending uncompressed audio to the sub/rears.

Man of Honour
Ultimately why I largely don't care about it anymore. It's very rare we watch a full remix/rip, most content is via the usual streaming services. TBH I haven't missed it, the setup still sounds great when I have it on kid/wife not home volume levels.

Soldato
I moved over to Sennheiser and much prefer DTS:X to Atmos, just places objects so much better. Still hoping for the rumoured rears in 2024, otherwise I may come back to Sonos if this new bar is any good and add the 300's.

Back
Top Bottom