*** Show us your Dogs ***

Caporegime
Hi Guys,
Quick q as i really cant see anything solid.
When looking at rehoming a dog, not one from a dog kennel such as dogs trust. But one from either a friend of a friend or via sites like pets for homes. So someone you dont really know. But is essentially not a charity or buisness.
What is a reasonable number of times do people feel would be acceptable to visit the dog before taking them home?

I hope that makes sense, basically i cant really see anything concrete said what peoples thoughts are. I personally think anything more than twice, with the third time to take the dog is plentiful, anything more to me would be maybe seen by the current owner as taking the mickey? but i just dont know. :) So a guide/other peoples opinions would be super welcome. :)

Thank you

Koda came from abroad so never met him once.
But if you have the option... It's one of those.. How long is a piece of string.

Might love the dog immediately and want to take them there and then. I'd say if you need too many visits.. Might a be a subconscious reason you don't want that dog?

But as to minimum? 1 or 2?

Associate
Hi Guys,
Quick q as i really cant see anything solid.
When looking at rehoming a dog, not one from a dog kennel such as dogs trust. But one from either a friend of a friend or via sites like pets for homes. So someone you dont really know. But is essentially not a charity or buisness.
What is a reasonable number of times do people feel would be acceptable to visit the dog before taking them home?

I hope that makes sense, basically i cant really see anything concrete said what peoples thoughts are. I personally think anything more than twice, with the third time to take the dog is plentiful, anything more to me would be maybe seen by the current owner as taking the mickey? but i just dont know. :) So a guide/other peoples opinions would be super welcome. :)

Thank you
More a question of how long you spend with the dog - alone - and whether you and the dog feel comfortable with each other. If the dog is looking to leave your company within a few minutes rather than maintain interest then maybe not a good choice. You obviously won't bond immediately but a dog will soon let you know if it doesn't like you.

Soldato
Thank you gents, i do appreciate the replies, however i am thinking ive not explained myself too well, or exactly what im wanting to know :).

I am not talking about quality/length of time visiting a dog, yes absolutely you cant visit for 5 minutes and class that as a visit, also if the dog wont come near you or at least doesnt seem to like you then its probably a bad sign.
So I think 30 mins to an hour visit length hopefully time to go for a walk if the current owner permits, a decent owner would be fine with this i realise, so all of this im sure about :).

What im trying to get at is, do you think its rude/not necessary to say ask for 5 visits before making a decision? When we did look on pets for homes, a few owners had assumed you go see the dog for an hour say but then either come back next week to take or take that day.

When ive asked people how many visits they think would be acceptable before taking a dog its a bit vague, i know if its a puppy from a breeder, people seem to go choose one there and then and go back when they`re ready to leave mum and take so second visit.

Hope that makes more sense what im trying to ask people.

i know a dog kennels/rehoming center you have to do several visits but I am talking about a private person rehoming their pet. :)

Sorry if this comes across rude/abrupt its not my intention, im not always the best explaining what im trying to ask.

Caporegime
I would probably say 5 is excessive. As in if you need 5 visits that dog is probably not for you.

With koda (I actually didn't want a dog) my Partner showed me a pic of him and he looked cute. a proper dog (ie a proper nose) and a nice medium size. But you know you like the look. At this point I said "as long as you look after him etc, you can get him"

But after that it's. Surely quite quick to know if you like the temperament? But really you're never going to fully know until you take them. Most decent breeders and all Rescues will take a dog back. That's what I'd want to know. Can you give the dog back if it doesn't work out?

Because you can't fully know until you get them. It was actually a requirement with koda if we didn't want him he would go back to that rescue.

Turns out he was the best dog I could ever ask for. No lie or exaggeration. He's ideal. But he didn't become himself until a fair while. I look after home more. And take him for adventures. We have more pics together than me and my gf.

There's only so much you can get from visits.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats great thank you for that reply, yes that is the sort of direction i had wanted to know.
Oh yes realise we wont fully know a dog until its home with you, its only like a family member/friend visiting the dogs home i realise. :)
Thank you, im not sure if we would be brave enough to get a dog without seeing it first though, but love the fact its worked for you. :)

Caporegime
Thats great thank you for that reply, yes that is the sort of direction i had wanted to know.
Oh yes realise we wont fully know a dog until its home with you, its only like a family member/friend visiting the dogs home i realise. :)
Thank you, im not sure if we would be brave enough to get a dog without seeing it first though, but love the fact its worked for you. :)

To sum up, I'd just check if you can give the dog back if (for whatever reason) it doesn't work out.

Yeah was lucky with the boy. Gf wanted to give him back early doors. And I noped it. Because he was so new he hadn't settled. And I had already bonded by this point.
Made a right change to me not wanting him and her wanting him.

Now we are best friends. :)

Good luck though. Getting a dog is a big decision!

Last edited:
Soldato
We’re looking into getting a Golden Retriever puppy in the next few months, after I’ve completed some DIY first in the house (as this is unlikely to get done once the puppy arrives).

Also watching plenty of puppy and dog training videos and looking into puppy courses.

I was just wondering what people’s daily routine is with their dogs, especially pups.

Is it better to walk a pup at a certain time of day, e.g morning as apposed to evening?

We have 3 kids, ages 13, 5 and 3 (will turn 4 before we get Pup). I work from home so will always be present other than 40 minutes per day for school drop off and pickup.

Associate
GJiY2ly.jpeg

She's a Maltipoo (Maltese / Toy Poodle)

Associate
I had 2 visits to my now recently deceased dog Tyke before I said yes to becoming his new owner, I can honestly say it was the best decision of my life :) He wasn't the first dog I'd been to see, but something just felt 'right' with him. We've just yesterday started looking online at animal rescue centres with a view to re-homing another dog, may go to look at some this weekend, will take our time though, no rush.

Soldato
I said goodbye for the last time to my best mate of 18 years 10 months, Tyke, at around 5pm today.

He was euthanised after being in poor health for sometime and severe poor health recently. The time had come, I knew my little mate had gone through enough. He was (and still is, and will be) such a positive influence on my life. He'd been with me when I was going through serious mental illness issues, when I trusted no-one else I trusted him, and for several years he was the only reason I left my house (to walk him).

He taught me that I am capable of not being selfish and to care for others, and I'm capable of love. He was a cheeky little chappie, I struck gold when he was given to me as an unwanted pup in 2005. I'm so lucky to have known him. I'm not religious, but I keep getting this feeling that dogs are a gift from a higher power to us humans. I'll miss him so much, he's in a better place now, no more suffering.

Taken as a pup in early 2005 :

i5yLp5n.jpg

Taken yesterday (22nd January 2024)

75caLcq.jpg
RIP Tyke

Sorry for your loss, 18 years of a great companion.

Associate
RIP Tyke

Sorry for your loss, 18 years of a great companion.
Thanks, I've just got a bit teary eyed as I've looked at that post of mine you've quoted above and it brought back the memories of him, I've just added a couple more photos to that post to show him in his prime :) he was fiesty little character and yes a great friend and companion. The crying is a lot less often now but I still really miss him :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I've just got a bit teary eyed as I've looked at that post of mine you've quoted above and it brought back the memories of him, I've just added a couple more photos to that post to show him in his prime :) he was fiesty little character and yes a great friend and companion. The crying is a lot less often now but I still really miss him :(
Great photos, especially the one with the cardboard...know what that's like :) often I have to go around picking up soggy bits of cardboard after they have had their fun. It does get a bit easier as time goes on, you never forget...you just look back at the good times.

Associate
Is my pup a bit odd? She's a 6-month old Cairn Terrier and she loves to eat raw vegetables. Brussel sprouts, green beans, peas, cauliflower, broccoli (doesn't eat carrots though - just chews them up). Also eats cucumber, apples, nectarines (but not bananas). If it wasn't for the fact she also eats beef chunks, fish and chicken with equal relish I would think she is a vegan dog :) Our other two dogs (2 cockapoos) wouldn't touch any of the fruit/vegetables even if they were starving.

Soldato
Is my pup a bit odd? She's a 6-month old Cairn Terrier and she loves to eat raw vegetables. Brussel sprouts, green beans, peas, cauliflower, broccoli (doesn't eat carrots though - just chews them up). Also eats cucumber, apples, nectarines (but not bananas). If it wasn't for the fact she also eats beef chunks, fish and chicken with equal relish I would think she is a vegan dog :) Our other two dogs (2 cockapoos) wouldn't touch any of the fruit/vegetables even if they were starving.

Mine eats all that and more... But then he's a Labrador so I'm sure he'd eat me if I sat still long enough.

Associate
Mine eats all that and more... But then he's a Labrador so I'm sure he'd eat me if I sat still long enough.
Err.. yes, Labradors and Golden Retrievers don't count 'cos they'll eat absolutely anything that will fit in their mouth :)
Our previous Cairn wouldn't eat veggies either, a confirmed carnivore. I'm not complaining about Lyra eating them it's actually good for their health, I wish I could get the cockapoos to eat some. Tried sneaking some into their meals but they usually spot it and eat round it. I can sometimes slip something into a mince.

Soldato

My Cocker Spaniel loves crunchy veg

Back
Top Bottom