Road Cycling

fez

fez

Caporegime
Quick question :)

105 Di2 or Rival etap axs, coming from tiagra.

Honestly I think they will both be great. I much prefer the look of di2 personally. Looks less chunky and out of proportion. Mainly in the rear derailleur. I find mineral oil is far easier to work with as well vs dot which SRAM uses.

There was an issue with SRAMs front mechs a few years ago but I haven't heard much about it lately so I assume its fixed.

Personally I would pick whichever you can get a better deal on and prefer the aesthetics of.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I was having a thought earlier about the fact that I struggle to find things that fit me. Clothes, bikes etc. This led me to wonder... why don't we use peoples height to the shoulder as a far more common metric? When sizing a bike it doesn't matter if you have a long head and neck or basically none at all but it could make quite a lot of difference. I know that things like inside leg, arm and torso length are more important but as a very basic metric, height is rubbish. It could be made very slightly less rubbish by asking people to measure their height to their shoulder.

Soldato
Am i being thick here?
I doubt it, my road bike is 50/34 with 11-34 with lots of use of the easiest gear in recent outdoor rides, while I've also recently had the hybrid off the turbo with 26/36/48 and 12-36...

26/36 is lovely up ~5%+ inclines with weak legs! :cry:

Clearly if we do an OCUK group ride we know who's with who :D

Soldato
I don't think there's a bad choice. I went Etap with a mix of Force/Rival as i liked the idea of full wireless rather than still routing wires to components.

On the subject of gearing, it seems clear i'm the resident weakling with a 48/35 and 10-36 :p
I'm currently running 48/32 and 11-36 with every intention of fitting a 44t mountain bike cassette for an event later this year. :D

One of the best things for normal cyclists about the move to 12 speed has been the introduction of bigger gears as standard. Unless you live somewhere very flat, I think a 32t minimum rear cog makes riding so much more enjoyable and achievable.
Quick question :)

105 Di2 or Rival etap axs, coming from tiagra.
I prefer Di2 for ease of setup once it's on the bike. SRAM obviously has the massive advantage of being fully wireless so is really quick to get on the bike, but I find the indexing really faffy and I hate that the front derailleur doesn't auto-trim. Di2 moves the front derailleur automatically as you shift up and down at the back to avoid chain rub whereas SRAM relies on you setting the angle and height *just* right and loves getting knocked out of place.

The Shimano brakes are much easier to bleed. However, I love that you can swap batteries on eTap between front and rear and it's way easier to carry a spare.

I find the ergonomics of both similar now. Di2 used to be much nicer but SRAM has improved a lot on that front.

If relevant, Shimano kit is generally better for touring/travelling as shops will almost always have Shimano spares but very rarely SRAM.

It's pretty much a tie for me for general riding.

Last edited:
Soldato
I prefer Di2 for ease of setup once it's on the bike. SRAM obviously has the massive advantage of being fully wireless so is really quick to get on the bike, but I find the indexing really faffy and I hate that the front derailleur doesn't auto-trim. Di2 moves the front derailleur automatically as you shift up and down at the back to avoid chain rub whereas SRAM relies on you setting the angle and height *just* right and loves getting knocked out of place.

That's a good point. I don't half get some noise depending where i am on the cassette.

Soldato
Also, there's a few segments on my regular route which i must do a couple times a week where Strava is completely wrong. This is classed as an 18% cat 4 climb, yet as you can see. There's no way i'm flying up a hill like that at 20kph!

n3Rn4m6.png

It shows as >100m but the actual elevation is only around 20m

Where on earth is it getting it's data from!

Soldato
Also, there's a few segments on my regular route which i must do a couple times a week where Strava is completely wrong. This is classed as an 18% cat 4 climb, yet as you can see. There's no way i'm flying up a hill like that at 20kph!

n3Rn4m6.png

It shows as >100m but the actual elevation is only around 20m

Where on earth is it getting it's data from!
Yup I'm definitely at the back :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
I hate that the front derailleur doesn't auto-trim. Di2 moves the front derailleur automatically as you shift up and down at the back to avoid chain rub whereas SRAM relies on you setting the angle and height *just* right and loves getting knocked out of place.

I didn't realise that. I love auto-trim. I assume its a patent issue because its not hard to implement and its a great feature.

Soldato
I didn't realise that. I love auto-trim. I assume its a patent issue because its not hard to implement and its a great feature.
I'm not sure if it's a patent thing or SRAM just trying to be different. It was the same on their mechanical groupsets too - the idea that you can use the whole cassette without having to trim the front mech is a great one but it's very hard to pull off with the tolerances available.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm not sure if it's a patent thing or SRAM just trying to be different. It was the same on their mechanical groupsets too - the idea that you can use the whole cassette without having to trim the front mech is a great one but it's very hard to pull off with the tolerances available.

Not gonna lie, even with a shimano mechanical groupset I always struggled to get the auto trim to work perfectly. ie. you could use almost the entire wrong end of the rear cassette for the front chainring. Can't imagine how bad it would be without it at all. Then again, perhaps I just shouldn't be cross chaining that much and should learn not to do it.

Back
Top Bottom