ramthor's monster build

Soldato
Why are you buying an old Titan X?

Troll Thread?

No he is putting it in with a view to getting proper titanx Pascal hence mentioning he adds another £100 for proper titan x pascal cost. It's in the OP.

I'd suggest looking at

6 core cpu

32gig of ram - do you want or need 32gig or would 16 gig do fine?

A motherboard that will let you use the m.2 and normal ssd

AIO water setup would be fine too - Corsair or EK's new stuff - Even the OCUK tech labs stuff is good, they do the plumbing and you just fit it.

Case fans and rad fans - get proper fans and remove the stock fans you'll get with an AIO cooler and case fans.

Case - your call what you get - make sure it can fit a rad in the roof

1000 PSU is plenty good for titan sli (later on) and your whole setup.

SSD's - M.2 for OS I presume? and other applications with the larger ssd for the games?

Do you want or need a dvd drive? You can buy a cheapo external drive and load windows 10 off of it, then stick the dvd drive in a drawer.

Win 10 - buy the cheapest version you can get. No point in the pro version if you'll not use the features on it.

Have you though about cabling and getting some proper braided cables? I bought the cablemod cables for my red and black build and it makes the build really pop.

Graphics card - Get a pascal titan as you mentioned. EVGA are doing a watercooled version iirc. Aim to get that and let that baby fly :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
If the system uses 500W... a 1200W PSU will be more efficient than a 1000W or 850W PSU and potentially be a little quieter in operation.

For £20 extra... I would buy the 1200W too!

This......

I had the option of buying the 1000 Watt or the 1200 Watt for my build. I decided to go for the 1200 Watt as its more efficient, and its quiet too.

Soldato
This......

I had the option of buying the 1000 Watt or the 1200 Watt for my build. I decided to go for the 1200 Watt as its more efficient, and its quiet too.

lol - my 850w with 2x GTX Titans was quiet

LMAO

Why has he got a HTC vive in the basket when he said nothing about VR in his essay.

yeah...again, lol but that's my personal opinion on VR, just a gimmick :D

Associate
OP
I'd suggest looking at
6 core cpu

6850K is a 6 core

32gig of ram - do you want or need 32gig or would 16 gig do fine?

32GB for future proofing and video editing

A motherboard that will let you use the m.2 and normal ssd
I thought Asus Rampage x99 let's you have m.2 and SATA at the same time?

AIO water setup would be fine too - Corsair or EK's new stuff - Even the OCUK tech labs stuff is good, they do the plumbing and you just fit it.
Not confident enough to get into watercooling just yet.

Case - your call what you get - make sure it can fit a rad in the roof
I checked and Graphite 760T has that option. You can see it even in the pictures on the website.

1000 PSU is plenty good for titan sli (later on) and your whole setup.
Again, there is a £20 price difference between 1000W and 1200W so I think it's worth it.
SSD's - M.2 for OS I presume? and other applications with the larger ssd for the games?
Yes :)
Do you want or need a dvd drive? You can buy a cheapo external drive and load windows 10 off of it, then stick the dvd drive in a drawer.Win 10 - buy the cheapest version you can get. No point in the pro version if you'll not use the features on it.
I might add a Blu-Ray drive later but the difference in price for Windows 10 doesn't come from the fact that it's sold on a USB drive but because it is Pro Retail instead of Home OEM. I might change it for Home but I still want the future proofing of the Retail.

Have you though about cabling and getting some proper braided cables? I bought the cablemod cables for my red and black build and it makes the build really pop.
Yes I did and I say a full Corsair kit is about £75. I'll probably get that afterwards when I'm happy with all the hardware and only cosmetic touches are needed.

Graphics card - Get a pascal titan as you mentioned. EVGA are doing a watercooled version iirc.
Will do. I thought Titan X Pascal is only sold by nVidia and it will ever be.
Aim to get that and let that baby fly :D
DJI FTW ! :)

Associate
OP
The Corsair H115i in your original spec is an AIO Watercooling unit though?

All-in-One is much easier to handle than custom made water cooling.
Even on overclockers.co.uk my cooling solution is listed in the Air Cooling section. As it should be.

Last edited:
Don
All-in-One is much easier to handle than custom made water cooling.
Even on overclockers.co.uk my cooling solution is listed in the Air Cooling section. As it should be.

The H115i is actually listed in all-in-one watercooling not air, but that's besides the point.

The point was that OcUK do some tech labs pre-filled water cooling kits that offer custom performance without having to assemble/fill.

Associate
OP
I want to do it as a hobby. My job is a personal thing unrelated to my OP.

So you don't do anything at the moment? and it's nothing to do with your job.

Just because I don't want to post here my personal details doesn't mean I don't do anything but nice assumption.

Pretty expensive outlay for something that isn't even your hobby atm.
It will be along with VR but gaming already is and so are 4K movies.

I appreciate your negative views nevertheless.

Associate
OP
Underboss
Because I might add a second Titan X down the line as I already mentioned above.

I saw that just thought that 1200w was overkill for 2 Titans, didn't realise that the difference was £20 so yeah I would do the same.

If you deduct the monitor and the Vive it's £4,100. Still crazy?

Yeah kinda, you can get a decent built machine with custom WC for that price and I think they come pre-overclocked, that's what I would in this situation, to each his own though.

I hope you noticed it is the retail version of Windows 10 PRO. What you are suggesting is Home OEM edition. I need Pro and Retail because I need Remote Desktop built in and I don't want OEM to tie me to one mobo if I want to change it.

I didn't read the bit in the OP about needing Remote Desktop, still the CD version will save you £30, but as already mentioned in a build this expensive, that's a marginal saving - fair one.

You're suggesting this is not decent. I still can't see why.

No, it's decent, it's the top of the line stuff in many cases, but I think you can get a more balanced build for the same/less price.

My edits in red, I can't do the quote breakdowns, way to much copy/paste.

Either way, enjoy the build you do get, it'll be a great system either way.

Soldato
Don't know why everyone is picking on the guy. Sounds to me like he has a very decent wad of cash to blow, and he wants a monster gaming rig. Nowt wrong with that, might die tomorrow.

Having said that, the OP has made a few questionable choices and you really don't need to spend that much. I built a pretty hefty gaming rig end of last year/ start of this that was based around an x99 Sabertooth, 5930k, 2x980Ti in SLI, an Acer x34, all AIO watercooled (including both GPU's) with lots of fan tweaks and customisation, and all wrapped up in, what I think anyway, a very beautiful (but expensive) Lian Li pc-08 glass case. Probably cost about 3.5k all told but I didn't do it all at once so can't remember now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom