Raspberry Pi 5 Announced!

Associate
Anyone tried either the Argon Neo 5 or Flirc cases for the Pi 5 yet? I had a flirc on my pi 4 and thought it was great but a little worried about the fact it doesnt cool the second chip on the pi 5 and wondering if that argon neo is the better choice because of that.

Associate
Got mine delivered, but honestly struggling to decide exactly what to use it for. Would be keen on trying Windows ARM on it, but I believe that's still not there

Why would you put Windows on a Pi? Please no... there's a plethora of images to choose from, and how easy it is to image an SD card you have nothing to lose, have some fun, experiment! Or post it to me ;)

Soldato
Why would you put Windows on a Pi? Please no... there's a plethora of images to choose from, and how easy it is to image an SD card you have nothing to lose, have some fun, experiment! Or post it to me ;)
I've used RetroPie and a variety of other images to tinker with, i'm sure I'll find some use :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone tried either the Argon Neo 5 or Flirc cases for the Pi 5 yet? I had a flirc on my pi 4 and thought it was great but a little worried about the fact it doesnt cool the second chip on the pi 5 and wondering if that argon neo is the better choice because of that.
Yep! I loved the FLIRC with my previous Pi 4 so bought one for the 5. Temperature sits at 35 degrees idle. A stressberry run pushed it up to 67 degrees. No temperature recordings for the power management chip though.

Associate
Yep! I loved the FLIRC with my previous Pi 4 so bought one for the 5. Temperature sits at 35 degrees idle. A stressberry run pushed it up to 67 degrees. No temperature recordings for the power management chip though.
Thanks, thats reassuring. I was the same with the FLIRC on my 4 as well. It essentially ran 24/7 for the best part of 4 years and I imagine the 5 will do the same so I quite like the fact its passive and never having to worry about cleaning etc. I run mine headless with only a single USB HDD and ethernet attached so I'm hoping the power maangement chip doesnt do tons on mine anyway and I might keep going on the FLIRC route.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
What are the encrypted download speeds like? IIRC I dumped my RPI4 for an Odroid C4 because the Pi’s VPN speeds were dire on a gigabit connection.

Soldato
I had just upgraded from the Pi4 4gb to the 8gb version as the 4gb version was throttling by using a swap file when moving a large amount or large files about, when on holiday and came back to see the Pi5 announced.

The Pi4 in the flirc case does what I need it to do for now, which is basically a headerless jump box.. that I can set stuff off downloading from and jump on to it remotely and do "stuff" on other devices on the network when away from home; thou I tend to work from home now a days.

Good to see that the flirc case does it's job correctly as having a passive cooling system is one of the main reasons why I use a Pi rather than a NUC of some sort..

Still debating on getting the Pi5 at the moment, it just seems to be a habbit of upgrading now a days as I've had at least one of each model so far. I may wait to see if a 16GB version comes out.

Also the NVMe hat/base would be extremely useful in my scenario but the flirc case and most passive cooling cases don't offer much support in terms of hats/bases.

Associate
What is the best desktop OS for pi 5 that is not Pi OS?
That is going to almost entirely depend on what you want to do with the Pi, what type of GUI you like & what you want to come pre-loaded. Without some qualifiers or direction on what you are likely to do with it people will only be able to list what they prefer and there are so many Linux distro's...

If you want something simple then Linux Mint is meant to be quite a good starting place; the Pi OS is a customised version of Ubuntu so you may also want to take a look at that.

Back
Top Bottom