Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Pay in the UK

Soldato
I hate having a wallet so this would be quite nice. I'd be tempted to unroot for a bit and try it out. (I had an update last night for a samsung beaming service on my samsung s5 (coincidence??) which wanted to use vodafone wallet, and again, errored 'cus of root)

Associate
As much as I'll give it a go to play with, a Curve card sounds more interesting to me.

Exactly what I have already bought. Doesn't work on Android just yet though.

Best bit for me is being able to use AMEX anywhere that accepts MasterCard.

One thing I am not too sure about is any sort of insurance you get when paying through AMEX, but at least I get the cashback. :D

I got given a code where whoever uses this link gets £10 as well as myself. Already put it in another thread so hopefully no one minds. Either way I can remove it if it breaks any rules.

https://www.imaginecurve.com/
Code: bydNA

finally! though i'm now on baclaycard and use their app for mobile NFC payments, it'll be good to be able to stop being limited to that credit card. mobile payments IS the future and it's taking it's time to get here. I use it daily many times a day. can't wait to get rid of my wallet completely. I just need to figure out where i store my spare condom.

i'd like to hope within next 5 years a decent low cost front house door/car door opening system that unlocks with NFC then i can also get rid of my keys, then the next thing after that is NFC implanted inbetween my thumb and index finger so i don't need to even get out my phone.

what i love about mobile payments is the speed. i'm so fast the cashier often has to double check to see i actually paid. i just swipe my goods, click pay by card, swipe my phone and i'm gone. none of this enter card, waiting..... please enter pin. 1234, waiting........ please remove card, put back in wallet then collect goods.

Last edited:
Associate
as convenient as these methods are, phones can still run out of battery, so it is still better to tender with cash and plastic, call me cynical but I am not really a fan of this cashless society we are being pushed into and whole heartedly accepting.

Barclays and Samsung wanted their own take on NFC payments but that will change. People would prefer preloading their information into one app rather than seperate ones, and then opening seperate ones depending on what account they wish to pay from. Nah, Barclays wont stay in their own camp with the amount of other banks transitioning to android pay.

Whats next though, with this pre-conditioning, paying with implanted RFID chips?

i love how you think they are pushing us! WE the customer have wanted this for years! it's taken so ****ing long for them to do so little. I can't believe android has had the ability to do all this for what 3/4 years and still here we are in the uk with no android pay.

WE have pushed them to do this. We buy the devices that can do this and then choose to use the apps.

you can stick with your cash and card, but i much prefer this more secure, trackable payment method that's also more convenient and WAY quicker to use.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's good that android is finally getting this in the UK. I doubt I'll ever use it. I cannot rely on my mobile as you never know if it will last the day or if it breaks or whatever. In an emergency though it is handy and will be enabling it. :)

Soldato
as convenient as these methods are, phones can still run out of battery, so it is still better to tender with cash and plastic, call me cynical but I am not really a fan of this cashless society we are being pushed into and whole heartedly accepting.

It's convenient and it's safe, what's not to like?

It's not being pushed on anyone, you can still use coins and notes or chip & pin if you feel the need to.

Soldato
I wonder if my S3 will be able to use this. I bet you it won't be able to. Either it won't have the required security blah blah...

Man of Honour
I have no issue with that. I would quite happily have one now :)

Me too. Would be great. Less stuff in the pockets the better.

Just wish all shops would have card payment systems, especially as contactless is so fast. It's annoying having to handle cash for pubs, takeaways etc. Get a bunch of change left over, even notes left over that are useless for most of the month.

Keys are what really annoy me, got a partial solution at the moment, but bio metrics need to take off, birth for cars, home and everything else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom