Poll: The EU Referendum: What Will You Vote? (New Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Bloody hell... Galloway agreeing with Farage!

I think I just saw four horsemen riding past my window. :D

:D:D

Hell frozen over, cat and dogs living in harmony, the worst parts of the bible

If that were true, why didn't HMRC this week say their hands were tied by the EU?

Because it would look too bad for the IN campaign of which the Government is fronting

With the way voting usually goes on important national issues in the EU. If Britain votes to leave, they will probably have to keep voting until they decide to stay in the EU.

This is why i said that not only to we have to win, we have to win by a big margin to give the EU a decisive message that we're not interested in them, if it's less than 10% gap the EU could force another referendum

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't see how recessions are manufactured? I suppose you also don't believe the stock markets are rigged too?

Government and the super rich do get together.... Just look at donations and all the evidence of insider trading.... How come a company earning $60bn a year and worth $500+bn only has to pay miniscule amounts of tax... How come companies can set up HQ in some countries to avoid paying tax.... That's right its manufactured I can't believe people can still think differently about recessions

Soldato

Bonus irony: British 'patriots' watching a propaganda channel of a foreign state, because apparently the BBC and other major national outlets are corrupt beyond measure, to reinforce their prejudiced view on a crucial political decision -- you cannot make it up! :D Be honest, did you just tune in to see 'ol Nige flash his debate-winning TV grin? Or do you just prefer the broadcasters who say the things you like to hear? :p

Wait are you saying the BBC is reliable??? How come I read about the HSBC scandal 2-3days before the BBC reported it... Didn't have anything to do with the fact that their chairwoman sits/sat on their board... The BBC fail to report on massive swathes of things. The migrants is an excellent example. The "foreign state media" (what is the BBC if not state media) was reporting about migrants attacks on EU citizens a week before anything was dared to be released. This was stuff the oh so reliable Aunty refused point blank to publish... Its exactly the same as the KCNA

Last hurrah: Rabidly anti-Tory, but still puzzlingly Blue Labour voters, either for lack of quality information, education or general quality of life, are pushing for a political decision that will inexorably hand their 'sworn enemy' a near-total dominion over their lives. :p In the words of the Leave camp, 'There will be pain!'. Turkeys, Christmas, what what! :p:D I'll do alright either way, but I don't see the disenfranchised working class logic in this.

No comments there... That is effectively the EC in a nutshell an authoritarian dictatorship who are not accountable and cannot be sacked. Its like in the case of Assange the media pedals hate says international things are good but then a panel rules against the corrupt entity and all of a sudden we can ignore what we signed up to. The system stinks we can agree on that much

Caporegime
You can't see how recessions are manufactured? I suppose you also don't believe the stock markets are rigged too?

No, I just put it down to human nature. Greed that isn't well enough kept in check; arrogance; miscalculation; excessive risk taking; short-sightedness of shareholders; the fact that capitalism isn't perfect.

Much easier to believe that people make mistakes, and that the system is prone to highs and lows, than to believe that everything that happens does so because of shady deals between the govt and their "handlers".

Human nature is more compelling to me than vast conspiracies.

Soldato
No, I just put it down to human nature. Greed that isn't well enough kept in check; arrogance; miscalculation; excessive risk taking; short-sightedness of shareholders; the fact that capitalism isn't perfect.

Much easier to believe that people make mistakes, and that the system is prone to highs and lows, than to believe that everything that happens does so because of shady deals between the govt and their "handlers".

Human nature is more compelling to me than vast conspiracies.

That's the crux really. Greed, the wealthy will still find some way of preserving their money (pulling out of shares to avoid exposure) invest in other ABS eg hold or they can just make a bet and get paid. I read that the derivatives market is now worth $1,000,000,000,000,000... Most of this is speculation.

There is plenty of money out there. Plenty.

Govt said it couldn't afford £300m for EMA but then went into Libya months later spending in excess of that... Where did that money come from? Where did the £1.2bn come from we recently gave to house migrants?

Human nature is capable of being a great architect

Soldato
As I said in my previous post, we can't without the EUs tacit approval. The EC decides on this

You are wrong but feel free to try to find some evidence to back up your claim.

Government and the super rich do get together.... Just look at donations and all the evidence of insider trading.... How come a company earning $60bn a year and worth $500+bn only has to pay miniscule amounts of tax... How come companies can set up HQ in some countries to avoid paying tax.... That's right its manufactured I can't believe people can still think differently about recessions

Don't forget the fake Moon Landing and the Loch Ness Monster.

Soldato
Re '...we leave the EU, the immigration figures drop to 10s of thousands and we take no more refugees.' -- that's just utter bull manure! Simply glance at what a report on low-skilled migration (the biggest peeve here) for the goverment that will be still running this country after Brexit says: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/333083/MAC-Migrants_in_low-skilled_work__Full_report_2014.pdf

As I said many pages ago, if you are solely basing your referendum decision on migration concerns, you'll be swallowing the economic pain for decades without getting anything near to what you want.

Doing some back-of-envelope calculations, I can't see net numbers falling dramatically below 125,000 - 180,000 (especially if more Brits find it difficult to work abroad past Brexit and stay yearly).

That's assuming student numbers take a dip, the war in Syria magically ends and you can persuade more unemployed persons to take up seasonal and unsteady jobs, which may or may not remain static in number.

Now, how many people from the 'desirable' Commonwealth do you wish to bring? Rough number? So, you end up at square one, only with the lower end of the bi-modal labour distribution ending up being shifted from one geographic region to another as the source. And sorry, I don't see Aussies, or other native English speakers, opting to come here to toil the fields or work in meat-packing. Those who do come now tend to concentrate in services, not manual labour via agencies.

Furthermore, lumping refugees together in with the economic migration within the EU is a gaping category error. We've always taken people in on humanitarian grounds, and granted asylum to those who needed it; neither process will stop regardless of where we end up in the world.

kitch9 said:
You arm flappers are funny.

Your head in the sand looks far more amusing.:p

RaohNS said:
Recessions are manufactured...

They aren't. You're assuming a broad conspiracy, in a sphere of human activity where network effects and incomplete decision making reigns supreme, and you're giving individual agents far more agency and control over events (as opposed to information and expectation about these events) than they really have.

But there are philosophical underpinnings for boom and bust (or more generally instabilities in the markets), or indeed people failing to heed them post-crisis. Off the top of my head the most egregious are:

1) Markets are natural phenomena in the same way any physical (macro-scale)system is; this allows you to borrow some modelling tools from Physics directly, but is a very idealised view for social systems.

2) Markets and agents in them are free, rational and always operate on sufficient (or complete, depending on your school of economics) information. This bit is borrowed wholesale from the cradle of game theory, and again fails badly when conditions become wobbly (stochastic) and time-constrained. Consider what happens in a burning building or a typical poker game.

3) Big market institutions can be considered as individuals in modelling and have no significant market-distorting effects. This is equivalent to asserting the weaker version of 'Monopolies are Good!'

4) Representatives of shared interests act for the rational benefit of their clients and not in their self-interest. This has been blown out of the water since 1997, or even earlier if you want to be harsh.

5) Markets 'naturally' tend to the most optimum equilibrium point. Scots and their invisible hands! It's an attractive notion, but doesn't pan out in reality as per (4) and (6).

6) False information from and errors of one agent do not affect expectations and positions of another agent. Sure, with infinite time all noise can be filtered effectively; trouble is that we have no infinite time in which to make our decisions.

7) More generally, the information we create by participating in the markets is decoupled from both the effects of our decisions and the events we observe; i.e. we do not shape the [social] reality we observe.

8) Linear models are better than non-linear models (or in common tongue: Simple solutions to complex problems are both possible and desirable). I guess intuitionist economists skip the applied maths class in which children learn to adjust their model when it fails disastrously. Linear is easy but requires bags of salt and lots of caution.

9) Markets apply to everything. You hear this line a lot in the States, and even the people who sputter it don't really comprehend what they are saying or believe it (i.e. they still find a sphere of human activity, be it family planning or crime, where moral judgements are necessary... and markets are amoral by definition -- they don't seek to answer what's right or wrong, only what's valuable and quantitatively optimal).

Taken separately, these can lose your hedge fund a few bob now and again but broadly work out in stable conditions. Taken together over an extended period of time, you get a bubble-laden see-saw and lots of head-scratching come turmoil (these core assumptions are infamous for producing prudence blind zones under pressure); followed by panic.

Still, I'm pro-capitalism in the same way I'm pro-democracy and pro-EU: three concrete systems that can be criticised and reformed, which work to structure society and shape our world. No better concrete alternatives yet emerged. In particular, the Marxist critique is fun, until your realise its core assumptions are both always verifiable (apply to everything, describe everything and hence nothing) and never falsifiable (the theory can never be discarded in the face of new evidence or errors) -- utterly useless as an empirical theory of economics; and the challenges of economics do not disappear when you shift resources and means of production from one type of ownership to another, they are just obscured, as China, NK, Cuba and USSR discovered after their glorious uprisings.

I initially left out violence, but it is a pretty obvious consequence of ideals meeting a rather uncooperative reality, with emotion substituting for reason and a sound plan of action (which must be modifiable in the face of evidence and human error); irregardless of whether you prefer to swing blind from the left or the right.

Last edited:
Soldato
dj said:
They aren't. You're assuming a broad conspiracy, in a sphere of human activity where network effects and incomplete decision making reigns supreme, and you're giving individual agents far more agency and control over events (as opposed to information and expectation about these events) than they really have.

Really? Insider trading refutes that argument totally. For example, Prince Charles regularly gets insider trading info by asking for cabinet minutes thus maximizing his potential gains arising out of policy choice.

In response to point 3) also refuted by the fact if oil or financial institutions have a bad month there is either a short term gain (low oil prices) or a medium to long term problem through finance. This is usually where ABS is responsible for a collapse. Banks now have 4x the exposure than they had before the crash for the simple reason nothings changed and in fact banks have become riskier.

I agree with some of the other points in part but trivialities aren't worth debating. I agree with you on some level regarding capitalism. I am pro capitalism and democracy. The reality is that we do not have true or a better democracy (AV) and our society is not capitalist but corporatist. TTIP and the legal stance towards Ta dodging finalises the truth of this.

In order for a government to succeed and fight back they need to introduce a tax on UK sales by the corporations operating here. For example if MS make £500m worth of UK profit (without shifting profit onto loss bearing areas) then that 500m should be subject to a corporation tax.

Just 1% of the wealth of the 1% would eradicate all of our problems. Tax avoidance/evasion (there is no difference in my opinion and the words carry almost the same thing) costs the UK a conservative guess cost £100bn+

Soldato
We are the 5th largest economy in the world, the Uk is no push over and never has been.

We ruled half the planet at one time, you think that it disappeared overnight.

The EU know for a fact the UK is as much a linchpin to the EU as Germany.

We go they all go. ;)

Vote out! Are balls are big and our hearts are strong, we are British after all. ;)

C64

C64

Soldato
The amount that want to stay in is shocking and quite scary.

Voting to kiss goodbye to representation have some people lost their minds ?.

Last edited:
Soldato
We have the best engineers and inventors on the planet, so we left the EU!

Do you think China, Russia, US and anyone else would shoo us because we left the EU. :rolleyes:

I don't get this we are week all of a sudden mentality and without the EU we are doomed to failure.

Its bloody ridiculous. :mad:

Caporegime
We have the best engineers and inventors on the planet, so we left the EU!

There's nothing intrinsically special about British people, and British companies will select the best talent they can get regardless of their nationality.

Blind nationalism isn't going to solve our problems, any more than harping on about the war(s).

I'm not going to put down Britain here, because we do have many talented people. But we all drive around in German and Japanese cars, so clearly we don't have a monopoly on engineering prowess. (Even if they're assembled in the UK.)

I'm sure the EU won't beg us to stay in, and they won't be wailing in the streets if we leave. It would probably hurt them a little, and it would probably hurt us a little more.

Won't be the end of the world, but if it ends up hurting even a little, it's still a self-inflicted wound that needn't have been.

Is anybody predicting that the UK economy will be significantly improved outside the EU? Not that I've heard. Opinions seem to range from "really bad news" to "it'll be OK", or even "we'll negotiate treaties that mean very little changes". Nobody is saying what a wonderful time we'll have if we leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom