Raspberry Pi 5 Announced!

Man of Honour
My experience of ordering direct from Argon40 hasn’t been the best so far and I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m whacked for customs. Waiting for Pi Hut is definitely the sensible option.

I've ordered an Argon NEO Case from Pimoroni for now; will just order an NVME base when available but will also be Ordering an Argon One when available for my other Pi5; ideally I'd like a Argon EON Pi NAS case but its not available for the 5 yet!

Permabanned
My Argon40 Neo NVMe case turned up yesterday.

IMG-3094.jpg

IMG-3095.jpg

As I said previously, I ordered direct with Argon in China and would not recommend versus ordering from Pi Hut. I saved 87p but their communication is non-existent. Let’s hope the case works otherwise I’m stuffed. :D

Man of Honour
What are the encrypted download speeds like? IIRC I dumped my RPI4 for an Odroid C4 because the Pi’s VPN speeds were dire on a gigabit connection.

I'm using VPN on my Pi5 in two ways - NordVPN via OpenVPN for downloading and its rapid; I'm also using it as a Wireguard Server for getting connected when I'm out and about (on a 1Gig Fibre) and I'm not too impressed with the speed but its more than fast enough for using the terminal, or tinkering with the setup or using the connection o RDP into my Windows PC.

Soldato
I'm using VPN on my Pi5 in two ways - NordVPN via OpenVPN for downloading and its rapid; I'm also using it as a Wireguard Server for getting connected when I'm out and about (on a 1Gig Fibre) and I'm not too impressed with the speed but its more than fast enough for using the terminal, or tinkering with the setup or using the connection o RDP into my Windows PC.
Yeah, I don’t believe Wireguard will benefit from any acceleration on the Pi 5 while OpenVPN (when configured to use AES) should be able to offload the crypto

Man of Honour
Yeah, I don’t believe Wireguard will benefit from any acceleration on the Pi 5 while OpenVPN (when configured to use AES) should be able to offload the crypto

Interesting; I was happy enough with OpenVPN for my Remote VPN but I was forced to switching to WireGuard when I was using Unraid; I might try OpenVPN for it again and see if I get a noticeably different performance for Remote Access

Permabanned
The PCI ribbon on the Argon Neo 5 is fiddly as hell. The instructions show to connect it to the Raspberry Pi first and then the base. I ended up having to do it the other way around as the connector on the base is way harder to get the ribbon into all the way.

It’s done though. Time to install Plex!

Commissario
I've now moved my Pi5 from the office to my radio shack so that it's on a UPS and the fan in the official case is annoying me. It cycles on and off and although it's barely audible, it IS audible so I've ordered the passive FLIRC case. I hope it'll be reasonably effective otherwise I might end up with this.

Soldato
I've now moved my Pi5 from the office to my radio shack so that it's on a UPS and the fan in the official case is annoying me. It cycles on and off and although it's barely audible, it IS audible so I've ordered the passive FLIRC case. I hope it'll be reasonably effective otherwise I might end up with this.
that is a very sexy case. I've switched to active cooling on my 4 as passive kept getting saturated before the load had wound down.
Have you considered one of those tower coolers just without a fan?

Don
What sort do you mean?
These sort of ridiculous things I think

Associate
Love that case, a cluster of these would be jaw dropping to look at IMHO. Trouble is that price :(

Permabanned
£63 for a Raspberry Pi case is bonkers. I wonder if anyone has done some proper analysis on what a Pi5 actually needs in terms of passive cooling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom