Road Cycling

Soldato
Recent annoying trend continues, every spring ish day since Easter Saturday when I ought to head out on the bike, I feel extra rubbish with headache and other pains so it doesn't happen. Meh.
Remove the pressure of 'getting a ride in as the weather is nice' and just do some other things. We'll have more good weather, remove the expectation of 'making the most if it' and just go when it fits in and you feel up to it, regardless of what the weather is doing (providing isn't horrific!) :D

If anything they'll go with my current bike even better as it's all black/grey :p

I'm bit of a contradiction at times. I love understated subtle things but then I am also a fan of obnoxiously bright items of clothing too :cry:
I like things slightly different, so tend to go for bright colours and contrast... Retired Raver, so really anything goes! Still not quite sure why I pushed so hard to get the 'Black & Grey' bike over the Grey & Purple/pink one! ;)

Funny you say that. I wore my assos bibs on the trainer last night and as I looked down I felt a bit fatter than usual. The way they're cut quite low can make it look like you've got a bit of a pot belly going on :cry:
Are all of my bibs the same cut so all of them make me look like I've got a belly?! Hmmmm... Hadn't considered that! :D

Me again.

Anyone know of any good bar tapes that are black with a bit of a glossy shine to them that arent tacky (I'm too much of a scratter for tacky) or leather (it's a couple of decades til.i draw my pension yet)
Why not standard corky stuff?

Have to admit I wasn't sold on the tacky looks of the 'Lizard Skins DSP' I got to go on the turbo bike (got it as is thick and known to protect alloy bars from sweat more than others!), but now living with it for a couple of years I like it. It definitely didn't feel 'sticky' for more than a couple of rides so don't think it'd pick up dust and it has remained looking glossy through it's life.

Outdoors I'm on standard cork stuff. Current couple are pretty poor for quality or lengevity but have been wrapped a couple of times. Once I'm finished moving bars and stuff around I'll likely wrap the daily/winter/commuter/do-everything back in Specialized S-Wrap Roubiax. It's nothing special, looks like plain cork, but it feels nice and the couple of times I've put it on it lasts 2 or 3 times longer than the cheap stuff before cutting up/looking worn.

Soldato
Whoop. First metric century done. Snuck in just under 4 hours. Around 800m ascent so not too bad.

Was doing great until around the last 30 minutes. Then I just developed pain in my knee and toes! Along with a sore bum.
Well done, one crossed off so now make them a regular thing and decide what you can do to make them easier/faster/less strain/less recovery etc etc. Or go for the Imperial!

Because i am a tart.

I'm currently looking at 'Supacaz' Super Kushy Fade.

Probably not ideal after yesterdays ride as I was pretty stiff/sore.
You'd be surprised, did you talk about the aches and pains you had after it? That can tell him just as much as looking at you on the bike.

It'll take you a while to get used to changes, I wouldn't suddenly plan to jump on and do another 4-5 hours this weekend. Probably better 2-3 with an option of cutting it short if you're really suffering. Fingers crossed the opposite - you can always do another quick/known hour loop at the end if feeling great!

Awesome. Just basic chat at this stage. So will try and firm up dates. They initially said September but we pointed out September is nice here. Might as well escape the heat!

They can sleep 6 easy. Maybe an ocuk holiday venue! (3 doubles….) although I’ve also got an airbed!
How close is the beach? Is there a pool? Can I get all inclusive for a family of 3 with flights for less than 3.5 grand a week? :cry:

Well thats wonderful. Took my TCR SL into the local shop to get them to look at/face the disc mounts on the rear of the frame because the brake could never be centred when the bolts were torqued properly and they have just called to say that the carbon on the top of the chainstay is not good and needs to be warrantied.

Just as we should be getting into some good weather I am going to have to strip and send off my frame to be warrantied, probably losing it for a month or more.
Brutal, but also - glad they caught it before it could develop into some critical failure and cause an injury - or worse!

Also be thankful for Giant lifetime frame warranty. Yes it sucks, but you'll get a spanking new frame in the current guise/model.

Bought Defy 1 2015 in 13/14/14.
Reported crack to LBS 19/11/21. Discussed options.
Dropped off 27/11/21.
Giant agreed warranty after LBS assessment 01/12/21
Arrived to LBS 01/01/22.
Components swapped and I picked up on the 06/01/22.

So really less than 4 weeks from Giant agreeing to the warranty and then supplying from Europe a bare frame (Contend SL1) during the post-Covid shortages. Probably a week lost asking questions and them checking availabity on options/sizes (I'd asked to swap it for a Disc model, or to drop a size so could use it for my other half, but both not options/stock). I was told likely 2-3 weeks for supply at start of December so was hopeful. It arrived in the UK sometime over Xmas and LBS struggled to track it down so maybe another week lost there.

Soldato
Well done, one crossed off so now make them a regular thing and decide what you can do to make them easier/faster/less strain/less recovery etc etc. Or go for the Imperial!

You'd be surprised, did you talk about the aches and pains you had after it? That can tell him just as much as looking at you on the bike.

It'll take you a while to get used to changes, I wouldn't suddenly plan to jump on and do another 4-5 hours this weekend. Probably better 2-3 with an option of cutting it short if you're really suffering. Fingers crossed the opposite - you can always do another quick/known hour loop at the end if feeling great!

How close is the beach? Is there a pool? Can I get all inclusive for a family of 3 with flights for less than 3.5 grand a week? :cry:

Top to bottom!

Yeah, My goal is Imperial by end of June at least. Should be pretty achievable. I'm also going to try and sign up to an event. Maybe something up to 3-4 hours. I think i'll benefit from the atmosphere/build up. I know for sure i wouldn't have wanted some of the Ultras i ran being my first event. Can help get an idea for how much speed you can get whilst using someone else as a windshield too :D

Yeah, i mentioned everything. Was tricky as most were things i've never had before so hard to know. He did mention most of what i said hurt would point to certain things, but then those things seemed reasonable. I think mainly just a biggish jump in ride time and nothing which hurt afterwards.

10 mins to beach and yes to a pool. I've actually been winding them up saying i'll offer to watch the cat and then sub let it out for €2k a week :D

Associate
Anyone doing the Dirty Reiver at the weekend? I signed up in a moment of peer pressure and haven't managed to train much.
Managed 95 miles and almost 2700m and a 71mile audax with 2000m of climbing with some shorter rides in-between over the last few weeks - don't feel like I'm ready for 130 mile and around 3700m on Saturday :(

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Also be thankful for Giant lifetime frame warranty. Yes it sucks, but you'll get a spanking new frame in the current guise/model.

Yeah, fingers crossed. My only fear is that they are going to try and blame me and say I have overtightened the bolt or something. They almost certainly won't have the team colours SL available to replace it as well and I paid extra for that. Shame but as long as I get a new frame or my money back I am OK.

Moved everything back to the old TCR frame last night and I forget how much of an absolute ball ache doing the di2 wires with all the cable ties attached is. They snag on damn near everything and just want to coil into a mess inside the frame. I might have to treat myself to one of those internal cable routing kits with the magnets and wire. It would genuinely have taken about 45 minutes to 1 hour less if I didn't have to faff with those 2 cables.

Soldato
Dammit, i keep taking slight variations of the same route, and so the Strava "trending faster" thing doesn't work as well.

Rode today on the usual route and was curious if things were better since the bike fit. Wasn't expecting much as my legs still felt heavy from Sundays ride, but it's actually showing as my fastest effort despite a fairly heavy head wind. The downside is it's only comparing to 2 other rides on the exact route, and one was on my MTB and i sure as hell aren't digging through segments.

Last edited:
Soldato
Compare normalised power if distance and elevation is similar, if you normally focus on overall ride time, rather than specific segments (in the past I'd often target personal bests on hill climbs)?

Oh yeah, it's too early to get any meaningful data out. Was just curious from the first ride in the new setup whether anything would be different.

Soldato
Is Nicholas Holford someone on here? Random Strava follow request with nobody in common...

Top to bottom!

Yeah, My goal is Imperial by end of June at least. Should be pretty achievable. I'm also going to try and sign up to an event. Maybe something up to 3-4 hours. I think i'll benefit from the atmosphere/build up. I know for sure i wouldn't have wanted some of the Ultras i ran being my first event. Can help get an idea for how much speed you can get whilst using someone else as a windshield too :D

Yeah, i mentioned everything. Was tricky as most were things i've never had before so hard to know. He did mention most of what i said hurt would point to certain things, but then those things seemed reasonable. I think mainly just a biggish jump in ride time and nothing which hurt afterwards.

10 mins to beach and yes to a pool. I've actually been winding them up saying i'll offer to watch the cat and then sub let it out for €2k a week :D
An Imperial is a good milestone, but also something to use as just a measure. It's a good target and however ridden is usually a good day on the bike (being 6 or 8+ hours!) to say you've done it and how you handled it/the recovery. Not many of us do a massive amount of them (excluding you @One More Solo !) so the majority of times we'll build to it, or at least be fairly planned/structured around them.

Events are good for feeling what it's like to be around other riders. But where you are - although there will be a lot of 'fast' group rides as there's so many Professionals based there - there should also be some more relaxed 'coffee-stop' group rides around. They will be a much better (friendly) pace, as highly likely there will be a few ex-professionals and older pro riders around, or at least very good club guys who don't ride that much, or that fast, yet still like to get the miles in.

issue with supacaz stuff is how quickly it fades! Lizard skins DSP in black 2.5mm is my preferred but not at RRP.
What colours have you had fade? I'm mainly looking at dark stuff. The Black/Platinum fade (although hard to find), so not really sure about the Black/Silver as might be too shiny... Do like the look of the non-fade as it comes in 'Gunmetal' and doesn't look shiny (I'm trying to maintain a matt look to the new toy)... https://www.merlincycles.com/supacaz-super-sticky-kush-bar-tape-120369.html

Moved everything back to the old TCR frame last night and I forget how much of an absolute ball ache doing the di2 wires with all the cable ties attached is. They snag on damn near everything and just want to coil into a mess inside the frame. I might have to treat myself to one of those internal cable routing kits with the magnets and wire. It would genuinely have taken about 45 minutes to 1 hour less if I didn't have to faff with those 2 cables.
Yeah those cable ties are annoying. Have to admit the couple of places where I didn't/couldn't put them and had some slack cable (bars & chainstay) I've not noticed any rattling of di2 wires... Yet! If was building again would probably slot the wires into the foam stuff rather than use the clip on tie things, certainly down the seattube where they likely all ended up at the bottom and not many in the actual tube as shoving them in below the seatpost was almost impossible!

Dammit, i keep taking slight variations of the same route, and so the Strava "trending faster" thing doesn't work as well.

Rode today on the usual route and was curious if things were better since the bike fit. Wasn't expecting much as my legs still felt heavy from Sundays ride, but it's actually showing as my fastest effort despite a fairly heavy head wind. The downside is it's only comparing to 2 other rides on the exact route, and one was on my MTB and i sure as hell aren't digging through segments.
Possibly too early to tell, although with any knee/foot pain the big difference in saddle height might have a quick impact, generally the changes will take a while to manifest. If anything, it might feel harder and slower for a few weeks while you adapt. But the changes should bring more long term benefits. Maybe to power transfer, maybe to endurance but also more likely less fatigue & strain (which is very hard to measure). So although they might not directly impact your riding, they should aid recovery and you might more easily notice improvements in comfort when you're really pushing yourself into 'uncomfortable territory' time/distance wise once you've adapted to them (when you you might actually be worse short-term)...!

Good week of Zwift efforts for me and the legs are going well. Some FRR on the weekend (iTT & Scratch race), ZRL TTT (with an FTP bump) and WTRL TTT last night. Unsure if I'll be outdoors with the club tomorrow as do have a bunch of chores to get through... If I don't will be finding something saturday afternoon to finish the week as family plans away from home most of sunday...

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah those cable ties are annoying. Have to admit the couple of places where I didn't/couldn't put them and had some slack cable (bars & chainstay) I've not noticed any rattling of di2 wires... Yet! If was building again would probably slot the wires into the foam stuff rather than use the clip on tie things, certainly down the seattube where they likely all ended up at the bottom and not many in the actual tube as shoving them in below the seatpost was almost impossible!

I've treated myself to an internal cable routing kit from park tool so that when I have to do this at least another couple of times in the coming months it should be quite painless. Luckily, Giant have either had the forethought or luck to make all of their cable entry/exit points just large enough to get a Shimano disc hose with adaptor through so I haven't had to redo the hoses again.

I had a length of foam tubing that was over the rear brake hose internally which is a right menace to A, get over the hose in the first place and B, get in the right place in the frame to do what its supposed to. I have just ignored it for now as I know the TCR is going to be dismantled again relatively soon but I will probably do it again when I get the replacement frame back.

Back
Top Bottom