Tag Mclaren.

Soldato
OP
Milestone reached. It is now fixed. Hard.

jrCYeYO.png

maTmVhd.png

Soldato
OP
Just had a thought. If I buy the exact same DVD drive as a spare all I need to do is undo 4 screws, remove everything but the lid and swap it in. That's a relief tbh.

Soldato
OP
OK last session for today. Realised I can fit the light box without removing the front again. Immensely relieved. So, I took the light bar.

WVzEt3N.png

And first cut it down. The idea I have is to run it across the top of the light box, where I can access it if an LED ever goes out. Very sensible of me, as normally I would bury it in there like Tag did and make it a nightmare.

To explain. I then cleaned it, scraped down through the mask and soldered wires onto the traces.

9sS9fQo.png

wc1sSQO.png

I then cleaned it again, before.

woO6lDT.png

I found it to be happiest at 5v.

LD88mhp.png

And finally.

dDRtgxt.png

Associate
Just had a thought. If I buy the exact same DVD drive as a spare all I need to do is undo 4 screws, remove everything but the lid and swap it in. That's a relief tbh.
I had a similar issue and solution with my last build. Found it was easier to swap the drive when it had issues than go through all the engineering issues

Associate
Used 3M VM before and its almost impossible to pry off and causes lots of damage.
However, the biggest issue was finding true 3M products as everyone is selling cheap copies. Thankfully I found the right stuff in the end

Soldato
OP
It took at least ten attempts to get that bezel on. What a complete F tard that was ! I didn't realise just how close they had made it. I am amazed it isn't broken tbh. But nope. Opens a little slow, but goes back in fast.

The first pic is me holding the LEDs where they will actually be. They look a bit patchier in the second shot because they are just hanging on a piece of tape and not where they should be.

I knocked up the design for the light box earlier. It is basically three 5mm frames, and a solid back piece.

GoiwtnV.png

Good thing I have a big bottle of plastic weld tbh :D

I also put the PSU where I want it (not shoved under the side, I don't want to cover up any of the label) and I have 19cm. So 1cm each side of the board. I also ordered a bag of these earlier.

lhqC74e.png

3mm counter sunk, 10mm long. Basically you can not have any screws going through the floor. They will stop the bottom going back on. As such that means I also can not fit mobo posts (can't any way, not enough height) so I am going to drill and tap some 3mm counter sunk holes underneath, bring those through, then use nuts to hold the board down.

The PSU? will be stuck down.

Pretty epic day. Even though I nearly smashed it up trying to get that bezel in.

I am going to try and take tomorrow off. Might do some machining, but yeah, my brain needs a rest.

Associate
Have been thinking about the front screen and on the original you could turn that off when you had the film on so it didnt distract you when sitting in the dark. Would this be worth considering and using one of the buttons on the front panel to turn off the leds

Soldato
OP
It will be fine. The room does not go dark, due to Ambilight.

Xmf21fo.png

See the blue hue around the TV? that isn't cheesy RGB. It is reactive and changes colours.

rw2vgno.png

I would turn it off, but it really reduces eye strain. It also looks hella cool when things dance around the edges of the screen.

Associate
When you show it like that it makes sense.
When I set up my last cinema, I converted the internal garage and painted everything black. Once I finished there was no light in the room except from the projector that went onto the 94" screen setup on one of the walls.

Soldato
OP
TBH if my living area was separate to the kitchen I would have that part as my bedroom. I would then convert the bedroom, which is the perfect size, into a theatre.

EW0bBVn.jpg

I's funny because it even has a walk in closet you could use for all of the equipment :D it's also sound proofed, as it is a trust flat for autistic people like myself, so yeah off to the perfect start. Problem is it isn't mine, so I can't be putting up walls lol.

Ah well. At least it is sound proofed, and the bonus about the room is where I have the sub.

q4OqcNH.jpg

It is on the right side in the pic. Facing toward the sofa. So you are basically sitting in one big F off horn :D And the sub itself? is brutal. You don't need laxatives in my flat :D

CjgrYd2.jpg

Black Death 15. The amp? is set to 1. 1 out of 10. And it still induces bowel movements LOL.

Soldato
OP
First machining fail in an absolute age. The funny part is this was the first piece I ever machined, and it too was a failure LOL. Ah well. Lemondade.... Lemonade...

oY8rdA1.png

I really don't know why it let go. I didn't skimp on double sided tape either. Oh well, it happens. Problem is I don't have any more 5mm in any colour. That said I think the root of the problem was using a 2mm bit. God knows why I did that. I guess I thought bigger meant best, and it would go faster. Which is daft, given it absolutely will not.

So, I had to design it as I would a speaker box.

U5g4IKu.png

And am cutting it from 3mm now.

Soldato
OP
Oh and I forgot. I spent £10 on this last night. These were 6

ZktGpfY.jpg

I have lost all but one, and it is a bit dodgy. I will keep one in the hifi box, with LibreElec on it perma. I also got these.

FQSBpiq.jpg

You will see what I want them for later if they arrive with any luck !

Soldato
OP
I just had an idea. Given the PCIE slot will be free (16x long, but runs at 2x) I wanted to put a boot in there. NVME pref, get the system started fast. Thing is I did not want a big one. No point. So I got this for £9. It's a 16gb Optane and the card to fit it.

fKHHccj.jpg

That will leave the entire SATA SSD free.

Associate
:cry: TBH if my living area was separate to the kitchen I would have that part as my bedroom. I would then convert the bedroom, which is the perfect size, into a theatre.

EW0bBVn.jpg

I's funny because it even has a walk in closet you could use for all of the equipment :D it's also sound proofed, as it is a trust flat for autistic people like myself, so yeah off to the perfect start. Problem is it isn't mine, so I can't be putting up walls lol.

Ah well. At least it is sound proofed, and the bonus about the room is where I have the sub.

q4OqcNH.jpg

It is on the right side in the pic. Facing toward the sofa. So you are basically sitting in one big F off horn :D And the sub itself? is brutal. You don't need laxatives in my flat :D

CjgrYd2.jpg

Black Death 15. The amp? is set to 1. 1 out of 10. And it still induces bowel movements LOL.
Unfortunately it's always a compromise between having a perfect listening room & having to live somewhere. It wasn't easy in the old place as I had two 12 inch subs in a box & the main bathroom was above the theatre. MrsP would complain if she was sitting in the bath & I cranked it up she said the water would jump up & down to the base

Associate
First machining fail in an absolute age. The funny part is this was the first piece I ever machined, and it too was a failure LOL. Ah well. Lemondade.... Lemonade...

oY8rdA1.png

I really don't know why it let go. I didn't skimp on double sided tape either. Oh well, it happens. Problem is I don't have any more 5mm in any colour. That said I think the root of the problem was using a 2mm bit. God knows why I did that. I guess I thought bigger meant best, and it would go faster. Which is daft, given it absolutely will not.

So, I had to design it as I would a speaker box.

U5g4IKu.png

And am cutting it from 3mm now.
Only a minor setback & no one heart. Can always purchase more material but if it jumps up then it's less fun. Plus I am sure it's going to look okay in 3mm

Back
Top Bottom