Quest 3 owners etc

Associate
Meta are sending me a new unit.
Kinda makes a mockery of the Argos warranty though, like quite literally not worth the paper it’s written on.
Good to know a good outcome is in sight, I prefer Amazon to Argos too. I've known Argos to try it on with refunds, they weren't like that years ago, iirc they were 1 of the 1st retailers to offer a no quibble refund for any reason within 14 days, how times have changed.

Associate
If it was ordered online then it'll fall under distance selling regulation (now consumer contracts regulations), the legal minimum for being able to cancel is 14 days after receipt of the item, as far as I know that does not preclude having opened and used the item.

"A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary.
The extent to which you can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop."

So, you need to check the fit and visuals in a shop.....so you need to do the same at home.

However if they are faulty, which by the sound of it, it is, you could go under sale of goods, and has a lot longer timeframe.

Very surprised that Argos shop was difficult, Another option was to to email argos, tell them you wanted to return the items under consumer contract regulations and let them figure out the details, telling them that having tried the shop, you are not obliged to keep trying other shops until you get one that abides by the law.

But good that Meta is immediately sorting it.

Last edited:
Soldato
i had an issue with my Q2 and took it back to argos. This was after contacting meta support. The person behind the counter said the issue didn't sound like a headset problem. (Like they'd know)
I had to show the meta support messages to the manager before I got my money back.

Associate
I ordered online and collected in store.
I spoke to Argos customer service and they said they can’t help if I collected in store, and only in store staff can help.
I’ve spoken to Meta and I’m waiting for email confirmation that they’ll collect and replace it.
This is why I 99% use Amazon!

I've also not had a good experience with Argos in the past, which did make me hesitate buying my Q3 from them but there's lots of posts showing that dealing with Meta directly is fine so I figured why not.

My son's Xbox controller failed after about 8 months, so I took it back to Argos and they said if it's after 6 months I have to contact Microsoft directly. Obviously that's against Consumer Law and I argued and eventually he said that he would take it back but all they would do is send it on to Microsoft anyway, so it would be quicker for me to do it myself directly. Perhaps he should have led with that.

Soldato
i ordered direct from meta and worked out well headset doesnt have any issues i've found so far.
my only comment was the estimate date was off by 15days and early, they were going to deliver on a saturday to a location that doesnt open on weekends.
other wise pretty smooth.

Associate
Ok I have got the Hons Vr lenses for my quest 2, they are not bad taking into consideration my eye condition Nystagmus and the Quest 2 can be a bit blurry at the best of time, you have to find the sweet spot.

Before I used to adjust the lens IPD setting on the quest to be between the second and third largest, but when ordering the Hons Vr I didn't put in a PD value for the script, I find that the Hons lenses are only clear at the smallest setting.

This means that at times I can feel the hons adapters touching the side of my nose. Anyone else had this, I have heard Hons would redo the lenses at a large discount (if maybe I was to suggest a larger PD value) but to be honest not sure if any point of going down this road.

Underboss
Ok I have got the Hons Vr lenses for my quest 2, they are not bad taking into consideration my eye condition Nystagmus and the Quest 2 can be a bit blurry at the best of time, you have to find the sweet spot.

Before I used to adjust the lens IPD setting on the quest to be between the second and third largest, but when ordering the Hons Vr I didn't put in a PD value for the script, I find that the Hons lenses are only clear at the smallest setting.

This means that at times I can feel the hons adapters touching the side of my nose. Anyone else had this, I have heard Hons would redo the lenses at a large discount (if maybe I was to suggest a larger PD value) but to be honest not sure if any point of going down this road.

Be honest with hons vr. They re did mine

Tell them your ipd, tell them where you put the ipd slider etc tell them where it's clear and when it's not, they will probably ask you to try settings
Give them more information, be up front with them they are very helpful

Last edited:
Associate
quest 3 worth the extra over quest 2 if you just wana play games and don't care about the pass through mixed reality?

The resolution and graphical fidelity is clearly better (like 20-25% I'd say) And the FOV is slightly higher - I checked my Q2 to reset it for sale yesterday and the lower FOV was obvious.

But - the gameplay is basically the same, so if you're short on cash the Q2 is correctly priced and fair value for what it is compared to the Q3.

Last edited:
Soldato
quest 3 worth the extra over quest 2 if you just wana play games and don't care about the pass through mixed reality?

Really depends how much you are happy to spend. The Quest 2 is a good VR experience and I was happy with mine until I bought a Quest 3. The Quest 3 is better, but obviously costs considerably more than picking up a used Quest 2. So a Quest 2 is going to be better value and is certainly "good enough" to enjoy VR games, but the Quest 3 is nicer if you are willing to pay the extra.

Last edited:
Soldato
But - the gameplay is basically the same, so if you're short on cash the Q2 is correctly priced and fair value for what it is compared to the Q3.
at the moment a lot of games will be limited to Q2 specs so we wont get improvements untill we get q3 excusives at a guess.
i do have to wonder about the q2 phase out plan though.

i'll be looking to order some Hons in a few weeks after next eye exam.
i've left the plastic film on currently and wearing glasses to protect the lenses as a just in case, its just like having stuff on your glasses when walking around, i sort of just forget about it mostly.

Soldato
I was trying to do a session in LesMills this morning and it was adamant I should stand right at the back of my boundary, almost in the wall?!? Is this normal? I realise now, I should have just redrawn my boundary and cut a meter off the back, but is there not a way I can tell a game to recentre itself on me? Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I was trying to do a session in LesMills this morning and it was adamant I should stand right at the back of my boundary, almost in the wall?!? Is this normal? I realise now, I should have just redrawn my boundary and cut a meter off the back, but is there not a way I can tell a game to recentre itself on me? Thanks.

Long hold of the oculus button normally does it.

Associate
Regarding the Hons VR adapters that hold the lens in place, any of you managed to get them off (if the need arises) once they are installed on the Quest 2?
Yes, no problem, when attached on mine thay "just" about hold themselves in place, meaning I find it very easy to take them out again.

Associate
Thanks, the lenses themselves come off easy, its actually the adapters themselves as once fitted they do seem very tight in place, and think they would probably break if I tried to force them off.

Soldato
Two days ago I bought a WiFi 6 router to use as a dedicated pcvr router for my quest 3 to use with virtual desktop.

Image quality wise, it's good. Av1 10 bit looks nice. H264 doesn't look as good as wired link, there is a strange grid like covering over all of the blue sky in AMS2, but this goes away on av1 10 bit.

However the latency is poor in my opinion. Can really feel it when trying to drive the cars. Individual components are good: game 6ms, encode 7ms, network 7ms, decode 10ms. But the total latency reported is pushing 60ms so not sure what is going wrong but it's making the game difficult to play. I'm also getting regular very small microstuttering.

I also had a headset freeze in the middle of a race yesterday and had to reboot. Not acceptable when racing competitively, as that's race over.

I'll play with settings a bit more but in all likelihood I'll be returning the router and sticking to wired link.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom