The OCZ Vertex 3 Thread

Man of Honour
OP
Does anyone have the power consumption and heat of this drive when at load?

oczver4.jpg

oczver5.jpg
oczver6.jpg

Associate
Can someone please help...

I have a ASUS Rampage III Extreme and after reading this thread it looks like I have the rubbish Marvel Controller. I take it I am going to need a PCI-E card, any recommendations? My Vertex 3 is coming on Monday...

Associate

I have a ASUS Rampage III Extreme and after reading this thread it looks like I have the rubbish Marvel Controller. I take it I am going to need a PCI-E card, any recommendations? My Vertex 3 is coming on Monday...

This question has been asked three time in this thread, but no answers as of yet.

Associate
This question has been asked three time in this thread, but no answers as of yet.

I've been searching the web and I can't find a single review where they actually push the controller cards to the limit (they push it to about 250-350MB). Currently looking at the ASUS U3S6, it's also quite difficult to find out out what chips the controller cards actually use.

Having been busy lately I completely forgot to research into the controllers on this motherboard, for some reason I thought it was an Intel one!

EDIT: The ASUS uses Marvell, damn it.

Associate
Hutchy said:
I've been searching the web and I can't find a single review where they actually push the controller cards to the limit (they push it to about 250-350MB). Currently looking at the ASUS U3S6, it's also quite difficult to find out out what chips the controller cards actually use.

Having been busy lately I completely forgot to research into the controllers on this motherboard, for some reason I thought it was an Intel one!

EDIT: The ASUS uses Marvell, damn it.

My U3S6 + Vertex 3 combo is getting 285-300 read and about 180 writes. I can't figure out if it's the U3S6 or something else causing the problem.

Soldato

Someone is going to have to take the plunge and be the guinea pig :eek:

I have vertex 3 due Monday and an x58 mobo and having the same problems VortX

Also there's the question of Trim with controller cards... It Has been stated using win7 drivers for marvel might allow trim but until tested who knows :(

Associate
total speed isnt the only reason to buy this drive, read up on everything else it has! 60k iops for a start, hardware encription and compression too. brilliant! mine is due monday :)

Associate
total speed isnt the only reason to buy this drive, read up on everything else it has! 60k iops for a start, hardware encription and compression too. brilliant! mine is due monday :)

I may just stick with the on-board Marvell. I'm definitely not buying a new motherboard and all of the controller cards seem to use the Marvell chipset. So until someone releases an Intel powered controller card or a card that can reach 6 Gb/s properly, I will just stick with what I have. It's not as if the speeds are "bad" they just aren't as good as I hoped they would be.

Coming from a WD 640GB HDD with a top speed of 110MB/Sec, any SSD will be nice :).

Associate
Associate
I may just stick with the on-board Marvell. I'm definitely not buying a new motherboard and all of the controller cards seem to use the Marvell chipset. So until someone releases an Intel powered controller card or a card that can reach 6 Gb/s properly, I will just stick with what I have. It's not as if the speeds are "bad" they just aren't as good as I hoped they would be.

Coming from a WD 640GB HDD with a top speed of 110MB/Sec, any SSD will be nice :).

I'm in the same boat as you. Its not going to put me off getting this Drive though. Even if I keep my Rampage 3 for another year, the Vertex 3 will still be a fast drive when I do finally update my MB. I may not get the drives full potential just yet but Its going to be a lot faster than my current HDD. ;)

Associate
Ive been looking at SSD's for many months if not years and i wanted to know if i did buy a OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb/240Gb What is the lifespan on it? Roughly?

Because if its much longer than a HDD i could think of buying a Vertex 3 as more of an investment, because i can put it in any new system i get in the future. :)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom