On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Don
Been a while since I've posted here, mostly due to the stupid amount I used to drink and the issues it caused my life.

At its height, I was drinking four bottles of wine per day starting around midday, once I finished the wine I'd go to the pub and hit the pints and shots. Very lucky I managed to survive, still got my family and some of my friends (the ones I lost were basically all **** heads so I lost them via disassociation!)

I've been a very large drinker for most of my life, but when I started binging on wine the slope got very very slippery.

I'm pleased to report I'm currently six months sober, and counting :)

Caporegime
Slipped up, I've been drinking again since Christmas in slowly increasing amounts, but last night went a bit far and I drank half a litre of white rum while hanging out with friends.
I thought I'd just have a little to take the edge off of the anxiety, but it took a lot to do that.

Self medicating is bad! It also lessens the effectiveness of any actual medication designed to deal with anxiety and depression...

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a guy on local BBC radio station saying how people doing dry Jan were missing out on the proven benefits of red wine ,that's fine but people like me who have no will power use this health argument to not quit ,tbf though i think i love the vino too much to quit even though I've tried
1. health benefits
2 life's too short i really enjoy it

not telling anyone else this, this is what i tell myself

edit/ may sound weird a vegan with no will power but i don't miss anything from the dark side

Last edited:
Soldato
Slipped up, I've been drinking again since Christmas in slowly increasing amounts, but last night went a bit far and I drank half a litre of white rum while hanging out with friends.
I thought I'd just have a little to take the edge off of the anxiety, but it took a lot to do that.

Self medicating is bad! It also lessens the effectiveness of any actual medication designed to deal with anxiety and depression...

with me it works wonders while its in my system, seems to give me clarity to see life's bigger picture and make decisions, then the morning comes and i am mr edgy

Associate
Been a while since I've posted here, mostly due to the stupid amount I used to drink and the issues it caused my life.

At its height, I was drinking four bottles of wine per day starting around midday, once I finished the wine I'd go to the pub and hit the pints and shots. Very lucky I managed to survive, still got my family and some of my friends (the ones I lost were basically all **** heads so I lost them via disassociation!)

I've been a very large drinker for most of my life, but when I started binging on wine the slope got very very slippery.

I'm pleased to report I'm currently six months sober, and counting :)
Amazing result! Keep it going!

I can’t even fathom how anyone could drink 4 bottles of wine PER DAY then hit the pub afterwards. Weren’t you totally wasted after the wine? That’s like 40 or so units right? The damage to the body must be pretty severe after prolonged periods of this.

im doing a month or a few months off as my consumption up to Christmas went pretty high. I’m the kind of person whos been brought up around social drinking as if it’s normal so I’ve always enjoyed beer and wine.

Soldato
people doing dry Jan were missing out on the proven benefits of red wine

That 'fact' people like to pull out the bag to justify a glass of red wine is not necessarily true according to the World Health Organisation, and as of a year ago their advice is that "no level of alcohol consumption is safe for our health"

Last edited:
Soldato
That 'fact' people like to pull out the bag to justify a glass of red wine is not necessarily true according to the World Health Organisation, and as of a year ago their advice is that "no level of alcohol consumption is safe for our health"

This is exactly the sort of info i need ,unfortunately though self bias will make me lean towards the positive red wine repots ,wrong thread for me to post these in as i know you guys succeeding are doing the right thing
personally my aim is moderation and better wine

Don
Amazing result! Keep it going!

I can’t even fathom how anyone could drink 4 bottles of wine PER DAY then hit the pub afterwards. Weren’t you totally wasted after the wine? That’s like 40 or so units right? The damage to the body must be pretty severe after prolonged periods of this.

im doing a month or a few months off as my consumption up to Christmas went pretty high. I’m the kind of person whos been brought up around social drinking as if it’s normal so I’ve always enjoyed beer and wine.

I was worryingly fine, I think years/a lifetime of drinking allowed me to hide it quite well, my girlfriend had no idea and neither did any of my mates. God alone knows how many units I was consuming, but it cost around £35-40,000 a year, that was sobering enough on its own!

Soldato
Stopped finally 1st October 22. Not had a wobble since. Looking forward to getting 2 years under my belt. I do have an NA beer from time to time and that does me fine. But even that I drink a lot less of than when I initially quit the sauce.

Reactions: gEd
Associate
I was worryingly fine, I think years/a lifetime of drinking allowed me to hide it quite well, my girlfriend had no idea and neither did any of my mates. God alone knows how many units I was consuming, but it cost around £35-40,000 a year, that was sobering enough on its own!
That is an enormous amount of cash.
I was finding that i could casually polish off 3-4 8% IPAs followed by a bottle of wine in a evening to the run up to Christmas. I don't really touch drink in the week but my weekends are always involving beer/wine intake.
The scary thing was then we were out all day with friends drinking around the city, and the next day id tally up what id had and it was pretty scary tbh.

Associate
How do you guys deal with the expectation surrounding alcohol and celebrations?

I've not had any alcohol for 20 days and would like to continue indefinitely, but I've been invited to an engagement party next month where they'll be an expectation to get hammered.

Soldato
How do you guys deal with the expectation surrounding alcohol and celebrations?

I've not had any alcohol for 20 days and would like to continue indefinitely, but I've been invited to an engagement party next month where they'll be an expectation to get hammered.

Early on in my sobriety I just wouldn't go.

Soldato
Think ive gone two months or so now without a drink and it really doesn't interest me at all right now. Really strange considering how much of regular part of my life it was.

In the first month the difference was clear, sleep improved massively and I felt fresh as a daisy. Now that seems to have just become the norm and that's fine by me!.

I'm confident I could meet friends in a pub and stick with non alcoholic drinks. Not so sure how I'd feel if it was a proper "night out" situation but they are rare or easily avoided.

Seems to have saved a bit of money, not necessarily just from the booze but the additional crap I would buy when Id pop to supermarket for some cans.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to the pub with a couple of mates from work yesterday afternoon, was very surprised to see they had Heineken 0.0 on tap.

I think that's one of the better 0%ers too. I quite enjoy it.

I feel they do a good job of replacing that feeling of a cold refreshing beer after a long day at work. Part of the appeal of drinking was that feeling of it being an event. A feet up, sun shining, cold fresh drink.

I can swap that for a 0% and still feel that satisfaction.

Soldato
I think that's one of the better 0%ers too. I quite enjoy it.

I feel they do a good job of replacing that feeling of a cold refreshing beer after a long day at work. Part of the appeal of drinking was that feeling of it being an event. A feet up, sun shining, cold fresh drink.

I can swap that for a 0% and still feel that satisfaction.
I don't rate Heineken 0 particularly. I think it falls foul of being too malty/sweet. That said, on tap is great. Guinness 0.0 is an excellent facsimile in the well known beers you're likely to get in a pub.

The real good stuff is in the microbreweries. Jump ship in Edinburgh are an exclusive NA brewery. I recently was very impressed with Brulo 7 hop grain. My default is the German Rothaus Tannan Zapfel, a very delicious pilsner.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like I'm off the booze permanently on medical grounds.

Don't think it's 100% necessary but I'd rather not agitate things and I think deep down I've been looking for a way out of the cost, hangovers and stupid decisions anyways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom